News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain/Sprocket replacement

Started by 97tiger885, April 19, 2011, 11:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

question here fpr 97tiger885. whats that cage around your sidestand switch ? is it a standard tiger part or did you rob it off somthin else ? i want one  :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

thats a std. tiger part they all came with

Mustang

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"I did the chain & sprocket job yesterday.  I too have a slight issue with the shifter now that it is back together.  I have all the gears, but when I push the shift lever down (like to shift into 1st gear) there isn't any spring tension to bring it back up to it resting position.  If I move the shifter up, it is fine.  I didn't mess around at all in that area, so I can't see why things would have changed.  Any thoughts?
are your dowel locating pins for the cover in place so the cover went back on the same exact spot it came off .
if the cover is maybe binding up the shift shaft a little bit  on the bearing and seal .

rybes

Quote from: "Mustang"thats a std. tiger part they all came with

gutted. mines never had one and they dont list em on bike bandit or world of triumph. anyone got one they dont want  :wink:  :wink:

Mustang

rybes bike bandit is showing it as part of the left hand control plate (foot peg bracket) for 165 USDollars :shock:

rybes

oh yeah, i see it. lookslike ts part of that engine mountin foot bracket plate.suddenly i dont want one :lol:

Mustang

my two tigers I bought brand new have it .............the sidecar tug that I bought 2nd hand it is missing and looks like someone snapped it off in order to get at the switch :shock:

D-Fuzz

Quote from: "Mustang"are your dowel locating pins for the cover in place so the cover went back on the same exact spot it came off .
if the cover is maybe binding up the shift shaft a little bit  on the bearing and seal .

I was maybe thinking that.  The dowels seems to have lined up ok, but it might not have to be off by much to bind. Problem is I filled it with oil already.  Maybe I will try to give it a couple whacks with a rubber mallet and see if that helps.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Mustang

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"I was maybe thinking that.  The dowels seems to have lined up ok, but it might not have to be off by much to bind. Problem is I filled it with oil already.  Maybe I will try to give it a couple whacks with a rubber mallet and see if that helps.

if you lean the bike over on the right side ,even as little as this

you can take the cover off and not lose any oil .

I would lean the bike over and  loosen all the bolts holding the cover on and see how the shift works with everything loose , then when it's shifting right tighten up the bolts .

D-Fuzz

The problem appears to be solved.  I loosened the bolts on the cover a half turn and knocked the top of the cover with a  piece of wood and a rubber mallet.  It moved it just enough to get rid of the binding on the shaft.  I retightened the bolts and it shifts as it should again.  Finicky thing. :?

One another note, I installed a 19-tooth front sprocket along with the 48-tooth rear.  It makes a pretty significant difference.  time will tell if I actually like it or if it makes any difference in fuel economy.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

wakdady

rybes

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"One another note, I installed a 19-tooth front sprocket along with the 48-tooth rear.  It makes a pretty significant difference.  time will tell if I actually like it or if it makes any difference in fuel economy.

post ya findind D. id like to know what differnce it makes for ya as im thinkin of doin it meself.

D-Fuzz

Well, so far the biggest things I have found is:

- 1st gear much taller now, too tall for any off-road applications for sure
- Around town riding at 50km/h (30mph), the revs are around 4000rpm in 2nd gear.  I don't normally ride in 2nd at that speed, but for short bursts between traffic lights, I can comfortably stay in 2nd without the engine buzzing away beneath me.
- At freeway speeds around 100-110km/h (60-65mph), in 6th gear revs are around 4000rpm or just slightly above.  Taking the speed up to 120-125km/h keeps the revs around 4500rpm, which is about 500rpm lower than before.

I find the happy point for my engine seems to be around 4000rpm, so the bigger front sprocket seems to make the bike smoother at the speeds I tend to ride.  I'd like to get a tank through on the highway to see what fuel economy is like.  Hopefully that will happen on Friday.  If I was using the bike for more dual-sport riding versus touring, I'd likely have installed a 17-tooth front, just to make 1st gear a bit lower.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Milton

When I first got my bike it had a 19 tooth primary. Worked very well on the highway but off road things got pretty exciting. So shortly after I got the Tiger I replaced chain and sprockets with an 18 tooth primary (factory default). If I rode reasonably, without a lot of twist in the grip, I could get up to 55 mpg. After my last chain and sprockets wore out I replaced the front with a 17 for more off road ability (should say off pavement as the Tiger is not a single track vehicle even though I keep trying). The 17 is better for off road but still not quite low enough for slow going. I think a taller rear would help. The mpg has dropped to ~46. I have noticed that a 1 tooth change in the primary gives just a bit less than 500 rpm change.
1992 BMW K100RS 4V 49K Broken but not dead. She shall arise from the ashes!

1998 Triumph Tiger. This bike rocks!

D-Fuzz

I'd pretty much agree with Milton's assessment.  As far as my off-pavement riding goes, I don't ride much that requires me to stay in 1st gear that much, mostly gravel fire roads and such, so the 19-tooth front is ok.  If I could find a spare sprocket cover, I think I would do the conversion to separate it from the oil filler.  It would be nice to have easier access in there.

As far as the mpg rating....Wow!  I've never got 50mpg, even if I was using imperial gallons.  It seems lately I haven't been riding much under 75mph either, which doesn't help.  On our trip last month, when we were riding around 60mph I was getting in the 40's and I was happy with that.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black