News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer vs XTZ750 Super Tenere

Started by harre, January 12, 2012, 01:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harre

For reasons that are a bit obscure even to me I have bought yet another big trailie. It's a Yamaha XTZ 750 Super Tenere (S10). I have always been a bit interested in this bike. Firstly, the Steamer resembles this bike a lot, and secondly, the S10 has Dakar genes. I have only ridden it briefly and from that I've got the impression that it is quite similar to the Steamer when it comes to power delivery and riding position. The S10 weather protection is non-existant, so I will have to fit a rally screen of some kind. The front fairings are still very similar and I get the impression that the S10 have inspired the Triumph designers quite a lot. The S10 lights are bigger. The S10 seat height is slightly higher and the bike feels much lighter with a lower center of gravity. I have already dropped it (!) and picking it up was a breeze compared to the Steamer. One thing I've noticed is that the forks looks very similar (I have 98 Steamer), maybe they are from the same manufacturer? The S10 has the same front brake pads. I like 21 inch front wheel and the lighter, more purposeful design of the S10. From what I've read the engine is bullet proof, but the carb emulsion tubes will wear out. It's also easy to upgrade the engine to an 850 with parts from the TDM850.
However, the S10 will not replace my Steamer. It will be a low (extremely low) budget rebuild project.

MarkShelley

I have owned an S10 also. I would say the build quality of the steamer is far superior and the steamer is also quicker I reckon.
A bit off topic, but I see you have a new screen which I presume is home made. Was it adapted from a screen from another bike?
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

Nick Calne

Having had a Ten in the past there are a few things I'd say.  Mostly ar5e!

- Check all the fairing mount lugs in the plastic.  If they break, it's an ar5e to get them sorted.  If they are splitting, fix it now, right now!

- On the subject of ar5e, the seat hurts you bad after about 45mins.

- I found it not much easier to ride the ten off road than the steamer...perhaps the ten was lighter maybe?  I'd love to know what you find....

- I was a arse to sell it.  I bought a sports bike instead and I never use it.  I regret my stupidity every time I see a Ten.  I bought the first steamer partially to compensate and make myself feel less of an ar5e.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

MIMbox

They definitely look related.!!
I would love some close up shots of your steamer screen, I have the extended one from power bronze, but  your one just looks nicer imho.

harre

Mark: It's difficult to compare build quality for me, since the S10 is eight years older and has been through more abuse (I payed £1000). The frame is a it rusty though. However, I agree that the Steamer feels more solid and has better looks (IMHO). On the other hand some minor things about the Steamer has irritated me: DAR, weak sprag clutch, location of fuse box, the shared sprocket cover, the tight airfilter assembly (and location), the handlebars and high footpegs. Some things are easily fixed some not. The S10 will of course have it's own flaws. I mainly bought the S10 because I was inspired by many cool rebuilds of it. Just fit a rally screen and you're off to Dakar :D .
QuoteA bit off topic, but I see you have a new screen which I presume is home made. Was it adapted from a screen from another bike?
It's an MRA screen, check this thread: http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=[/quote]

nickalne: thanks for the advice on the fairing mount lugs. The seat on this S10 has been modified for better comfort, too early to say if it helps though (the Steamer seat works perfectly for me).