News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel tap woes

Started by ssevy, May 24, 2014, 11:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

Thanks, but that is not for use with petrol.
I am more concerned about the epoxy type than the gasket at this point, as the JB Weld that I just removed was like window putty it had softened so much from the gasoline.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

London_Phil

Not something you want to start cutting around, I think...

rf9rider

Quote from: ssevy on July 13, 2014, 10:48:52 PM
Thanks, but that is not for use with petrol.
I am more concerned about the epoxy type than the gasket at this point, as the JB Weld that I just removed was like window putty it had softened so much from the gasoline.

The nitrile rubber IS petrol resistant!

I used some nitrile rubber o-rings on my first attempt at sealing my tap to the tank, only reason it didn`t work out was there wasn`t enough surface left between the tap hole and the outer edge of the tank due to the size of the hole.

ssevy

Hmmm...it says on the ebay page that it is not for petrol?
I have been searching the internet for several hours. Can anyone confirm that our tanks are polyethylene? The Acerbis site has all of their current tanks made from that.

threepot

We should all send letters of complaint to Triumph re: the fuel tank. They didn't get it right,and why don't they sell a replacement  at a discounted price?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ram33

Quote from: ssevy on July 14, 2014, 03:03:32 AM
Hmmm...it says on the ebay page that it is not for petrol?
I have been searching the internet for several hours. Can anyone confirm that our tanks are polyethylene? The Acerbis site has all of their current tanks made from that.
i repaired 3 holes in mine with jb weld marine and none seem to have softened at all.
i think the tank is made of polyimide
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

ssevy

Here's the reply from JB Weld to an inquiry about which product to use:

"Scott,

Yes, as per your phone conversation with our Customer Service, the Plastic Bonder (50133) is the only product that will work for your application. I would recommend roughening the surface well with a wire brush or sand paper, then cleaning the area with acetone or paint thinner. After that, please follow package instructions and apply.

Thanks for using JB Weld!

Sincerely,

Customer Service
JB Weld"

ssevy

Update
I found a local body shop that has a nitrogen welder for plastic. They have the correct rod for low temp polyethylene, so we're having a go on Monday morning. We are going to use the original nutserts, but grind off the bases a bit to sink them deeper into the plastic block. One option is to build up the pocket inner circumferences, then use an induction heater attached to the mounting plate and nutserts, gently sinking them into the new plastic. Another option is to install the inserts, then mount the plate normally. A third option is to fill the holes then drill and install helicoils. This was my plan for the JB plastic bonder, but if we are able to weld the plastic, there won't be a dissimilar product filling the holes which might expand or contract at a different rate and accelerate the failure rate.

erate

Sin_Tiger

Impressed,  hope it works out, it'll be a serious alternative as tanks get rarer. Fingers crossed.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

The plastic welder looks to have done the trick! Leveled the nutserts, added a fresh layer of plastic over the top, then filed it down flat to the top of the nutserts. New gasket and pressure tested with air. No leaks!
total cost was $176.55 including $125.00 in labor and $40.00 in materials.
Happier than a pig in shit!

Mustang

now keep that POS pingel tap off of there and get an OEM :thumbsup

London_Phil

Agreed, and  having seen how little spare plastic around the tap hole, I will never try to enlarge mine for a Pingel or other device. I removed the internal filters on mine, due to fuel starvation, and unless you ride really hard, I cannot believe you need more volume than can be supplied by the OEM tap.
Never get tired of posting these tank photos ....

ssevy

Quote from: Mustang on July 21, 2014, 05:59:42 PM
now keep that POS pingel tap off of there and get an OEM :thumbsup

Too Late!
Everything looks good, and the Pingel tap is fine. Now I'm going to take it for a spin to see if the heat shields are efficient enough for the $20 Bagman saddlebags that I use on my Legend. The zippers are sporadic, and I use large rubber bands to hold them closed as extra security, but what can you expect for $20?
Next winter I'll buy some real soft luggage for it. In the meantime, here are my Bagmans:

nickjtc

Which aftermarket screen is that on your bike?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"