News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Either you've done it,

Started by Mudhen, May 09, 2009, 01:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

Sometimes I think it's better to just ride them in blissful ignorance, there is very little you can "predict" on a Steamer.  Just fix the stuff as it breaks. :cry:

And the Steamer is the LAST bike I would ever take to a remote location.  Only if I didn't mind sticking a rag in the gas tank, lighting it and walking away.  You might leave with the Steamer, but I doubt you will come back with one. :roll:
From parts unknown.

Mr. Jetmoto

Quote from: "JetdocX"Sometimes I think it's better to just ride them in blissful ignorance, there is very little you can "predict" on a Steamer.  Just fix the stuff as it breaks. :cry:

And the Steamer is the LAST bike I would ever take to a remote location.  Only if I didn't mind sticking a rag in the gas tank, lighting it and walking away.  You might leave with the Steamer, but I doubt you will come back with one. :roll:

Stop it!!!  :lol:

I took mine to new mexico and back from oregon with no problems, and besides fixing DAR I've had no problems with it at all. Starts up every time, and runs like a top. Of course it's only got 22k on it, not much for a bike made in 1996.

I ride solo on logging roads off in the middle of nowhere with it without thinking twice.

But yeah, every time I come to this forum I want to slap that son of a bitch up on craigslist before I wind up having to make a repair worth more than the value of the bike.

Mudhen

Quote from: "JetdocX"Sometimes I think it's better to just ride them in blissful ignorance, there is very little you can "predict" on a Steamer.  Just fix the stuff as it breaks. :cry:

Do you still own that bike?

Crap, dude...sell it and move on.  Or don't sell it and move on.  Either way, move on - preferably to some forum I don't watch...

:lol:

Just goofing, of course.  I know you had it bad.  I just don't think anyone else here has gone through what you did, although I can't really remember all of it - wasn't it just the horn?
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Don't listen to the green Ninja he bought someone else's nightmare .............................

Steamers are very reliable , and the Girly bikes can suffer from sprag failure also , it's just a little easier to fix on a Girly bike .

My 98 tiger wanders off all over the USA usually all by my lonesome and it's ready to leave  on a cross country adventure at a moments notice .
OK not quite it need's some new sneakers b4 it could leave .

60k and here's the entire list of "breakdowns " that has ever happened to it
rejetted the carbs ....brand new
1 broken alt . bolt at around 5 k
rear showa POS shock took a hike at around 20 k
coils got replaced with nologys at 38 k
also changed the ignitor sensor when I did the coils but the old one was still good
rear wheel bearing at 45 k and
headstock bearing at 52 k , even though it really needed doing 8000 miles sooner .
Jeez not a bad list for 60 k miles

and the regular stuff
4 chain and sprocket sets , 2 rub strips and 2 rub blocks
new brake pads every 10 k
valves check or / and adjust every 10 k
tires every 8-10 k
and oil and grease every 4-6 k
oh and headlight bulbs seem to go every summer at least 1 a year
and it gets a new Wal Mart battery every 2 years for 40 bucks .

The list for the 95 is even shorter

45 k on it and has had the igniter sensor fail at 20 k
and the ignitor went tit's up at 28k ,(fixed that for the price of a 2 dollar transistor )
speedo cable broke at 35 k
that's it , told ya it was a short list .also the regular stuff for maint .
and both of em bent the kickstand's  

Steamers are very reliable , unless you get one of them second hand  ones that just happen to be British Racing Green
 :ImaPoser

JetdocX

By remote location, I don't mean anywhere within U-haul distance of home.  I'd take mine anywhere on this continent because I know I can get it U-hauled out if (when) something happens.  Sin Tiger wants to take it around SE Asia.  How's the dealer support over there I wonder??? :roll:

Riding the Steamer around the world?  Not me.  YMMV.  I'd take an XR or a DR. :wink:

Yes, Mudhen, I have replaced the horns. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
From parts unknown.

Mr. Jetmoto

Mustang, what tires are you using getting 8-10k on?

Stretch

Quote from: "Mr. Jetmoto"Mustang, what tires are you using getting 8-10k on?

Three TKC-80s.  :mrgreen:

Dr. Mordo

Mine had 70k+ on it when the sprag failed, which was the first time the bike req'd a mechanic according to the original owner (who put those 70k on it over about 10 years).  Around that same time it had the DAR.  The details on the DAR are sketchy, but the sprag is what grounded it.

I got it after it sat for 3 years, so many other things had deteriorated as it sat such as the carbs, shock, etc.  But after 10 years and 70k miles the original owner sold it as a fully functioning bike that had never had any significant repairs.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mudhen

Quote from: "JetdocX"Yes, Mudhen, I have replaced the horns. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry about that, didn't mean to bring up more bad memories.   :wink:

I just put a new set of TKCs on my Steamer.  I'm hoping to get 5k out of the rear.

Hoping.

Hoping because I hate being one of those freaks that regularly gets over 10k on them...I want to be one of the crowd...fit in...like you cool guys...  :P
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Metzler Tourance , the original tourances . the VR rated ones

and I have a Maxxis Presa Detour on the front right now that has gone 15k and still has tread left .
The rear Maxxis .......well that was shot bald as a baby's butt after 6500

Mr. Jetmoto

Quote from: "Mustang"
Metzler Tourance , the original tourances . the VR rated ones

and I have a Maxxis Presa Detour on the front right now that has gone 15k and still has tread left .
The rear Maxxis .......well that was shot bald as a baby's butt after 6500

I have a karoo traveler on the rear right now and it's shot after less than 2k. I'm pissed. I do like the tourances, but I like knobbies better. If only they were cheap, or lasted longer...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"How's the dealer support over there I wonder??? :roll:

Riding the Steamer around the world?  Not me. . :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

One dealer in Singapore, just opened a Triumph dealer in Pattaya (Thailand) and that's it baby.

I stopped smoking so I won't be carrying a lighter  :lol:

I have read of a few Roadies already had to replace the sprag clutch due to attempting a start with a failed battery, so it's not an issue that seems to have been resolved by Hinckley.

The Roadie is on a C-Tek in the UK but I can't do that with the Steamer out here, perhaps a voltmeter might be a worthwhile addition.

Thanks for the advice on the rebuild, not on the inflamatory stuff :p
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mr. Jetmoto

Quote from: "Mudhen"
Quote from: "JetdocX"Yes, Mudhen, I have replaced the horns. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry about that, didn't mean to bring up more bad memories.   :wink:

I just put a new set of TKCs on my Steamer.  I'm hoping to get 5k out of the rear.

Hoping.

Hoping because I hate being one of those freaks that regularly gets over 10k on them...I want to be one of the crowd...fit in...like you cool guys...  :P
Are you running a 140/80-17 TKC? If so, where did you get it?

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mr. Jetmoto"Are you running a 140/80-17 TKC? If so, where did you get it?

No, 130/80-17.  I'd thought about moving up to the 150 since these are mainly just street tires for me (I have an 18/21 setup for real dirt trips) but it would have been a complete waste of money ($53 more for the 150 at tiresunlimited).  Plus if I do hit the dirt with them the 130 is way better than the 150.
\'96 Steamer

abruzzi

I'm running the 130's as well, and they are plenty wide for the bike.  And load rating is still good.

Geof