News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Vibration issues

Started by OHjim, August 17, 2011, 04:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Before you start digging a big hole for yourself,how close is the local Triumph dealer?,get the lastest tune put in, it's not expensive and 20 minutes tops and you'll get a quick result and cut down the options of what the problem is.

Having looked at your video a couple of times,exactly what are trying to replicate?? I've never had a bike yet that doesn't do what yours or my Tiger or any of the other bikes I own do.

lucifer

I found raising my long term fuel trim from 4.6 to 5.0 smoothed out the bike at higher revs. I am now at the point that I adjust it up for motorway driving and down for twisties/ round town.

TuneECU has been the savour of my bike/me relationship.

CP

OHjim

I went to the dealer at lunch and they put in 10176, started it and let it idle till the fan came on.  Didn't do anything for the vibes.  Will have to wait and see for the cold starting/stalling issue.  

While it was running, he ran some sort of diagnostic check.  It came back with 3 problems.  One was throttle bodies out of sync and another was something to do with the throttle idle position.  Cannot remember the third.  

Will try to tear into it this weekend.

Jim

Chris Canning

Quote from: "OHjim"I went to the dealer at lunch and they put in 10176, started it and let it idle till the fan came on.  Didn't do anything for the vibes.  Will have to wait and see for the cold starting/stalling issue.  

While it was running, he ran some sort of diagnostic check.  It came back with 3 problems.  One was throttle bodies out of sync and another was something to do with the throttle idle position.  Cannot remember the third.  

Jim

What was the dealers opinion on the bike,I'd suggest you find another Tiger owner first and cross check with them.

As I said in the other post,whats with reving knackers off the bike at 4/5 revs,what relevance does that have.

metalguru

Quote from: Chris CanningYes the chain is well knackered as you can see by the tight links but still gets the jobs done,well it will till this winter when it'll get a new one.

Strange you should say that Chris but it looks like a very similar make chain to mine and even useing the most slippery teflon chain lube on the market, mine has a few tight links but it developed these after about 500 miles although the chain itself is not worn at all!!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

metalguru

Quote from: "OHjim"I went to the dealer at lunch and they put in 10176, started it and let it idle till the fan came on.  Didn't do anything for the vibes.  Will have to wait and see for the cold starting/stalling issue.  

Jim

That should be tune 10172 or 10173.

The tune the stealer has loaded is specific for Brazil. This may not improve matters.

The dealer must be very clever if he diagnosed the TB's were out of sync without first removing the tank and attatching guages, although an experienced ear can sometimes tell.

A clean of the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) thats the triangular thing under the airbox with 3 pipes coming from it to the TBs and lube with some silicone/teflon spray NOT WD40 is a good tip.

You did not say if you bought the bike from a dealer or private, if it was a dealer then they should be responsible for making it start/run correctly.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

OHjim

I bought it private party.  He said the "diagnostics" were telling him the TB's were out of sync, but what I saw on the computer screen said that the computer could not check that and showed a "?".

It was only $36 for them to look at it, so I'm not out too much.  I will be getting the cable and researching how to use TuneECU.  I ordered the cruise control and it should get here middle of the week next, so I may wait till next weekend to remove the tank and tackle both the install and the sync.

Danny955i

Here's a quick thing... Since the bike is so old, and it's only got a short amount of miles on it... have you taken the air filter out???

There is a good chance a clogged, or 'nested' air filter could be the culprit.

That, and maybe change the sparkplugs.

Throttle bodies should not get that out of whack to create that much vibration with that low miles.

And I'm 100% sure it's nothing chassis related (chain, tires, bearings, etc.)

metalguru

Quote from: "OHjim"It was only $36 for them to look at it, so I'm not out too much.  I will be getting the cable and researching how to use TuneECU.  I ordered the cruise control and it should get here middle of the week next, so I may wait till next weekend to remove the tank and tackle both the install and the sync.

While you are in there it is a good idea to replace the convoluted hoses from the IACV to the TBs as these have a small sealing land and are prone to leak. Running as weak as these engines do on a standard tune any air leak is bad news. They can be replaced with silicone tube in any colour you fancy, just be careful when sizing length to avoid kinks when fitted.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

OHjim

Quote from: "metalguru"While you are in there it is a good idea to replace the convoluted hoses from the IACV to the TBs as these have a small sealing land and are prone to leak. Running as weak as these engines do on a standard tune any air leak is bad news. They can be replaced with silicone tube in any colour you fancy, just be careful when sizing length to avoid kinks when fitted.

Do you know what size (ID) so I can purchase before going in?

Chris Canning

Quote from: "metalguru"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"Yes the chain is well knackered as you can see by the tight links but still gets the jobs done,well it will till this winter when it'll get a new one.

Strange you should say that Chris but it looks like a very similar make chain to mine and even useing the most slippery teflon chain lube on the market, mine has a few tight links but it developed these after about 500 miles although the chain itself is not worn at all!!

Well it's just survived another gung ho ride to Holland and back  :D ,with the usual comments, 'Chain looks a bit slack'  :roll:

metalguru

Quote from: "OHjim"
Quote from: "metalguru"While you are in there it is a good idea to replace the convoluted hoses from the IACV to the TBs as these have a small sealing land and are prone to leak. Running as weak as these engines do on a standard tune any air leak is bad news. They can be replaced with silicone tube in any colour you fancy, just be careful when sizing length to avoid kinks when fitted.

Do you know what size (ID) so I can purchase before going in?

Yes it is 6mm silicone tube suitable for vacuum.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

TigerTrax

OHjim....

If that thing is vibrating sitting in neutral on the driveway....
Something is loose  (exhaust bolts ... common ) or you have air-gas-spark issues. I think it may be pretty simple.

Call the dealer who did your map ( I'm thinking Engles ) and ask to speak with Mike Jones tell him you just got a new tune from them to correct a rough running motor. Tell them the tune THEY put in may be the wrong tune. Get it verified.

I have an '06... silk smooth for a Brit Rubic Cube!
( PS I live in Omaha  / Jerry Moffitt )

Everytime I buy a used bike ( mine had 1200 miles ).....
I changed everything! Then I can say I know what's in there.

While that tank is off... and nearly empty...  Pull the fuel valve off ....hold the tank up and drain everything you can out. Use a white cloth to catch gas and debris, look for water. Clean the fuel valve ( they can get gunky inside ) and replace. Check every hose to make certain it is clean and
not kinked.

When you replace the tank. Get rid of that POS torque head screw at the bottom (under the battery holder ) and replace it with a hex head... you'll be glad you did...... nest time you pull the tank.
Put some premium gas in it and maybe some injector cleaner and run the snot out of it. ( Don't fill the tank ... you may have to pull it again .. just hook everything up ( battery too ) and prop the tank with a short 2 x 6 ) under the tail  and start it up. ( For GOSH sakes make certain everything is connected! uh.. do it outside! )

There are only a few things it can be .... except it may have sat a long time ... that can be an issue. It's fixable ... just a head scratcher.

PS: Check Up & Coming > Jasper????? on this forum.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

OHjim

Quote from: "metalguru"Yes it is 6mm silicone tube suitable for vacuum.

I bought some 6mm tubing, but it looks big.  Do I need 4mm not 6mm?  Note that I have not taken anything apart yet and cannot see anything from the sides.

TT - I went to Engle's yesterday at lunch and Mike put in 10173.  He felt the map for the TOR can was a little richer so the bike would not run as lean.  I have the stock exhaust.  He said to try it and he will put on 72 if I don't like it. It didn't help the vibration.  But it starts a bit better.

I will be digging into it this weekend.  I've got the cruise control and some new iridium plugs.  I did not get a new air filter.  May have to run by Engle's Saturday if needed.  Wish there was a cheaper one available.

Jim

Chris Canning

Quote from: "OHjim"
Quote from: "metalguru"Yes it is 6mm silicone tube suitable for vacuum.

I bought some 6mm tubing, but it looks big.  Do I need 4mm not 6mm?  Note that I have not taken anything apart yet and cannot see anything from the sides.

TT - I went to Engle's yesterday at lunch and Mike put in 10173.  He felt the map for the TOR can was a little richer so the bike would not run as lean.  I have the stock exhaust.  He said to try it and he will put on 72 if I don't like it. It didn't help the vibration.  But it starts a bit better.

I will be digging into it this weekend.  I've got the cruise control and some new iridium plugs.  I did not get a new air filter.  May have to run by Engle's Saturday if needed.  Wish there was a cheaper one available.

Jim

Does the dealer agree that it's vibrating excessively.