News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Riding while standing

Started by D-Fuzz, October 11, 2010, 01:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Fuzz

I have yet to take my Tigger off the pavement, so this hasn't been much of an issue yet, but I have noticed standing on the pegs isn't the most comfortable riding position.  It seems the pegs are a little high, requiring me to bend over a little too much for my liking.  I installed some 1.5" risers to get the bars up a bit, which I prefer even while sitting, and while it helps when on the pegs, it still isn;t quite right.  I see there are some billet aluminum lowered pegs available from Mustang, I believe.  Is that going to be enough?  I am only 5'11" so no giant be any means.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

JetdocX

Bend your knees and grab the tank with them.  It's a work out riding these piggies.  It's fun and good for ya. :wink:
From parts unknown.

D-Fuzz

Unless you have legs like tree trunks, it would be tough to ride like that for too long.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

JetdocX

Riding motorcycles is for bad asses only.  Seriously, build up to it.  It's not that hard.  It will do wonders for your control in the loose shit, too.
From parts unknown.

D-Fuzz

The ergos on my DR650 are quite a bit different and standing is nearly as comfortable as sitting at times.  During my trip up the Dalton Highway, I spent long stretches at a time standing, especially when the road was really gooey.  The Tiger just feels a little more cramped, especially in the leg area.  Maybe I just need to get used to it.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

harre

I too found the standing riding position too low for my liking. I changed the handlebar to the ProTaper ATV mid and that worked well even with original footpegs (I'm 176 cm). The original handlebar has a downbend that makes it even lower, so I would recommend that you change the handlebar. I can ride standing up for a long time with my setup, but lowered footpegs would also be welcome.

Mustang

a 1 inch drop on the footpegs makes Alot of difference

D-Fuzz

Quote from: "Mustang"a 1 inch drop on the footpegs makes Alot of difference

Do you have a "Try before you buy" program?
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Mustang

take the rubber covers off your stock pegs ...underneath is a serrated tooth steel peg . by doing so you will have lowered the peg height by about 3/8ths of an inch or so .....now imagine what an 1 1/4 drop for steamer pegs does for the legroom

Colonel Nikolai

How do I get them? What do they cost? I'm a fool with my money it seems.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"How do I get them? What do they cost? I'm a fool with my money it seems.

http://www.knlcycle.com

Colonel Nikolai

Thanks Mustang. Picked up a pair.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Bob Tosi

D-Fuzz welcome to the heard
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Rocinante

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"I have yet to take my Tigger off the pavement, so this hasn't been much of an issue yet, but I have noticed standing on the pegs isn't the most comfortable riding position.  It seems the pegs are a little high, requiring me to bend over a little too much for my liking.  I installed some 1.5" risers to get the bars up a bit, which I prefer even while sitting, and while it helps when on the pegs, it still isn;t quite right.  I see there are some billet aluminum lowered pegs available from Mustang, I believe.  Is that going to be enough?  I am only 5'11" so no giant be any means.

I have raised the handlebars about 10cm and lowered the pegs from the stock rubber covered ones with about 3 cm(Mustang pegs), all in all 13cm or about 5 inches give or take.

I am 6´4" and can stand up for hours during a long day´s gravel ride. Ideally I would add even more height but somewhere it has to stop. Also it´s a lot about technique. Standing up takes quite some training to master well.

I too recommend Mustang´s pegs. Not only are they lower but also wider, making a steadier platform for your feet than the original pegs. By the way, the rubber on the original pegs are very slippery when standing up, especially when wet. Get rid of them if you haven´t already.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

D-Fuzz

I took the rubber things off about 5 minutes after I got the bike home.  I think I am going to try some ProTaper bars as I have noticed the downward droop of the stock bars.  I have ProTapers and my other bike and if I switch back and forth, I notice the difference right away.  A set of Mustang's pegs will likely be on the menu as well.  The good thing about the bike is there isn't a whole lot that really needs to be done to the bike for it to be spot on.  My DR650 required quite a bit of farkling with get it where I wanted.  The Tigger only needs a couple little things.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black