News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1997 Steamer. Starter won't turn, engine locked. HELP !

Started by Danwarb, May 10, 2015, 03:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Quote from: ram33 on May 15, 2015, 10:57:16 AM
the throttle cable is not for setting the tickover and it should have a bit of free play (so you can turn bars without it reving up) the tickover is set with the knob o the side. if it ticks over ok when standing but drops when you close throttle when riding, make sure the carbs are balanced. if so then i would look adusting the mixture screws slightly

Hi Ram !

Thanks for this.

Ok . . . I've reading about carburettors and how they work. Air and petrol usually controlled by an air mixture screw and a petrol mixture screw.
The carbs them selves all close to exactly the same place so all open equally parallel.

Currently the tick over screw seems to have virtually no influence what so ever because the current air/petrol is so bad at low revs. The engine starts ok and begins ticking over ok but then the engine begins to splutter and conks out unless I begin opening the choke. It'll then only idle at say 2000 revs !!

Ram or any if you, where do I start with these settings?

Cheers so much guys,

Dan

:ear
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Bixxer Bob

:bug_eye I hope you're using "file down" as a generic rather than literal term -  a file will render them f**ked.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Danwarb

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 15, 2015, 12:10:52 PM
:bug_eye I hope you're using "file down" as a generic rather than literal term -  a file will render them f**ked.....

Hi Bob,

To initially lightly file get the commutators back in shape it worked brilliantly.
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

It's the post about my carb settings above I'd love any insight on please?

:ear
Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

The usual for Mikuni's fuel/air screws are 1.5-2 turns out - (start with 1.5), even though the butterfly valves are equal the carbs may still be out of balance, make sure that the carb to airbox rubbers are sealing properly and that you re-attached the breather pipe to the airbox, You did make sure the tiny o'rings under the carb tops were in place? and the vacuum blanking caps are on?

threepot

One of the first jobs when the carbs are off.........unscrew the idle adjuster,and apply copper grease or the like!! Can the bike idle with a 'little' throttle? If so,and stalls when you release,maybe your idle adjustment is seized? Assuming you have a little free play in the cable?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on May 15, 2015, 02:43:22 PM
The usual for Mikuni's fuel/air screws are 1.5-2 turns out - (start with 1.5), even though the butterfly valves are equal the carbs may still be out of balance, make sure that the carb to airbox rubbers are sealing properly and that you re-attached the breather pipe to the airbox, You did make sure the tiny o'rings under the carb tops were in place? and the vacuum blanking caps are on?

Brilliant Jay !!

Ok . . .

The breather pipe to the air box is on fine (the snorkel has the cap on it too).

The tiny o'rings are in place too.

First I'll check all the rubbers either side of the carbs are done up well. I have a feeling that one rubber to the engine block I've not managed to tighten properly so may need new jubilee clips.

What are the 'vacuum blanking caps' please super Jay?

:icon_salut:
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Quote from: threepot on May 15, 2015, 09:28:10 PM
One of the first jobs when the carbs are off.........unscrew the idle adjuster,and apply copper grease or the like!! Can the bike idle with a 'little' throttle? If so,and stalls when you release,maybe your idle adjustment is seized? Assuming you have a little free play in the cable?

BRILLIANT Mr Threepot,

Once I've checked all the rubbers are sealed properly I'll then check this idle knob.

Thanks loads.

I'm working on this tomorrow and I'll let you know !
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

I'm going to replace the jubilee clips either side of each carb.

What size am I looking for?

Any recommendations?

:notworthy
Black 1995 Tiger 885

threepot

Quote from: Danwarb on May 16, 2015, 12:33:13 AM
BRILLIANT Mr Threepot,

Once I've checked all the rubbers are sealed properly I'll then check this idle knob.

Thanks loads.

I'm working on this tomorrow and I'll let you know !
Check it whilst carbs are off!! Also,make sure the inlet filters into the carbs..T piece..also known as 'witches hat' are clean?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ram33

the vacuum caps are the ruber cap that go onto the little tubes pointing up between the carbs and engine where you attach the the vacuum gauges for balancing.
for mikuni carbs, these are the settings i use. make sure carbs are clean including tiny airways, and no air leaks anywhere.
105 mains and #40 pilots
clip needle in middle position on all three
snorkel capped and stock exhaust
mixture 2-2 1/4 turns out
float height 14.5 mm
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Sin_Tiger

Item 14 is the small rubber cap that should be in place on all 3 carbs. It's also where you will connect the carb balancer. If you have a Scotoiler, or evidence that one has been fitted in the past, check that they are all in place and that a 3 into 1 tube arrangement has not been fitted, if so remove it, blank the holes with some tape or heatshrink, set the engine up first and worry about the oiler later.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 16, 2015, 12:30:49 PM
Item 14 is the small rubber cap that should be in place on all 3 carbs. It's also where you will connect the carb balancer. If you have a Scotoiler, or evidence that one has been fitted in the past, check that they are all in place and that a 3 into 1 tube arrangement has not been fitted, if so remove it, blank the holes with some tape or heatshrink, set the engine up first and worry about the oiler later.

Threeport, Sin and Ram THANKS SO much !!

I checked the rubber caps where in place. Thanks for teaching me this and what they cover.
I've checked the idle knob and it seems I'd inadvertently would it down to too low revs. It was good to inspect this and now also learn how this works. All it does is open the throttle slightly !

I then fitted new jubilee clips, started her and SHE RUNS GREAT !!!

I took her out for a spin and 1000 to 4000 revs she pulls constantly, no flat spots till around 5000 revs then at 5500 she fine again to the top !! Good enough for me for now. I've got HOT wheels !!! YES YES YES !!!

A new problem I've got is with these jubilee clips. See here in the picture as I tighten them they squeeze the rubber boots off the carb exits or air box. I notice the ones that where on the bike before only tightened so far then stop so I get this is why they where designed as so but when I had the original jubilee clips tightened right up as far as they'd go they where still loose around the engine inlets.

How do you guys get round this?

Black 1995 Tiger 885

Mustang

Quote from: Danwarb on May 16, 2015, 06:37:57 PM

A new problem I've got is with these jubilee clips. See here in the picture as I tighten them they squeeze the rubber boots off the carb exits or air box. I notice the ones that where on the bike before only tightened so far then stop so I get this is why they where designed as so but when I had the original jubilee clips tightened right up as far as they'd go they where still loose around the engine inlets.

How do you guys get round this?

try moving them a little closer to the carb side , as you have them in pic you are not really clamping down on the mouth of the carb  :nod

Danwarb

Quote from: Mustang on May 16, 2015, 07:16:56 PM
new rubbers with oem clamps or find some narrower hose clamps  , the ones in your pic will always always always do what you say

Hi Mustang,

It seemed like these new Jubilee clips where too slim already as they don't fully fill the width of the groove for them on the outside of the rubbers? Surely you mean wider so they don't slide along in to the remaining space of the groove in the rubber not slimmer?

In searching for OEM clamps they look good.

Do any of you have a link to buying them to suit our MIKUNI carbs in the UK please?

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885