News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

bouncy suspension

Started by rybes, October 02, 2010, 10:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

evenin  after ridin me tiger for a bit now ive decided that the rear shock is a bit bouncy. what do i need to change to make it less bouncey ?

thankies :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

BruKen

Rebound and damping should do it. Bottom of shock and on reservoir there are screw valves

JetdocX

Quote from: "rybes"evenin  after ridin me tiger for a bit now ive decided that the rear shock is a bit bouncy. what do i need to change to make it less bouncey ?

thankies :D

The shock.
From parts unknown.

Colonel Nikolai

When I picked up my 1996 Tiger with 28k miles on it the rear shock was essentially blown. I didn't pay much attention to it until one day I was riding with the sun shining hard to my right and above and behind me at around 50 mph. The bike cast a silhouette in front of me where I could see the rear swing-arm dancing up and down like crazy on a new highway that was as smooth as glass.

I sent the shock to be rebuilt by Sasquatch. The fixed shock is so amazing it's like a new bike. As far as I'm concerned there's no more cost effective alternative for this bike.

http://www.sasquatchrider.com/
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

BruKen

Rybes you rebuilt your shock as discussed didn't you?

rybes

yes mate, i did. im wonderin if ive got a tad too much preload on the spring ? never really played with suspension before so im learnin as i go along here. it feels like an old mini on hydroelastic cone thingys :lol:

BruKen

Preload won't make you bounce. That is caused by a failure in damping. If you have set the damping and rebound to max hard and you still have this issue, then I would suspect you haven't replaced the seals correctly or the cylinder is shot.

rybes

Quote from: "BruKen"Preload won't make you bounce. That is caused by a failure in damping. If you have set the damping and rebound to max hard and you still have this issue, then I would suspect you haven't replaced the seals correctly or the cylinder is shot.

ill have a play with the settins durin the week n see what happens. got me fingers crossed its that m not the shock itself

NeilD

think the Haynes and the handbook give you the standard settings, so thats a good starting point..

Colonel Nikolai

Too much preload will do the opposite: it'll make it STIFF.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

preload on the tiger shock for steamers should be set so that it has about 1 inch of static sag . meaning bike should sag about 1 inch from full extension under it's own weight with no rider aboard . and then crank it up some to get some weight transferred to that front wheel .

Rebound and damper settings should be set in the middle of the adjustment for solo riding and fine tuned from there for rider preference .

rybes

had a look n come across to probs.
prob 1
loose head bearins. not hugely loose but jus enuff t get a lil clucnk when ya grab the wheel.
prob 2
erm, someone fgot to tighten the handle bar risers properly :redface:

been out on it today n it feels loads better. gunna have a play with it at the weekend see if i can get the dampin better

anyone know how to measure full suspension travel or know what it is ?

cheers :D

Mustang

to set the sag just raise the rear of the bike up until the wheel just starts to loose contact with the flat level concrete you are parked on then measure from the floor to a point anywhere on the bike as long as you use that same point again . now let the bike back down and measure to that same point again . You are looking to see about an inch of sag with no rider aboard just the weight of the tigger .

rybes

sorry mustang, i wernt clear. i was talkin about the forks ;)

Mustang