News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

speedo errors?

Started by REGULATOR, August 19, 2008, 01:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULATOR

Hey guys, new to tiger, but not new to Triumph, I sold my 2001 Sprint to buy a 2001 Tiger...  I haven't gotten my GPS wired up yet but I have a feelign the speedo is a little off, I know my Sprint Speedo was optimistic by at least 7 mph and got more so the higher you went ( seemd fine up to 40 or so then read high.....)

are the Tiger speedos accurate?  I'll know for sure when I get teh gps mounted but until then...it sure doesn't seem I'm going as fast as the speedo says...

The Kurgan

Quote from: "REGULATOR"Hey guys, new to tiger, but not new to Triumph, I sold my 2001 Sprint to buy a 2001 Tiger...  I haven't gotten my GPS wired up yet but I have a feelign the speedo is a little off, I know my Sprint Speedo was optimistic by at least 7 mph and got more so the higher you went ( seemd fine up to 40 or so then read high.....)

are the Tiger speedos accurate?  I'll know for sure when I get teh gps mounted but until then...it sure doesn't seem I'm going as fast as the speedo says...

Every bike I've owned read between 7% and 10%+ error. My Tiger, however, is almost bang on. I was surprized when I first installed my GPS.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

M.T.

Mine too is surprisingly accurate.

I've tested against my GPS and at an indicated 75mph the GPS tells me I'm just a little over 73mph.  If my math is any good, this is within 3%.

Not bad at all-
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

JetdocX

What about the error of your GPS???  Have you cal'ed it against a radar gun? :roll:
From parts unknown.

Chris Canning

Even if your speedo is fast or slow you can do somthing about nowhere days.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"What about the error of your GPS???  Have you cal'ed it against a radar gun? :roll:

:ImaPoser my speedo usually gets radar calibrated at least once a year !
And every time the indicated speed on speedo matches the pink copy , that the nice officer doing the radar calibration hands me ! :shock:

iansoady

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Even if your speedo is fast or slow you can do somthing about nowhere days.

Ah, those good old nowhere days. Can't get enough of them.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

When i was in the process of Supermotoing my Tiger,the wheels,front mudguard,shortened sidestand were all minor details,the problem was the speedo,resolved by pure chance,and i've had it on the bike for what must be 6 years aleast.

http://www.blackrobotics.com/index.htm

RickV

My `99 Tiger is dead on against my GPS.

paulie

i'm with mustang. i got nabbed, and the speed on the ticket matched what i was actually doing! seemed accurate to me

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Bixxer Bob

Speedo re-cal is easy if you have the kit, see here....

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4923
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

REGULATOR

well then the bike is deceptively fast, cause it doens't feel like Ive been doign what Ive been doing

and if I want to correct it I'll probably use my tuneboy....

abruzzi

I forget the exact spec, but I read somewhere that Garmin GPSs are accurate +/- .5mph, and +/- 2 seconds (since updates are not instantaneous.)  Recently a GPS log got someone off a speeding ticket in US court, so now there is legal precedent.

That said I've tested all my vehicles against the GPS, and the 2003 Tiger was the closest to dead on.  It was never more than a couple of MPH off, at that was at 100mph.  My KTM 950 is about 10% optimistic (i.e. 50mph on the speedo is 45mph on the GPS.)  My Royal Enfield was usually within 10 mph of the speedo (sometime up, sometimes down...)

Geof

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "abruzzi"I read somewhere that Garmin GPSs are accurate +/- .5mph, and +/- 2 seconds (since updates are not instantaneous.)  

I'm still trying to figure out how I got to 195 MPH on my Tiger -The GPS can't be wrong. :roll:
Bruin\'

JetdocX

The thing is, even while sitting still the GPS is navigating and a position correction of only a few meters instantaneously leads to the high speed indication.  Basically, your GPS fell in a worm hole.   :lol:
From parts unknown.