News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Proper 3 spoke conversion

Started by GavD, December 01, 2013, 04:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Quote from: chrisw on January 17, 2014, 10:53:42 PM
I had 1 leaky carb on my bike recently which I cured by replacing the float to carb o rings ..... Im not sure if that was the actual problem but it worked .
In the tips section you will find  the o ring sizes and I got all of them from work in bags of 50 for less than a tenner ........... If you struggle I can post you a handful

Thanks for the offer Chris but as Mustang says, they're not suitable for my keihins.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

GavD

Ok a few hours to myself earlier and got the carbs sorted. All fuel levels now pretty much the same and steady. No fuel leaking out anywhere. Postie dropped in with the new bands for the carb rubbers and airbox rubbers so got it all slung back in, tank on and started her up. Straight away it sounded smoother on choke, and once she's warmed up settled into a nice smooth tickover.  Sweet!!

Chucked in the 17" wheel on the back and took it for a little spin again. The tyres are the ones that came on the wheels and are both pretty much shot so gotta get that sorted out.

The handling feels like it did before and is a bit unnerving at slow speeds. It's when I turn into slow corners that I notice the biggest difference, I really have to put in alot of steering input, the bars turn alot more than they did before.

Bixxer Bob

Still sounds like when I put non-blocked tyres on (Pirelli Scorpion Trails, which despite the name have a road-type tread).  Since I went back to block tread I really noticed what's going on.  Steering technique on block tread is countersteer, then body weight and countersteer in the turn, the countersteer being a fair bit of pushing pressure on the inside bar.  With the road tread, it was more a bit of weight leaning in the direction of the turn then steer wher you want it to go rather than varying the countersteer.  It's hard to describe, but it's what was happening.  The steering was MUCH lighter.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

you have lengthened your front end by almost 2 inches , std steamer forks are 885mm unloaded .
it makes a huge difference
pull the tubes up in the yokes to match what you extended the forks by , I bet the steering  settles down for ya

read this ......it explains it all

http://chopperhandbook.com/rake.htm

GavD

Pretty much what I've just done in the last hour Mustang. I've removed the spacers I had made from the top of the fork springs and pulled the forks up by 20mm and I'm getting that familiar feeling back. It's not entirely like I had before but getting there.

I've now got 865mm from top side of top yoke to centre of wheel spindle, which is getting close to the measurement GeoffW made, but nowhere near your 812mm.

Maybe another 10mm for the next time and see what it's like then.

Mustang

Quote from: GavD on January 18, 2014, 06:18:51 PM
, but nowhere near your 812mm.
I remeasured again for you and it's 825mm on two different stock steamers with the suspension loaded on the bikes weight .

must've been the first time  :ImaPoser

GavD

GavD

Got my front tyre chopped over from the 6 spoke to the 3 spoke and with the forks up through the yokes by 30mm went for another spin. The tracking over the cracks (or tramlining as Sin put it) has gone and the steering feels pretty much as it did before. I've still gotta get a rear tyre sorted out, so I'm running with the 18" in the back at the moment, but once I've sorted that it'll be a little bit of fine tweaking with the forks to get to where I want it. Once the warmer weather comes back I might try a day out with the yokes back to level with the forks to see what that feels like on warm, dry roads.

Just need some up and back risers now to get the bars where I want them and I'll be happy.

Roll on spring!!

Cheers for all your input chaps, I'll post some more pics of the final product when I get the chance.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

I think I'm just about there now, got some Rox Risers which have bought the bars up and back a couple of inches which feels a bit more comfortable.

I've put the spacers back in the forks and have left them with 30mm sticking up through the yokes, just gotta get some decent weather now to get out and ride it.

Woulda gone out today, but I'm still suffering the effects of the demon drink after watching England snatch defeat from the jaws of victory yesterday against those damn Frenchies.

Anyway here's the final pics.

Sin_Tiger

Now you know why us sweaty socks invented Whiskey  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

lookin good that is mate. nice to see you have some sun down there too.  :thumbsup
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

GavD

Yeah, hadn't seen the big orange ball for a while. All's back to normal though, wind and rain coming back tonight!

GavD

Final post on this one I think;

After having a few problems with my carbs which I've now got sorted, I got round to getting a new tyre on the 17" rear. I've set the chain adjusters the right way up, and set the forks at 25mm up through the yokes. The bike is definitely a bit higher cos she leans over a bit more on the side stand and I feel a bit more on the balls of my feet when at standstill. Anyway, went for a spin and it felt GOOOOOOD. Front end feels stiffer and planted, and it holds a line well. Brakes are  :bug_eye much better!!  Altogether I'm well happy with the result and can't wait for the tarmac to warm up a bit more.

The carb probs I had, I think I've pretty much sorted, throttle response feels a lot crisper now and I get a lovely bit of popping and banging when I come off throttle.

rybes

glad its all sorted mate  :thumbsup makes a big difference to the bike dont it. just wait till ya get used to it  :bad
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)