News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HID lights

Started by Bob Tosi, August 30, 2012, 07:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

Has anyone converted their lights to HID?  I'm wantingore light because I commute at might mostly.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Sin_Tiger

Waste of effort and money on Streamers in my opinion. I cleaned the lenses, reflectors and that alone made an amazing difference.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JetdocX

I think the headlights work better than any other bike I've owned or ridden.

HID's isn't just popping the new arc bulb in the hole.  They need the proper reflector to work correctly.

It can be done, but you'd have that hideous gaping hole where the headlight reflectors used to be.
From parts unknown.

metalguru

Quote from: Bob Tosi on August 30, 2012, 07:47:14 AM
Has anyone converted their lights to HID?  I'm wantingore light because I commute at might mostly.

These are quite good for the money depending on where you are.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-100W-XENON-SuperWhite-Halogen-Car-Headlight-Bulbs-x2-/150653106789?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item23139ffa65

Any more powerful you will be pushing the limit of the generator.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

FoothillRyder

H4's get dimmer over time, especially noticeable when they're always on. As has been mentioned, cleaning the lenses will help some. I also have Xenon bulbs; but not the 100W guys. Even a 55/60W Xenon gives you more perceived light than a standard 55/60W H4 because of the color of the light.

:occasion14
- FoothillRyder

'97 Trophy 3, '98 Tiger, '96 Sprint
AMA 289558, COP# 0001, BIR# 47
www.foothillryder.com

Bixxer Bob

High power Xenon will test your generator, whilst HIDs are kind to it as they pull only 35w and are brighter than the sun  :XXsunsmile. I have them in my Blackbird; would I go back to ordinary bulbs?  Not likely! 

BUT!!!   they can be voltage sensitive.  If your battery is getting tired they won't always fire up first time.  In the 'Bird if I left the lights on, then started the engine, the HID went out and wouldn't refire until the battery had recovered.

Also, due to brightness, you have to ensure your lights are properly set so you aren't blinding oncomers.   And it's no good saying you don't care, it'll help them see you;  go stare into one if you think it doesn't matter.  They're so bright you'll only antagonise people - or the law enforcers.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

i was talkin to an mot tester about fittin HIDs into my bike and he said that cos of what they are when the lights get checked with that beam aligner, it can cause an irregular pattern so can fail the mot cos of them. i think i also remember seein somewhere that its illegal to retro fit bikes with em cos of this (?)
find out first ya wouldnt wanna waste ya money on em
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

London_Phil

I believe that for us in the UK, HID lights have to have  beam height adjusters, due to the high brightness, so cheap kits are not a good idea. As already mentioned, beam pattern differs, so you would need new reflectors for correct operation. I suspect ancillary lighting is probably the way to go.
I got some extra lights with 55w bulbs, but the alternator prefers the LED bulbs fitted in there place. Depending on what you need the LED lights give a good illumination around the  short distance, showing kerbs and the like, so may be worth considering.

Bixxer Bob

Corect, HIDS fitted as standard eqipment have to have automatic self-levellers to avoid dazzle.  Retro fitting is not illegal because - at the moment - the law is a mess.  It still talks in terms of wattage which, with the advent of HIDs, Xenons and LEDs is nonsense.  It does not yet say you can't retrofit fit them however, it can get you a ticket for a re-mot if you are stopped for dazzling oncomers.  The reflector pattern issue only arises if you fit HID bulbs of the wrong length (they come in three lengths that I know of). The ones I have arc at the exact point where the filament was in the old bulb so the beam pattern is unaffected.  I've had them for 6 years and NEVER had a problem with getting through an MOT.

Mine are adjusted so that when following a car, the horizontal upper edge of the beam - which is much more pronounced than with ordinary filament lamps- is just below the bottom edge of the rear window of an average family car when following at a safe distance.  This ensures I'm not dazzling the car in front or anyone coming the other way. 

I asked my new MOT guy this year did he want me to change the bulbs before the test and he said the type of bulb isn't part of the test, or the brightness, just the beam pattern.  This only UK law of course.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 01, 2012, 12:15:30 PM
Retro fitting is not illegal because - at the moment - the law is a mess.  It still talks in terms of wattage which, with the advent of HIDs, Xenons and LEDs is nonsense.  It does not yet say you can't retrofit fit them

Nothing to do with wattage or retro fitting, which as you point out isn't illegal, the law states they may only be fitted to vehicles with a self levelling device, that is the car or the lights. Last time I looked Blackbirds don't have them.  :thumbsup

Now the other side of that is as you also pointed out and before Chris jumps down my neck, the likelyhood of being stopped for it is virtually nil.

Still don't agree with it though
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Thanks for picking that up John, I should have checked before I posted as its a while since I read the regs.  And they have changed.  And it's worse than you describe.  The whole lamp has to be changed for a type-approved model, retro fit HIDs are not allowed. 

But it doesn't stop there, there are checks for "ECU chipping" coming as well, which will make it illegal to have a modified map installed.   Although once the ECU log files are deleted, unless they check actual map values, I can't see how they'll know.  I'm guessing my 'Bird's Power Commander will be a no-no as well....

Sin_Tiger

Self levelling suspension and powered lens washer, for cars anyway, if my memory serves me today.

I agree with BB, most effective lights I've seen, the XC's are damn good too. Which is strange considering the H4 arrangement was always understood to be a compromise between dip and main.

I also have nothing against HID's as such, I converted the dip on the Roadie long ago, just not safe to ride at night and I tried all I could think of. Just a crap lens reflector design.

When I said clean the lens, I meant the inside of the lens and the reflector, I was amazed at the dust coating. Use surgical alcohol or the like, nothing stronger for fear of damaging the silvering and the adhesive joining the lens to the reflector. Those long Q tops or make your own bendy ones from stiff wire, coated cost hangers are good, and some lint free cloth.

I started on a three stage program for best light output with minimal outlay but haven't got past stage one, this might spur me to finish the job and post it up.

1 - Clean lens and reflector
2 - Rewire with heavy gauge cable direct from the battery through a solid state relay
3 - Replace the, God knows how old, H4's that were in it when I bought her, with Osram night breakers, these are seriously good for the money, draw no more current than a standard H4 and are robust, I've used them in my old Rangies.

Start with the simple cheap bit, clean one and marvel at the difference.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bob Tosi

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 01, 2012, 01:20:36 AM
High power Xenon will test your generator, whilst HIDs are kind to it as they pull only 35w and are brighter than the sun  :XXsunsmile. I have them in my Blackbird; would I go back to ordinary bulbs?  Not likely! 

BUT!!!   they can be voltage sensitive.  If your battery is getting tired they won't always fire up first time.  In the 'Bird if I left the lights on, then started the engine, the HID went out and wouldn't refire until the battery had recovered.

Also, due to brightness, you have to ensure your lights are properly set so you aren't blinding oncomers.   And it's no good saying you don't care, it'll help them see you;  go stare into one if you think it doesn't matter.  They're so bright you'll only antagonise people - or the law enforcers.

where can you buy these xenon bulbs?
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

TripleTragic

Sorry for the bit of a delayed reply, been a while since I have poked my nose in here.

I would NOT go for the HID globe in the standard reflector ever again. I had one in a 7" round (speedTriple) and initial thought it was great: heaps more light and way bright but as I used it more (lots of night riding on country roads) I realised the spread of light was all wrong. If I hadn't blown the engine on it I was about to remove the globe and go back to the halogen.

I am currently running Philips +100% halogens in the Tiger and am very impressed with those. Note these are not the "Arctic Blues" or any other colour done for aesthetic value, they are an improved output. Apparently there are now +120% or similar as well(it seems to be ever increasing).

However...  now that I am rebuilding the half dead speed triple I have gone down a different route:

(Yes I know it is not a speed triple headlight,  is Daytona)

Good things come in Threes

Bixxer Bob

Go on then, what are they?