News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shinko Sh**-o???

Started by deepsouthtiger, March 08, 2011, 01:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepsouthtiger

Need tires.......economy sucks....income down and all that rot.

I see some Shinko 705's (and a special on FREE shipping) that is very attractive.  But I am skeptical I have only EVER run Anakees on my Girly.

I can find reviews for the Shinkos on Wee-Stroms....but the Girly is a bit more of a Beast and I would really like to know how they hold up to Big Girly.

Anyone have any feedback?
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

Mustang

they perform as good or better than Metzler Tourances and have a very similar tread pattern . Expect good performance and the wear will be about equal to a metzler maybe a little better even .
and for the price they kick ass !

as always YMMV................I like 'em
this one has about 8000 miles on it in the pic below on my tiger and it went another 5 k on my sidecar tug (a tiger also) b4 it was toast

deepsouthtiger

Mustang.....thanks for the info Are you running tube or tubeless tires?

The '05 runs tubeless......which I am having trouble on line determining if the Shinko is a tube or tubeless tire........plus the speed rating concerns me, these have (according to MCSuperStore) an H rating, but Chapparel lists them with an "L" rating @ only 75 mph.  And well I exceed 75....uhm....often.....sshhh don't tell  :wink:

What has been your "real world" experience?

Mustang

they are tubeless...............
you can easily run all day in the August heat on the superslab at 85 + mph
pretty much you can ignore what the BMW crowd on ADVRIDER says  :shock:
here's the rear after 12 k with the last 4k being tortured on the side hack
it's a bias ply the radials are better

Hemibee

The size for the Tiger will be radials, tubeless and H rated, or at least that is what I've found recently.  Standard disclaimer...YMMV
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger (Gone)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne

AK Tiger

I had the 705's (bias ply) on my Tiger last summer.  They survived the trip from Seward to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and to Key West, Florida.  There was some meat left on them but the tread was pulling away from the carcass, much like in the photo that Mustang posted.  I removed them in Daytona Beach and replace them with Metzlers.  

I'm needing tires again and may look at the radial version of the 705's, but will not purchase the bias ply units again.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

deepsouthtiger

So that tire has 16,000 miles on it Mustang?  WOW thats darn good for the price I guess.....and I assume a few short blasts over the 100 mph mark won't make a huge issue.......the " meat separation" AK tiger mentions is my concern.....Wow AK when where you in K.W?  I used to live there. Worked for the local newspaper.

jwray76

running the 705's on the Tiger right now and no complaints. I ran a few sets of the Shinko Ravens on my suzuki Bandit and never had a complaint. My general opinion is that they are a very good tire for the money.

Mustang

no it had 12 k total
and the tread blocks never showed any separation until after about 7 k and it never really was a concern to me ..

Don't listen to all the BS about air pressure or what is listed on the tire either for that matter , it liked 38 psi rear and 42 front the tread sep came when I let the air pressure get below 32 psi for too long on the slab .

Putts255

I will be ordering the Shinko's when my tax return comes in.  They will be radials and I will order some higher quality tubes to fit as I have spoked rims.
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

AK Tiger

I checked the tire pressures religiously.  Not worth taking the chance as I had my wife on the back with me.  

Deepsouthtiger (wow, that's a mouthfull!) I was just there to complete an IBA ride.  Didn't care to stay as we were there in July.  The temps were 95+ and the humidity was higher!  :shock:
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

topher0268

Quote from: "deepsouthtiger"Need tires.......economy sucks....income down and all that rot.

I see some Shinko 705's (and a special on FREE shipping) that is very attractive.  But I am skeptical I have only EVER run Anakees on my Girly.

I can find reviews for the Shinkos on Wee-Stroms....but the Girly is a bit more of a Beast and I would really like to know how they hold up to Big Girly.

Anyone have any feedback?

Who's got that free shipping special? I'm looking at the same tires and the reviews have been good it seems.
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

deepsouthtiger

Well AK I actually moved North to the "deep south" of coastal Alabama where believe it or not in July its hotter here than in the Keys! At least the Keys has a breeze, here...NOT.  Guess I like the humid heat.....(was born in Ohio go figure)
Both Motorcycle Superstore and Chaparral have the Free shipping right now, and "sale" tire prices going on.

Sounds like these Shinko's might fit the bill....at least I can get 10-14,000 miles outta a new set of them for about the price of 1 rear Anakee.......bought time the girl got some new shoes.   :D

Hemibee

Others offering free shipping

http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Shinko/Shinko_705_dualsport.htm

http://www.compacc.com/p/Shinko-705-Series-Dual-Sport-Tires-Radial-Tire-Package

I haven't used Tires Unlimited so I don't know anything about them.  I've used Competition Accessories several times for gear but not for tires, they have been great for gear purchases.
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger (Gone)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne

deepsouthtiger

Ordered today so will see how they do.  :-)

Thanks all for the info.