News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1997 Steamer. Starter won't turn, engine locked. HELP !

Started by Danwarb, May 10, 2015, 03:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

I edited ..................... :icon_redface: re read my post
you are clamping on nothing
your rubbers and clamps aint far enough onto the carbs

Sin_Tiger

I'm with Mustang, they look wider than the stock bands and it's possible squeezing them tight is actually squeezing the rubbers off the edge of the carb stub, possibly even restricting the intake. Look for narrow width hose clips or you might even try using cable ties. If they are still soft and a good fit they won't need to be really tightly tensioned.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Quote from: Mustang on May 16, 2015, 07:50:06 PM
I edited ..................... :icon_redface: re read my post
you are clamping on nothing
your rubbers and clamps aint far enough onto the carbs

Hi Mustang,

Yes I get what you mean and these jubilee clips where over the carb spout as I began tightening them then they seemed to slide along and off the carb mounting ! SO annoying ! It's difficult to know how tight to get them before they do this.

The stock ones aren't for sale on the world of Triumph site so I'll look for a MIKUNI carb parts dealer in the UK to find the right ones.
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 16, 2015, 07:52:32 PM
I'm with Mustang, they look wider than the stock bands and it's possible squeezing them tight is actually squeezing the rubbers off the edge of the carb stub, possibly even restricting the intake. Look for narrow width hose clips or you might even try using cable ties. If they are still soft and a good fit they won't need to be really tightly tensioned.

What do you think of these Sin?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-STAINLESS-clips-Triumph-Bonneville-America-Scrambler-Airbox-Carburettor-Inlet-/370628358678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item564b2bf216

Black 1995 Tiger 885

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

As Mustang points out, the stub on the head side of the carb is only 13mm (groove in the middle) so there isn't a lot to play with. You must get the rubber pushed on as far as possible, a little Fairy Liquid will help and it goes tacky quite quickly so don't worry about it slipping off.

Tridon, as good a make as you'll find and all 304 rather than just the band is good, what I can see in the photo looks right?

The stock clamps are a shade under 9mm wide so I don't see a problem with 8mm.

The Steamer rubber outer diameter is, as near as I can measure as I don't have a spare one, 64/5mm. The Bonnie engine rubbers are 60mm, thats an EFI mind you but I believe the carbs are the same. That's the only concern I have, the vendor does not state the model or size range, if they are HAS036 (46mm - 70mm) or even HAS040   (52mm - 76mm) you're good but the next size down HAS032 (40mm - 64mm) is not going to work. But hey, this is his business, drop him an email and explain, he'll probably have stock of what you need.

As BB says, for definitive information, even the stuff you'd rather not hear, Steve at Motocarb is the go to guy, what he doesn't know about carbs of that era is probably not worth knowing.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Don't think you get them with 'new' manifold rubbers? But use old ones. Trident rubber manifolds are slightly shorter,which makes it a bit easier to replace carbs  :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on May 17, 2015, 01:02:39 AM
Don't think you get them with 'new' manifold rubbers? But use old ones. Trident rubber manifolds are slightly shorter,which makes it a bit easier to replace carbs  :icon_wink:

That is a useful bit of info.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

iansoady

It sounds as though you're on a steep learning curve but getting there.... Well done.

Did you sort out your coolant problem?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on May 17, 2015, 01:02:39 AM
Are we talking about the airbox side? I thought if the expansion rings were missing/mis-aligned that it could cause the rubbers to slip off.

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

My apologies, I thought it was the airbox rubbers...  so how come the lip and groove aren't holding them in place on the carbs I wonder? they must be a sloppy fit.

Danwarb

Quote from: iansoady on May 17, 2015, 11:03:39 AM
It sounds as though you're on a steep learning curve but getting there.... Well done.

Did you sort out your coolant problem?

Hi guys,

In the end I spoke to Steve at Motocarb and he sent me some new jubilee clips. They where exactly the same as the ones I fitted !!  :ImaPoser

In the end I learned to lever the far side of each jubilee clip with an old rounded chisel while I used a screwdriver to nudge the other side in to place as I tightened them. All six jubilee clips are now well placed. The next time I clean these carbs out I'm looking at that delightful riffle all over again !

THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL OF YOU.   :notworthy
Your help has enabled me to really enjoy repairing this bike and now have her running really well.

The coolant system I'm still not confident is working properly but it may be.  :icon_scratch:

With Mustangs advice I started the bike, had the coolant cap off and saw a bubble every so often rise out of the coolant but no other seeming movement as if the liquid is being pumped around it.
Also I took the coolant feed that I guess feeds the coolant back in to the reservoir under the seat.
Surely as the engine coolant is pumped around I should be able to see it being pumped back in to the reservoir?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

Does the temp gauge show high after 5-10 mins or does the fan come in before that, if not it should be OK.  Mine doesn't take very long to reach normal operating temp, and never fluctuates from that unless ticking over stationary - as it should do. As far as I know the system doesn't need bleeding, and the coolant only flows into the expansion reservoir when very hot, don't forget that the system works under pressure so any flow would be gentle with the cap off... do you have a manual?