News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Broken rear brake lever bolt

Started by Nimrod11, November 22, 2010, 02:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrod11

Oh wise ones!

During my recent trip, we took a little detour along a dirt road (actually we took a lot of dirt roads, but this one was more memorable than others) :lol: .

As many here have noted, Tigers like to lie down and so did mine :roll: . I caught a rut in the road with my rear wheel and went over on my side. No harm done, no injury. I was fully loaded (3 bags) and quite heavy. The right side bag did fold out, at nearly 90º from its original position. I was quite surprised that nothing really broke, it just bent the fixing points a little.

Anyway, the point of the post is that the rear brake lever broke right off. It simply snapped the bolt that holds it in place but did remain in one piece. I would have thought that the lever itself would have broken, as it dug in to the dirt quite hard.

I managed to limp[ to the nearest town and found a good mechanic who helped take the broken bolt out. Didn't loose the thread and I just got another bolt with a little piece of tube around it that slipped in to the brake lever. It looks perfect and I wouldn't even think of fixing it BUT I am wondering if the original bolt is made to snap off, thus protecting the lever. It did snap clear off, nice and clean. I am wondering if a regular bolt would be stronger and, if this happens again, I would loose the lever.

Any thoughts?
----------
Tiger 2004

iansoady

Mine bent when the Tiger lay down on it, which was worse than breaking in a sense as it held the brake on. Fortunately I noticed it.

I think it's just making things out of the cheapest material that'll do the job.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

KuzzinKenny

I think its designed that way or i hope it is !! i bent my bolt a few years ago when me Tigger tryed to take a nap in a layby ( aptly named )

19   PFKL1203690   PEDAL.BRAKE   £66.78

20   PFKL1214712   BOLT,SHLD,M8 X 1.25,SLV,ENC   £4.75

i'd rather buy a bolt anyday  :D

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly