News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

YAPI - noobie

Started by BruKen, March 23, 2010, 11:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtheTiger

mine doesn't whirrrrr but she whines like a turbo when revved.....I guess that's normal and is most likely caused by the camchain running over the guiderail.
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

BruKen

Ok guys, I am not quite convinced or happy about the whirr. Any takers on a diagnostic? Water pump? Alternator bearings? Valve train? Clutch basket? Loose Straws?

( Please bear in mind that was a first start from cold in an engine that has stood for several years and spent the last quarter dry of oil and only run for about 30 seconds, before the carb change, two weeks earlier. )

coachgeo

If I recall right you did not tank clean the block/case in a way that all oil passages would be degunked of varnish from sitting.   Same with fuel system (clean carbs but what about tank, fuel lines, etc etc)

Thus before you diagnose anything, run engine oil cleaner and fuel cleaner thru it several times. For oil use the stuff you put into your oil... run the engine a minimum number of minutes then flush and replace with new oil.   Repeat this a few times.  then replace oil.... run it more..... but replace that oil too alot sooner than you normally would.  

For fuel... use in your next half dozen fuel tanks and change your fuel filters often.

IMHO of  course.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Mustang

Quote from: "BruKen"Ok guys, I am not quite convinced or happy about the whirr. Any takers on a diagnostic? Water pump? Alternator bearings? Valve train? Clutch basket? Loose Straws?

( Please bear in mind that was a first start from cold in an engine that has stood for several years and spent the last quarter dry of oil and only run for about 30 seconds, before the carb change, two weeks earlier. )

That's how the beast sounds .............run it !

you will soon love that sound as she comes up on the pipe at 8500 rpm in 3rd 4th and 5th ............

BruKen

Thanks guys for your input and Mustang for your reassurance. Anybody else want to add what they believe the noise is? I know Mustang has the last word in all things tigger, but I'd like to hear of your opinions too. Does your tigger sound like this? The only time I have ever heard a sound quite like it was after replacing a clutch basket on a XT550. There was a unusual shaped washer plate ( part 26 in the pic below) on the primary drive gear that got damaged and so I replaced with another standard washer to absorb the tolerance. But it made that noise for another 30k until I sold her.

Anyway, so the noise is normal, but what is it?

MtheTiger

yours sounds pretty normal to me......could run somewhat smoother though when cleaned & filled+warmed up again.
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

rf9rider

Sounds better than mine.

I`d ride/run it in for a bit, then see how it sounds.  :)

Geoff D

Bruce mate..... they all sound like that stop worrying and start riding  :wink:
The older I get the faster I was...

BruKen

Quote from: "Geoff D"Bruce mate..... they all sound like that stop worrying and start riding  :wink:

:wink:

:) :) :) :)

Geoff D

Wahey.... you'll be out this weekend then  8)

What tyres you putting in there?

BruKen

Whoa tiger :D Still got to tune her then insure MOT and tax. Maybe the weekend following. Don't hold your breath tho, depends on free time. I will put conti's on her.

BruKen

mmmmmmm  :shock:

remember I was having a bit of a dispute withe the wheel rebuilder about the rear being an original 17 x 3.00 rim and he wanted to put on a 4.25. Kinda wish he had now. Tyre choice is limited. Oh they make them, just cant get hold of them easily and pay more for the privilege with less choice. Seems the common standard now is 4.25.

Oh well, had a choice of 3 that I could get hold of at shortish notice and have gone for the Tourances. I did like the look and reports of the Anakee 2 though. mmm, whata booger :evil:

Geoff D

Good tyres Bruce, got 'em on mine.... no complaints

BruKen

YAPI has left the building ;)

rf9rider

Quote from: "BruKen"YAPI has left the building ;)

With or without the Tiger?  :lol: