News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New toy but rev and fuel issues

Started by shack, May 06, 2011, 06:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shack

Hi again, well the old girl isn't as noisy in the flesh, took her for a blast but died after 8 miles. I started her up and put it onto reserve as had been turned off for transport and fuel light was on. I put about 15lt of fuel in having tuned in onto the 'on' position, revs fluctuate when your going along at a constant speed (flat road any gear) the rev wobble range appears to be anywhere between 4.5-5.5K revs, altough bike doesnt surge back and forth with the engine fluctuations the delivary isnt there, anyway after overtaking a coach on a dual carriage way it proceeded to die (typical timing) and coasted into the hard shoulder and pushed it to layby (mine these girls weigh a bit) it only fired up again when I put her back on 'res' and rode home, but the dodgy rev wobble is still there.

Any help welcome, work has been done (see Een's posts about redoing airbox and sealing things)

I think she will be great but need to finish the niggles off/ sort them out.

Mustang

That's where she comes off the pilots and onto the mains and needle. clean the carbs most likely

shack

When I filled up I noticed some (excuse ignorance) what appeared to be a thin veneer of foil type material in the inside of the filler neck, which wasn't intact (ie only small patched left) I nudged a bit off and managed to stop that bit falling into the tank.
Questions- Any idea what is was, where it came from and is it normal (never noticed anything like it in any of the previous 14 bikes I've owned over the years)
Where might those bits end up? eg carbs or is there an in tank filter? is there space and pipes etc for another in line filter between tank and carbs? (sorry newbie questions, only had her a few days)
I've ordered some silkolene fst pro fuel addative to help clear and clear things out as friends sware by the said  snake oil !
Thanks as ever. Shack

een705

Hi Shack I would do as you are doing and add the fuel additive I wouldnt be to keen on stripping carbs down just yet. I would also take the petrol pipe off the fuel tap and see if fuel comes out when in normal position.  I would think an inline filter wouldnt be to hard to fit. Hope you sort it soon and im sure with the people on here you will. Maybe try to PM coolhandluke as he offered to come and have a look when I had her and he is a lot nearer to you than me. Just a thought.

shack

Thanks een705, I shall have a fiddle (and not rushing to touch carbs at all) :wink:  I'm waiting patiently for the addative (and my haynes manual) to arrive.
I've been cleaning and tidying as time (and weather) allows, just want to iron out the niggles and then get some miles on her :wink:

akendall1966

Looks a little like POR15 a tank sealer.
http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-tanks ... r-kit.html

It looks like grey metalic paint, or at least it dose in the tank I used it on. But that was a metal tank not plastic which it is not supposed to be used. It would be all over the inside not just round the filler though.

There is guaze filter on the tap, which would catch bigger bits. That would tend to glog at the bottom. So could restrict fuel when low or on reserve.

Hopefuly not could be bit trickky to clean it out.
----AK-----

shack

Thanks for that, I will clean out the guaze, I was thinking or some kind of hi-flo in-line filter, has anyone fitted one (if so which one, where and how is it)
Shack

rybes

i got none of the filters triumph fit just one universal 8mm inline filter between the tap and carbs. never gave me a problem.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

shack

Thanks again, I shall check out some in-line filters as well, and see how much space I have to play with between the tap and carbs, I notice that the filters come in all shapes and sizes, Rybes I don't suppose you can remember where you got yours from (or even a piccy of said filter insitu)
I let you all know how I get on.
Shack

shack

Hi Folks, well my revs appear to have no bearing on what I'm doing today, and the way home I was travelling about 30mph in probably 4th gear at a constant speed and the rev needle was jumping up and down (inc upto the redline) with no noticable change in engine noise, and no different response in power ie no massive lurching or backing off with the rev counter!

Any ideas at all?

Mustang

Quote from: "shack"Hi Folks, well my revs appear to have no bearing on what I'm doing today, and the way home I was travelling about 30mph in probably 4th gear at a constant speed and the rev needle was jumping up and down (inc upto the redline) with no noticable change in engine noise, and no different response in power ie no massive lurching or backing off with the rev counter!

Any ideas at all?
two things
1. the tachometer itself is toast or:
2. the igniter which sends the signal to the tach is buggered

either one is not a cheap fix  .

shack

is it easy to work out which one it is (and I don't suppose it might be contributing to pants performance :cry: )
Do they have any diagnostic plug in's? (It's a UK K-reg 1993) as might be worth the £50 to get it fettled and set up once and for all, I did spot a couple of plug in wires that look likely (or it might be a plug in bit for an alarm?)

Mustang

triumph has a special scanner for the igniter ...easier to just try a tachometer from any  t309/409 triumph 3 cylinder if it still wont work it is the black box .

shack

Well after giving the tank a good flush through and cleaned the filters, she is running better and smoother than before (wasn't hard  :shock: ) might well stick an in-line filter in the mix as well at some point.
Whilst the tank was off I went through checking and cleaning connections as I went. I took her out for a 10mile blast and the tach needle behaved itself, so I'm hoping it was just a gremlin.

R0B

If you need a '93 igniter, let me know as I have one...........and I have a clock set.

Rob