News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Renew fork oil

Started by tett, May 07, 2010, 02:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tett

Going down the check list I see that one should replace our Girly's fork oil every two years.

How often do people really do this?  

Cheers!

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

tett

Oh come on!   :icon_scratch  41 people so far have seen this and no one replys.  Can I take your silence to mean that you have never replaced your fork oil?
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Geoff D

Actually I haven't no.... :roll:

Had it 6 years too now  :oops:
The older I get the faster I was...

Mustang

sometimes it comes out quite nasty looking .................it's not a bad idea to do it every couple years  :shock:

jonathan jaecks

Since your suspensions primary job is to squeeze as much traction as possible out of your tires...that is, to keep them in contact with the road (or off road) surface I'd think that you'd want to keep your suspension working properly.  Is it a pain in the ass, yeah.  Do I think it's worth it?  Most certainly.

06'Tiger Modded and Loaded

tiger77

11.5k miles and 8 years since mine was last done (by the factory when it was built).

Easy job, bit messy though. New oil is pretty colour.

Chris Canning

The reality is every couple of years if the truth be known and how oil that is worked hard degrades,but the bottom most don't because they don't know/care or can't afford to pay an other to do it.

I should have done mine this winter just gone,so will no doubt do it during the summer  :roll:

And when you do, change the oil grade.

Bixxer Bob

What grade are you using Chris?

I went from 10w to 7.5w for the 'Bird on Hyprepro's recommendation - they claim generally Hondas are undersprung and overdamped - but you don't really notice any difference unless you're pushing on a bit, which I hardly ever do these days.  But the faster you go the more the suspension seems to come to you.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

I went 15wt which means the first 50 miles are stiffer than i'd like,while it would be wrong of me to pigeon hole the front forks in the same category as the junk that Triumph pass us off with on the back,the forks are pretty basic,and i should have had them revalved years ago.

The price you pay with 15wt even when warm you loose that sensitivity over the small bumps,it's a trade off i've had to make as most of my riding is done two up at a reasonable rate of knots.

Your point about suspension coming to you,it all depends on your settings,all my bikes are like that,not at all pleasant to ride under 70 the quicker you go the better they get,and my AP's and Beringer brakes are the same,but the subject can get a little lost when folk reckon they have 35000 on a stock shock and it's still fine  :roll:

tett

Thanks everyone!

My bike is an 06 and I am the second owner.  Am also sure that the oil has never been changed so will go to it this spring.  Same goes with the brake fluid.

Since the bike's front end feels great to me I will replace the oil with the same wgt as was used from stock.

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Goober

I did it when I first got the bike, and then again two years later.  So, yea, I do it every two years.  Originally I used 10w and 15w mixed 50/50, but this time I just went with 10w.  Haven't really felt any difference since going to a thinner oil.  

I like working on my bike, and the whole job takes less than 4 hours.
2005 Silver Tiger

tett

Less than 4 hours!  I have rebuilt forks, completely removing them from the tree, total strip down and replaced seals, etc, in less than 4 hours.  This was on other bikes such as CB650's.

Is the Tiger really this difficult?

tett

Quote from: "Goober"I did it when I first got the bike, and then again two years later.  So, yea, I do it every two years.  Originally I used 10w and 15w mixed 50/50, but this time I just went with 10w.  Haven't really felt any difference since going to a thinner oil.  

I like working on my bike, and the whole job takes less than 4 hours.
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Mustang

well you will be removing these too as there are no drain holes on them and to get at the pinch bolts easily on the trees you will be removing body work .............and then the calipers , fender and wheel . so you can tip em upside down to drain the old oil .....then you get to reassemble everything  :ImaPoser

Bixxer Bob

It always takes longer the first time.... :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Mustang"well you will be removing these too as there are no drain holes on them and to get at the pinch bolts easily on the trees you will be removing body work .............and then the calipers , fender and wheel . so you can tip em upside down to drain the old oil .....then you get to reassemble everything  :ImaPoser

As the man said no drain holes,i stand mine upside down and let e'm drain over night,and to be honest if you only ride one up,you'll probably find 15wt too much.