News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

its arrived!

Started by NeilD, September 02, 2011, 06:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChazzyB

Neil, my experience with the temp gauge is that in normal riding (not stop/start traffic), the needle barely clears the solid block at the bottom of the gauge. Same on both my wire-wheel Girly and 955i Speed Triple.

My Tiger once puked its coolant when I left it running for a while on the drive. I had to pull the tank to refill the system, got the air out  and it's never done it again. Weird.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

NeilD

yep my Steamer was the same with the temp gauge.. not sure why it decided to puke it out at that point as I'd done some sitting in traffic and getting lost stuff earlier, and prior to getting home I'd had a good 70 miles cross country run pretty much without stopping... oh well we shall see what they do..

drunk_uncle

You said that the seat was in the high position.  Are the seats adjustable on the late model girlies?
Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who don't!!

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

drunk_uncle

Thanks I am a brand new Tiger owner.  I love the bike, just wish I know what was causing the stupid grinding sound when I use the clutch!!
Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who don't!!

metalguru

Quote from: "drunk_uncle"Thanks I am a brand new Tiger owner.  I love the bike, just wish I know what was causing the stupid grinding sound when I use the clutch!!

I think that removal of the clutch case may reveal some tired clutch bearings, only a guess as can't listen to it or look at the adjustment, but if it is noisy when the clutch lever is pulled then a good place to start!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

So how are we getting on with the transition from carbs to injection  :D

Nick Calne

Only just noticed this thread.  Glad to see you got a new bike Neil.  Hope it's working out.  Bound to be niggles with a new bike til you get used to it.  Same whatever you get.

Oh and you'll have to change your avatar thingy now.  That blue bike is in my garage!  :lol:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

NeilD

well its affectionately now known as The Big Black B'stard, so maybe that gives you a clue..  :D   Actually I've been out on it today and just ridden it and tried (quite succesfully) to ignore the hunting - its booked into my local Triumph  Stealer on Monday for them to plug it in and see what map is loaded, and whether any other faults show up.. also got a rad cap on order..
Only thing I will have to watch out for is the 'on/off' nature of the throttle if I'm on a wet road...

metalguru

Quote from: "NeilD"Only thing I will have to watch out for is the 'on/off' nature of the throttle if I'm on a wet road...

I used to have an 885i that I called Christine after the car...That was the one I hit a horse on last year so proved my point that it was possessed!!
Spent more time working on the thing than riding it!!

Slightly more serious though the hunting can be cured very easily, do you have an OBDII lead and a laptop? If you have you are quite welcome to try my map which has eliminated the surging and on-off throttle...Quite a few other miladies as well.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

NeilD

hi.. I dont have a laptop, hence why I'm giving it to the dealer to start off with and see what they come up with..  plan is to get a laptop in the pre/post christmas (oooh no, I said it!!) sales and at that point i'll get a cable and try your map.  8)

NeilD

well, the BBB is overnighting at the local Triumph dealers, tomorrow they will spend another day I suspect scratching their heads trying to work out why the POS wont run properly..
they're happy with the 'map', appparently the fault is related to #1 cylinder, they think it might be the throttle body ? . they've checked all the valve clearences and they're ok, compression test was ok, they removed the scottoiler (as I requested) however some halfwit (at Laguna Ashford I believe) has removed the throttlebody and drilled n tapped a hole rather than use the correct T Piece..  
anyway apparently #1 cyclinder is running lean, and the only way to get it rich enough is to adjust the t/body till its virtually full on and theres hardly any movement on the flap?? by the way this may or may not be what he said, so dont shoot huim down too quickly!
anyway I've got to run the loan bike back in the morning so I'll try and and get an update.. feckin thing!

Chris Canning

Did you buy it private or from the dealer were the bike is.

NeilD

bought from another (non triumph) dealer... it went back to him initially and was returned with the 'they all do that' line after it had been on a dyno (apparently).. which is why I've now taken it to a Triumph place for some proper fault finding which I can go back to him with...

Chris Canning

Quote from: "NeilD"bought from another (non triumph) dealer... it went back to him initially and was returned with the 'they all do that' line after it had been on a dyno (apparently).. which is why I've now taken it to a Triumph place for some proper fault finding which I can go back to him with...

What a bugger,because mine has been a gem over the years,with every chance it'll get wheeled out the garage to go to Le-Mans on thursday even though the forecast is good and I should take something else. :roll: