News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My forks don't clonk at all....My Mistake !!!!

Started by pauljones1227, June 09, 2005, 05:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljones1227

The clonking front forks story on my 05 Tiger continues....

A few days ago I took the bike to a 3rd Truimph dealer for assessment, low and behold like the other 2 dealers the tester reported back that there was no clonking at all....he suggested it may be the chain being a bit loose !!!! Didn't know I had a chain at the front !!!

So there we have it, the clonking noise that is getting louder and louder (with earplugs) doesn't exist at all and all the 05 owner complaining about this are obviously going mad !!!

My hunch is Triumph have tipped off the dealers about this to avoid them being replaced on a lot of Tigers....Oh look, there is a KTM dealer very near me, might go and have a look at a 950 adventure and see If I get the same grief !

Foxy

Maybe it doesn't exist?

Or maybe it really is a huge conspiracy?

Kill Switch

Quote from: "pauljones1227"The clonking front forks story on my 05 Tiger continues....

A few days ago I took the bike to a 3rd Truimph dealer for assessment, low and behold like the other 2 dealers the tester reported back that there was no clonking at all....he suggested it may be the chain being a bit loose !!!! Didn't know I had a chain at the front !!!

So there we have it, the clonking noise that is getting louder and louder (with earplugs) doesn't exist at all and all the 05 owner complaining about this are obviously going mad !!!

My hunch is Triumph have tipped off the dealers about this to avoid them being replaced on a lot of Tigers....Oh look, there is a KTM dealer very near me, might go and have a look at a 950 adventure and see If I get the same grief !

Try torquing down the engine bolts, especially where you might attach an HB engine guard (the top ones).  I am at work and do not have my manual.  I had a similiar problem and resolved it that way.

Best.

klrcraig

This was a fix that I used on Kawasaki police bike's to stop fork knock, take off the upper triple clamp and remove the nut that holds down the upper bearing find a o-ring that is thin and and the same od as the shaft. Slide the o-ring down untill it is setting on the top of the upper bearing reassemble and adjust. I have just heard my tiger do this for the first time when I went over a speed-bump yesterday. I hope this will help you.

KLRCraig

tomla

wonder if the bottom out cones are stuck...wait, I don't remember seeing any when I had the fork apart....check the headstock brgs. adjustment and make sure the horn bracket didnt' get bent down or something else is hitting the fender at full compression...