News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Carbs, Coils, Valves oh my!

Started by cousindave, June 07, 2010, 09:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightrunner

Cousindave,

Glad you got it sorted but you should still:

1) Did you remove the tank and roll it over on its side so all the water trapped on the right side can out?

2) Add some of special gas treatment that binds up and disperses water.   Even with the valve set to reserve there is still some trapped liquid in there.  Best get all the water out.

Cheers
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

cousindave

Quote from: "Mustang"on the bottom of tank there is a hose nipple screwed into the tank (bottom right rear corner )
unscrew it and seee what comes out for debris that is usually where they get blocked and then when it rains the water backs up the pipe which exits at the top of tank under the gas cap . with no where else to go it runs into the tank

Hey guys I'm back! Of course the moment I get my bike back to tippy-top running condition my company sent me to Vegas for the last week. Uhg! I'm so glad to be home!

Mustang thanks for that, I was wondering what the purpose of that nipple was! So if I unscrew it a little, it drains? Is it draining from the tank or somewhere else? Whatever it is, I'll let it drain a bit and see what comes out.

cousindave

Quote from: "nightrunner"1) Did you remove the tank and roll it over on its side so all the water trapped on the right side can out?

Yesir! I had a big bucket on the ground and I made sure that all fuel/water in the tank was sitting directly over the petcock valve. BTW, is there a filter inside the tank for the petcock valve? When I researched them I found that it is very standard for petcock valves to have a little stick filter installed directly to the top of it. My engine does not act like it is hungry for gas at all, but I did notice the fuel drained a little slower than I expected it to when I tipped the tank up over the bucket and emptied it.

And if it does have one, should I remove it and install an inline filter just after the petcock instead? What's the best setup?

Quote2) Add some of special gas treatment that binds up and disperses water.   Even with the valve set to reserve there is still some trapped liquid in there.  Best get all the water out.

Not yet. I have not bought anything yet. "Kick 104" was recommended to me. Is there any brand or product you like?

Thank you sir!

rf9rider

The drain nipple should be clear so that water collected in the top of fuel cap recess can drain through, take the nipple off and make sure its not blocked, then poke a bit of wire or something up through the hole  to make sure thats not blocked, the wire should come through around the fuel cap area, i did mine recently, took the fuel cap assembly off and gave it a good clean.

As for the petcock, there is a filter on top of it, you also have a filter in the plastic T piece where the fuel line meets the carbs.

As for an inline filter, it might help if you ride offroad?

Mustang

Quote from: "rf9rider"As for the petcock, there is a filter on top of it, you also have a filter in the plastic T piece where the fuel line meets the carbs.

I rely on the inline cone OEM filter in the fuel line at the carb ........it's easy to clean whenever you do airfilter maint. as you have to pull the carbs anyway.

What I and others have found is that the filters on the petcock pipe (both main and reserve) on the MIKUNI carbed bikes like to collapse from internal tank pressure when it's hot outside air temp . And this causes a fuel starvation that will basically drop 2 cylinders . The problem becomes even more pronounced on bikes that have a weak cap vent .

My 95 used to suffer from this ............until I removed both filters off the petcock pipes .
Hasn't happened since.

Short version of this story ......IF you have Mikuni Carbs lose the petcock filters and keep the inline at the carb fuel pipe . Your Tigger will thank you