News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fitting a center stand

Started by JayDub, August 25, 2015, 08:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I would welcome any ideas as to how I could elevate the steamer so as to fit a center stand, suspending from the joists is a non starter as I have no roof, I've done it with a pair of axle stands but could only find the swing arm as a solid enough point for the cross bar - which is no good as I need the suspension to hang... same problem with the paddock stand.
:icon_scratch: what solutions have you guys come up with?

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Thanks TP  :icon_rolleyes:

Tried that but me chakras ain't strong enough

Nick Calne

I used a big car jack to lift it up until everything was clear and I could fit several large sleepers under the bike.  You need to secure it from wobbling or the bike will fall on you, so improvise some sort of cradle or buttress.  Otherwise you will find out the hard way whether or not you can bench press a steamer off you.  I can, as it transpires, but it was touch and go.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

GavD

Quote from: JayDub on August 25, 2015, 08:32:54 PM
suspending from the joists is a non starter as I have no roof,

No Roof????? So how do you keep all that rain out of the garage???

I do the same as Nick, car jack under the sump then slide under a part of sleeper with a couple more bits of skirting board on to gets me to a height where you can tip the back forward to get the back wheel off the ground.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

JayDub

Quote from: GavD on August 25, 2015, 11:05:03 PM
No Roof????? So how do you keep all that rain out of the garage???

I do the same as Nick, car jack under the sump then slide under a part of sleeper with a couple more bits of skirting board on to gets me to a height where you can tip the back forward to get the back wheel off the ground.
What garage!!!

that seems the way to go, I think I'll weld up a frame which I can pack with some wood (don't have any sleepers, and the Blaenau Ffestiniog railway is too far to go to nick some) - but that would surely restrict access to sump bolts for the fixing point for the spring? (SW-Motech stand)

tankerman

Couldn't you put some padding, ie old mattress or duvet against a wall and on the floor and lean the bike over onto it's side so you can get at the fixing points. Of course, if you are as old as I am it would be advantageous to have some assistance within shouting/phone distance!

Regards.

Sin_Tiger

What's he going to sleep on then   :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

tankerman

You have to make sacrifices sometimes.

Regards.

rf9rider

I used a trolley jack and made a simple frame out of wood to fit under the engine.

tankerman

Actually S-Tiger, could you not lend him a couple of R-Rover seats to lay the bike on?
After all, they aren't Nissan Patrol parts or anything like that, are they!

Regards.

nickjtc

My memory is not the greatest, but if I recall I did not do anything to elevate the bike when I put the centre stand on my Steamer... just did it on the side stand. Needed some assistance from the SO to hold things in alignment to slide the mounting bolt through, but other than that the bike was on two wheels throughout the operation.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,13380.0.html
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Beernard

Well, I'm in with Tankerman. I am a fan of large lumps of foam. Can't fall down. Woo hoo!
I haven't used the technique on my Steamer, but has been pretty handy in the past with different bikes. Pushing some bolts through can be tricky, but it can't fall down.
Good luck with whatever technique you use, but be safe.
Ripper, woke up again.

JayDub

Quote from: tankerman on August 26, 2015, 01:34:14 AM
Actually S-Tiger, could you not lend him a couple of R-Rover seats to lay the bike on?
After all, they aren't Nissan Patrol parts or anything like that, are they!

Regards.
Oooh! bitchy! thats a kick in the spuds.  :icon_eek:

JayDub

I think laying it down would give better access too, but with no engine bars I would be worried about crushing the plastics, as I think removing them would be more work/time on top of not really having the space to do it... I have to work outside on a narrow road, and if a car came along I would be slightly stuffed.
@ nickjtc... are you sure? if I remove the long bolt with weight on the suspension, the link block will push upwards - surely? anyway, in post #3 I see a trolley jack and a piece of wood :icon_wink:
btw, thanks for posting that as it answered all of my questions (except this one of course)