News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Stripdown Begins

Started by Timbox2, February 07, 2016, 03:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Unscientific but if it won't give a percetible pressure even with air, I'd say it's gubbed.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 10, 2016, 01:37:03 AM
Unscientific but if it won't give a percetible pressure even with air, I'd say it's gubbed.

Mine too, pump plate assy already bought from fleabay, will see on Friday hopefully
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Ok, new old pump has arrived, Im gagging to find out whether Ive diagnosed right but Its gonna have to wait till the weekend, too many late nights in me man cave(Garage). Horrible drive tomorrow over to Pembrokeshire(Nice on a bike in summer)

Oh yeah, and having seen Bixxers timely reminder  thread I took my rear caliper apart last night, just caught it I think so filled the boots with RED Grease. Fronts next, yuck.
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

She lives, yea!!!!!!!!!!!!

She leaks, Booooooo.

Fired up almost straight away with the new, old, pump.  Then let her warm up to check for leaks etc after the coolant swap, and hey ho, bottom hose leaking from rad end, clip was quite loose so gave it a tighten, and it got worse..... seems to be split directly behind the hose clip.  I'll get some hose repair tape for now but I've  ordered a new hose from Jack Lilley, not in stock so could be a few days, and its £34!! 
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

One step forward, now you know why and looking on the bright side (not a speciality of mine  :augie ) the hose could have gone during a trip, spoiling it for you.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 12, 2016, 07:13:27 PM
One step forward, now you know why and looking on the bright side (not a speciality of mine  :augie ) the hose could have gone during a trip, spoiling it for you.

Yep, but actually I wasnt thinking right, Ive managed to undo the clip and push the hose on further and re-tighten on a good bit, Ive run her right up to the fan kicking in and no leaks, yippee again,  new hose is already on the way so I'll still fit it when it comes, 13 year old hoses so expected really, suppose I should replace the lot really, only another £70 odd!!!
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

OK so, everything is looking good, cant get Tune ECU to connect but Im not worried for now, tickover seems pretty good etc. I was thinking about doing the sasquatch charging mod while I was in there but, Im getting 14.4v on tickover, and even if I put everything on including grips it only drops to 13.8v so think I'll leave well alone.

Nice dry day now please
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

So, stripped the front calipers and cleaned pistons etc, red grease in the boots, but actually pretty good nick and EBC pads in there look hardly worn, then couldnt resist given her a quick shake down run up the dual carriageway. Kin ell, forgot how quick these old Girlies can be, she is roaring. Ok,  so I spent the last year and a bit on an F800GS, but I never actually thought the GS was terribly underpowered, but the Tiger seems in a different league, very happy bunny.  :hat10

2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Next task for later in the week

Went into MR Motorcycles in Redfield, Bristol who I have used for years and showed him an ebay add for the above chain and sprocket kit at £92, he matched it and went a quid lower. He made a few more quid and I felt better for keeping a proper old Bike shop going.

Good bloke, does caliper seal kits by piston size, fork seals and all sorts of other stuff...............http://www.mrmotorcycles.com/
2016 Tiger Sport

blacktiger

Quote from: aesdj on February 09, 2016, 10:29:44 PM
Don't do it mate. I seriously wouldn't EVER fit one to another one of my bikes. Had one on a Superdream and due to the pipe splitting it made that cylinder run weak and I didn't find out until I came to service it but by then the damage had been done (knackered rings). I use what's called a PDOiler. It's electrical, it's cheaper than the Scott and it can pump upwards so more options with fitting it. And I believe there's been issues with people fitting them to new bikes and then the bike manufacturer not honouring the warranty but you'd have to check that. Carn't remember were I got that from. BUT MY ADVICE IS DON'T FIT A SCOTTOILER.

Conversely I've never had a problem with them. If fitted carefully and correctly they work fine. I have never had to touch any of the fittings on my Girly since fitting it at 1000 miles. 71000 later..............................
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

JayDub

Quote from: blacktiger on February 22, 2016, 01:07:14 PM
Conversely I've never had a problem with them. If fitted carefully and correctly they work fine. I have never had to touch any of the fittings on my Girly since fitting it at 1000 miles. 71000 later..............................
I'm aftraid I'm on my 5th or 6th bike with a Scottoiller fitted... never had a problem, I'm beyond convincing now  :icon_wink:

Timbox2

Moving on.............

Fork oil replaced, the oil itself didnt actually look that bad, but the air gap was well out, the bike has Hagon springs installed which I confirmed by contacting Hagon and giving them the numbers on the springs. Hagon advise an air gap of 130mm with their springs, it was more like 180, should help the nose dive somewhat combined with my special mix of 10/15 weight

Not sure this would pass Elf and safety, I was going to do the head bearings but have decided to delay that until I construct a more stable lift :icon_eek:
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Use the plastic chairs  :ImaPoser

And don't leave your calipers hanging for long  :nod

Timbox2

80 Mile shakedown run to the tool shop at Ross-On-Wye, well, any excuse.  Running really well, and the forks are so much better, only mishap on way was I blew the accessory fuse? Now, I had my Gerbing Jacket on the socket and heated grips on full, so maybe its too much for the 10amp fuse, this rings a bell from last time and Im sure I ended up wiring a Gerbing loom direct to battery on its own fuse. Main thing is shes running like a swiss watch, ok, maybe a bit over the top, its a Tiger after all :icon_biggrin:

Note the nice and loose new chain, maybe a bit loose but its better than too tight

Yes, I know, still have the Antique Givi, but it does its job
2016 Tiger Sport

JoeDirt

Quote from: Timbox2 on February 28, 2016, 03:49:06 PM
Note the nice and loose new chain, maybe a bit loose but its better than too tight

Yes, I know, still have the Antique Givi, but it does its job

Your chain looks good from where I am sitting. Girlies like a sloppy chain.

2nd point, no one is looking at your outdated Givi on that very orange modern looking bike. :thumbsup

BTW... your bike looked to be defying gravity 3 posts up. :icon_eek: