News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Couple of quick questions

Started by YellowTigre, February 03, 2011, 06:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowTigre

I'm looking at replacing a few parts of my Tiger

Namely:

Rear Brakes
Sprockets
Chain
Rear Tire

I've already got the Chain down to an Xring DID. What Tensile Strength do I want?

Brakes I'm going with EBC. I don't know what I have, should I choose Sintered or organic?

When I pull the back wheel off to do the Tire and Sprocket, do i have to replace the rubber buffer wedges in the wheel?

I'm at a cross roads between Anakees, Avon and TW152s. Any Guidance? What about tubes?

I'm going to buy the supersprox kit, but how many links do I want if I keep the original number of teeth?

I'd also like to change my grips and add barkbusters, can I do this with the factory handlebar? Where are the elements for the heated grips?
1999 Yellow 900i

1984 Can-Am ASE250

jwray76

Searching the board is going to be your best bet. All of these questions have been answered and there are a lot of opinions floating around.

In particular the sticky threads will be of great help...here are a couple very useful ones regarding your questions

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4017
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4126
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5025

YellowTigre

Now where can I purchase all of them in 1 place?
1999 Yellow 900i

1984 Can-Am ASE250

Timbox2

Okay, my two pennies...........

You dont say wether you have an 885 or 955, chain length is different, 116 link on the 885 114 Link 955. 530 Pitch on both.

Tensile Strength???  DID VM Xring is the one I went for, there is another one I think, a ZVM Xring, higher quality still, fit the best you can afford.

Pads:  HH Sintered do offer slightly better stopping, especially in wet conditions at the slight offset of wearing discs a bit quicker, alledgedly

Regarding the rubber buffers, or cush drive as its known, with the wheel still on the bike get the back wheel in the air and put the bike in gear then try to rotate the wheel back and forth and check that the hub doesnt move at all independantly from the wheel, if it doesnt their good, mines done 40k miles on the original so far.

Tyres is personal, Im using Anakees and Ive used Tourances, both good, no idea on the Bridgestones or Avons, though in all the tests Ive read those 2 seem to come out towards the bottom on preferance.

Tubes, no idea, mines tubeless.

If you change grips you loose the heated option as its part of the grip, Ive got BMW GS handguards, fit straight on.

Thats it, let battle commence :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

jwray76

Quote from: "YellowTigre"Now where can I purchase all of them in 1 place?

One of the big internet stores could probably do it for you. Give MC superstore, Dennis Kirk, or bikebandit a try. Plenty of others out there too that do a good job.

YellowTigre

Quote from: "Timbox2"Okay, my two pennies...........

You dont say wether you have an 885 or 955, chain length is different, 116 link on the 885 114 Link 955. 530 Pitch on both.

I've got a 1999 885.

I've got Avons on it now, and I'm on the wear bars on the back. I tried it the other day in some light dirt and snow, and It was a bear to steer.
1999 Yellow 900i

1984 Can-Am ASE250

NKL

My Tiger had Bridgstone Battlewings on it when I bought it and hated them, replaced them long before they were worn out with Anakees which I thought were great, only problem was rear tyre didn't last that long (about 4500 miles) although that was mostly fully loaded with camping gear.
Now got Conti Trail attak's on which seem to be lasting much better, yet grip as well.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

andyff013

Hi, I have Conti Trail Attacks on my `03 Girly, they have just over 9000 miles on them and are still well over the legal minimum tread depth, although the rear has squared off somewhat.
They are the only tyres I fit for durability/cost and grip :D
Regards, Andy.

jphish

Timbox2 - Which GS handguards ? 800, 1200 ? Or does it matter ?  Also what brand ? Barkbusters ? Other ?  Lots of questions...very few answers. Thanks. Toodles, j

metalguru

If you don't do any off-roading I found Michelin Pilot Roads are very good  :D
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

YellowTigre

I've got a set of hand guards on it now and I'd like something with more edge protection.

My plan is to build this bike into a "bug-out" bike. As well as a "touring" bike for Argentina later in the year.

After I replace the tires and final drive, my next hurdle is the suspension and protection areas.

Since I don't know if my bike has (apparently my bike has been around like a groupie at a rock concert) any suspension mods such as progressive springs etc....

So I've started to look at upgrades such as Front Springs as well as valves and preload adjusters. I've already looked at outright fork swaps, but the only thing that is dimensionally close to our tigers is a DR650 by Suzuki, which has worse on road handling than the tiger. I also can't find any information about the size of the rear shock other than total travel.

I've gotten a couple of ideas from Advrider in regards to a bash plate, and it looks like I'll make the crash bars at my friends welding shop.

Tires:

I got this tiger in trade for a R100GS that I had. It rode on a pair of Metzler Tourances. It was great out in the Arizona Desert.  Not too shabby on the roads either. I would like something close to that handling and grip. The avons I have on it now are great on street but are really poor in the dirt (front tire complaint not worn rear).

I ask about tubes since I see that its got spoked wheels. I work on airplanes and I know first hand that reusing inner tubes over is a BAD IDEA.
1999 Yellow 900i

1984 Can-Am ASE250

walker

have you considered the tourances for that tiger?

Timbox2

Quote from: "jphish"Timbox2 - Which GS handguards ? 800, 1200 ? Or does it matter ?  Also what brand ? Barkbusters ? Other ?  Lots of questions...very few answers. Thanks. Toodles, j

Neither of them, the old 1150 ones, a complete kit from BM is about £60, I did also add the Touratech Extensions for another £30 though, see below:

OOH look, Sunshine, remember that??
2016 Tiger Sport

Danny955i

get a supersprox rear sprocket...

YellowTigre

I'm thinking of getting the whole supersprox kit.

Do I have to replace the chain guide?

As for Tourances, I'd like to put one on the back, but that means I've got to do one on the front as well.

Still no guide as to the inner tube question.....
1999 Yellow 900i

1984 Can-Am ASE250