News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help with metering the electrical system

Started by ArchRider, August 09, 2013, 04:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchRider

I have an '01 Girly whose electrical system I think is suffering.  I can ride it all week and it still needs to sit on a tender over the weekend to have a fresh battery for Monday.  So, I got on the sticky thread and checked out the system check posted from ElectrexWorld.
After messing up a little and thinking my reg/rec was shot (it really wasn't), I went and picked up a new Rick's reg/rec off a former TIger rider on ADVRider.  Now, before I install it, I want to ensure my stator isn't the problem.  I follow the Electrex PDF and, with the battery out, metered for resistance between the three leads going to the stator and the negative lead for the battery.  No matter what ohm setting I used, I got a reading of 1.0  :icon_scratch:

I must be doing something wrong.  At best, I'm a novice electrical guy.  Can someone offer a little guidance, please?

Paul

Mustang

that has shown you that none of the three leads go to ground ................which is a good thing !

Now check the three leads themselves , leave the ground out of the equation and check between two leads  ie.:

#1 to #2
#1 to #3

do this for all possible combinations
you should see a closed circuit between the three leads (resistance or in simpler terms ,something other than a 1 on your digital meter)

if any of the combinations still remain a "1" , you've got a bad stator .

lukeman

I'd perform the test listed above and see if you get any shorts in the stator.   You can also check the voltage at the battery terminals with everything running at idle, see what voltage you get. Then rev it up to about 3-4k and see what voltage you get.  At higher revs you should get over 14.0 if not then you've got problems. 

You'll also want to do the Sasquatch mod of bypassing the wiring harness and running some thick wires straight from the R/R to a fuse then to the battery.

I was getting crap charge before doing this.  I had the exact same issue as what you have, a battery that would need to be topped off every so often or it would run too low.

I used this kit for mine, but since your r/r is new, you could Sasquatch it with a 10 gauge and an inline fuse.  Just make sure to get a 30Amp MAXI FUSE so that it doesn't heat up with all the current flowing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHINDENGEN-MOSFET-FH020AA-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-KIT-REPLACES-FH012AA-/380473041443?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5895f5e223&vxp=mtr

ArchRider

Mustang - Thanks for the help.  I went and checked the resistance at each of the stator leads and got a reading.  Perhaps you can help me with what I got.  I set the meter for 200 ohms and got a reading of 0.4 for all three combinations of leads.  The ElectrexWorld doc states that I should be getting resistance readings of 10k ohms or more.  If I'm reading this correctly, I'm getting 40 ohms, right?  If I set the meter to any of the higher settings, it reads 0.00 for all three combinations.  Is 0.4 an acceptable reading?

Lukeman - Thanks.  While the bike is still apart, I'm going to get the Maxifuse and install the patch.  I was going to do it awhile ago but never got around to it.  I recall having to hunt a bit in the past for this fuse because my local auto parts stores did not have it.  I'll just have to get it online.  It sounds as though if my bike is suffering the same as yours did, this might get her running right again.

Mustang

The accuracy of your meter is directionally related  to price of said unit .

If you got the same reading from all 3 leads , call it good .

ArchRider

Mustang - Thank you for the vote of confidence.  For me, when dealing with electrical issues, it's good to have a sounding board.  I went and double checked the reading with an auto-ranging digital meter and got the same reading 0.4 ohms and it was still consistent across all three readings.  I guess I'll just go with it. 
I'm just scratching my head as to why the testing documentation posted here said the reading should be 10k ohms.  That is a dramatic difference from 0.4 ohms.

Bixxer Bob

I had low voltage, around 12.5 when riding so did the Sasquatch mod. Then I got 15.2 which is too high.  I undid it but left it in place but cleaned the plug and blades before reconnecting the loom. Voila! 13.5v when riding  :icon_lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ArchRider

I recall getting between 12.5 and 13.5 when riding before I decided to do all this poking around.  But I was still needing to put the battery on a tender every weekend despite riding the bike every day.  That's what made me think my reg/rec or stator were shot, especially after reading about how Girlies are notorious for this problem.  But now it's appearing that both are fine.  This is really beginning to get confusing.
And Bob - what do you mean you cleaned the blades before reattaching the loom?