News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain/Sprocket replacement

Started by 97tiger885, April 19, 2011, 11:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I am about to do my first chain/sprocket switch.  I have two questions: First, what size is the nut on the front sprocket?  Second, what is the best method for locking the front sprocket?  My initial idea was to put the mc in top gear and lock the rear brake.  That is not possible at the moment as the rear wheel is at the shop for a new tire.  Any other methods out there that anyone cares to recommend?  If I have to, I can wait until I get the tire back.  I am waiting on delivery for the MotionPro chain rivet tool kit anyway.

+++++++
Jon

Mustang

wait for the wheel ,the brake is the only thing that will hold for the torque you need ...................................

97tiger885

I am ready to remove the sprocket cover.

The cover is loose; I can feel it move but it won't come off.  I have removed 8 bolts-3 from the slave cylinder and 5 from the sprocket cover.  I haven't removed the slave cylinder cover.  That seems to be stuck. How do I get the SC cover off?  Keep whacking it with my rubber hammer?  Pry it off?  Jedi mind trick? Your advice to gently remove isn't going to work.

++++++++++
Jon

rybes

keep ya hammer out and gently knock it till it can move. dont hit it too hard ya just wanna loosen it. then get wigglin till it comes free. or..........if ya brave get a pair of stilsons or an adjustable on it to get it movin
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Mustang"wait for the wheel ,the brake is the only thing that will hold for the torque you need ...................................
Actually, if you are disposing of the chain, take the wheel off and jam the chain with a block of wood.  Much simpler when you are on your own :)

97tiger885

Quote from: "rybes"keep ya hammer out and gently knock it till it can move. dont hit it too hard ya just wanna loosen it. then get wigglin till it comes free. or..........if ya brave get a pair of stilsons or an adjustable on it to get it movin

I whacked it a few more times and nothing.  Out of frustration  (with all of the bolts out) I pulled in the clutch and it pushed the entire cover free.  But I couldn't pull it off because of the slave cover.  So I put four bolts back in the sprocket cover and attempted to take off the (banjo?) bolt to the slave cylinder thinking I would keep both covers together.  I was hoping bleeding the clutch wouldn't be too bad. The bolt didn't budge but trying to twist the bolt did break the cover free.  Bonus!  Cover off and nothing broken so far.

Now, how do I remove the rock hard gasket from the sprocket cover?

++++++++++
Jon

JetdocX

From parts unknown.

97tiger885

Quote from: "JetdocX"Plastic scraper.

Ok, I will try that.  Soaking the gasket in brake fluid didn't do a thing except give me a wicked headache.

Quote from: "CHL"Actually, if you are disposing of the chain, take the wheel off and jam the chain with a block of wood. Much simpler when you are on your own.

My first attempt at that failed.   I took an 18" piece of 2x4, drilled a hole in it and make a sandwich out the chain and the 2x4 with a carriage bolt.   I put the end of the 2x4 against the cross piece of the swing arm securing it in place against the left arm with zip ties.  Part of that may have to do with the fact that I left the mc in neutral.  Now of course I can't get it to shift into 1st w/o starting it and I can't start it b/c I have no oil in the mc.  I may have to put the cover back on, put in the old oil, start it and get it into gear.

Ignoring that, how did you use the wood to jam the chain?  

++++++
Jon

97tiger885

I have the mc in gear and the chain fixed in place.  Now the problem is getting the front sprocket nut to release.  I tried a 4 foot breaker bar with my 1/2 inch ratchet.  All that accomplished was a sore back.  I bought some better penetrating lubricant.  My plan is to 1. spray the nut, tap it a few times, let it set for a while, 2. repeat a bunch of times and 3. build some kind of stand so that I can put the nut under constant pressure with the breaker bar overnight.  Is there a technique other than spraying, waiting and respraying and rewaiting and...?

+++++++
Jon

rf9rider

Don`t want to sound stupid, but i take it you have bent down the tabs on the lock washer first?

Mustang

tight aren't they ?
I had one so tight once that a hammer and chisel was required to get the nut to break.
chisel against one of the flats just before the corner hex , three pound estwing sledge hammer , one good smack , nut loose .

97tiger885

Quote from: "rf9rider"Don`t want to sound stupid, but i take it you have bent down the tabs on the lock washer first?

I have the tabs bent back against the sprocket.  

Quote from: "Mustang"tight aren't they ?
I had one so tight once that a hammer and chisel was required to get the nut to break.
chisel against one of the flats just before the corner hex , three pound estwing sledge hammer , one good smack , nut loose .

Ok, I probably will try that.  I have sprayed penetrating fluid, tapped, waited and tried to loosen it.  The nut was under about 150Nm of pressure all night.  Nothing.  The manual has it at 132Nm.  I know I have exceeded 200Nm with the breaker.  

One thing...this is a standard nut?...clockwise to tighten, counterclockwise to loosen?  Wouldn't be the first time I had it backwards.  

++++
jon

JetdocX

Heat and Kroil.  An impact driver is your friend.  And reasonably cheap these days considering the time/knuckle savings. :wink:
From parts unknown.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "97tiger885"
Quote from: "JetdocX"Plastic scraper.

Ok, I will try that.  Soaking the gasket in brake fluid didn't do a thing except give me a wicked headache.

Quote from: "CHL"Actually, if you are disposing of the chain, take the wheel off and jam the chain with a block of wood. Much simpler when you are on your own.

My first attempt at that failed.   I took an 18" piece of 2x4, drilled a hole in it and make a sandwich out the chain and the 2x4 with a carriage bolt.   I put the end of the 2x4 against the cross piece of the swing arm securing it in place against the left arm with zip ties.  Part of that may have to do with the fact that I left the mc in neutral.  Now of course I can't get it to shift into 1st w/o starting it and I can't start it b/c I have no oil in the mc.  I may have to put the cover back on, put in the old oil, start it and get it into gear.

Ignoring that, how did you use the wood to jam the chain?  

++++++
Jon
It's been a while and I can't remember the specifics.  I do know that using the rear brake and sticking it in gear didn't work.

But you should wrap the chain around the wood and then jam the chain in place so it can't turn, but upon itself (imagine a figure of 8) - hence only do it if you are binning the chain (which should be about 99% of the time).  Don't forget to protect your swingarm.

The other thing I found, I originally had a 12" breaker bar which failed to move it.  I then bought a 24" which also failed to move it.  I then bought a 36" bar which pretty much got it straight away.  Leverage is definitely key on one that his been in place for some time.

Next time I do it, I'll grab some photos, which is going to be too late for you :(

Mustang

get about a 5 foot long pc of this that will fit over ratchet handle
+
an assistant to mash the rear brake peadal down HARD !

put the pipe at 12 oclock and pull it down towards 9 oclock the nut should break free and then unscrew by hand ,believe it or not !