News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Does it ever end?

Started by ssevy, July 27, 2014, 01:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

Okay, so mu buddies and I started on our two week trip to Kentucky. The Tiger ran beautifully for most of the morning, and then following a sharp left turn and an uphill climb, I noticed it felt rough. Gradually it went from three cylinders to two and quit. Cranking immediately wouldn't start it. Since the fuel I put in was non-ethanol and the tank still had plenty, I didn't suspect fuel, but I pulled the hose off the petcock and ran some through a paper towel into a container. No water, no debris. Next, I opened the petcock all the way, and had tons of flow. Checked fuel problems off the list.
It started back up and ran fine after about 5-10 minutes of sitting. Took off and rode it about a 1/4 mile, and it started again. First some rough stumbling, then worse, and finally stalling out. Again, after waiting about 5 minutes, it starts up and runs fine again.  I then  gave it tons of throttle on a long section, but once again, it did the same.
Fortunately, I was in Cherry Valley, where a good friend's brother has a garage, so I was able to lock it up safely tonight, with the intent to go fix it in the early morning and continue the two week trip. It is about 1 1/2 hours from my house.
Now, I am thinking pick up sensor, and the one in my Legend is the same part number on Bike Bandit, so I can borrow that one to install it in the morning. Or, I can just ride the Legend for the two weeks, but after putting all of the work into the Tiger, I really want to take it. Also, the Legend's back tire may not have 2000 miles left to give. I did order a new sensor to have on hand, but it won't be here for at least a week. Any free advice?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

nickjtc

Is the fuel tank venting? Could be fuel starvation issues....???
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

rf9rider

As Nick says, have you tried riding with the fuel cap open?

Although it does sound like the pick up, gets hot, stops, cools down and restarts,

nickjtc

Don't we just love our bikes...........?? Remember Occam's Razor: the simplest solution is usually the correct one.  :qgaraduate

ssevy

Vents fine. I pulled the sensor off the Legend and will leave here at 5:30 to get it replaced and catch up with my buddy for day 2 of the trip. Wish me luck!

rf9rider

Good luck, and hopefully a good trip!

ssevy

No luck. Sitting by the road waiting for it tk start again.

nickjtc

Faulty side stand switch?

ssevy

I don't think so. It ran like a top for about 5 miles. Then as soon as it warmed up it started bucking and snorting and finally quit. If I'd let it set about 10 minutes it will restart and I can go about another quarter mile down the road before it started again and then I'd have to pull off again. By the way the grass of insurance policies don't include towing unless you have the right policy. Wouldn't you know my legend is covered fully for towing but my Tiger is not? Some days it just pays to stay in bed.I apologize for any typos in this message but the Sun is so bright I can't see my phone screen and I'm using the microphone to put the text in.

Mustang

Sevy
just got back from camp .......call me

plug the legends ecu/igniter into the tigger see if problem continues or goes away ..............

HeavyHustler

Looking forward to an update on the problem!  Good luck ssevy.

motoOzarks

I got lost a few weeks ago and pulled my fancy new Samsung S4 out to use the maps.  Damn sunshine glared off the screen so bad I couldn't see the map or how to make a call or a damn thing.  Ended up putting it in my helmet and then holding the helmet up to my face and putting my hand through the visor slot to make a call.

Found out later the screen was on "auto brightness"  and changed it to full on and it's ok now.  I can fix anything.
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

ssevy

The same buddy who picked me up at 5:30 this morning and delivered me back to my bike an hour and a half away came to the rescue a second time with a trailer, and we trailered it back to my house where it now sits quietly in the garage waiting for triage.
Mustang called me while I sat next to the road, and we ran through all of the possibilities, and he confirmed what I feared, igniter. He suggested I swap the one in my Legend into the Tiger to confirm the diagnosis, but looking at Bike Bandit, I am not sure if it will connect. Will have to actually open the bikes up more to get a better look.
If it indeed is the igniter, has anyone here used the Ignitech replacement, and if so, do you have any part numbers or other helpful info?

Thanks, and I'll keep you all posted what I find.

Geoff W

I replaced my coil with a PVL one, it seems more chunky, but fits well, and has 2 leads rather than one. It is 50% more expensive but seems better, however only time and 30,000 miles will tell. Aprox' 8,000 done on it so far.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Mustang

the 2 lead coils are for 4 cylinder trophys and /or bonnevilles :icon_redface: