News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

runnin rich

Started by rybes, August 08, 2011, 11:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

evenin :d what would make my carbs start runnin rich ? when i came over to denmark in may they were runnin what i would call right. the exhaust pipes had a light grey coatin on them similar to the colour of plugs when the mixture is right. since i had to fix that small brass pipe on the choke mechanism theyve slowly got richer. normal runnin speed for me round here is about 5000rpm. what should i be lookin at fiddlin ? i got a long run to do in a few weeks back to england on it and id like it runnin better for that.

cheers all :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

bad oring on the float assembly ? it will let gas leak by and flood the float chamber making it run rich . just a thought

maybe your brass pipe replacement is slowing going south causing it to run rich ???

rf9rider

Do you know what that brass pipe actually does?

rybes

o rings eh, ill have to give a place a ring and see if i can get newuns. the brass pipe RF is the one on the side that the choke plunger blocks off or opens wether the choke is closed or not

rf9rider

I see, as Mustang said, maybe its the cause if its part of the choke?

rybes

yeah, im gunna have to get out there and pull the carbs off and have a look. didnt really wanna as i couldnt be bothered but looks like i got no choice :lol:

rybes

while waitin for some new o rings to turn up from jaythro ive been experimentin. seems weird that if i ride it kinda hard doin 80mph most of the time. i only loose out 2 miles from the red light comin on if i ride it sensibly  :?  thought it woulda gave me more ridin sensibly. praps its runnin stupidly rich ?

Mustang

Quote from: "rybes"praps its runnin stupidly rich ?

that's what I would put my money on in a bet

rybes

oh well, here goes removal of that delightful air box  :roll:

rybes

right, got me carbs apart and taken the floats off. guess what ive found ? one o ring has been pinched when it got put back stratchin it slightly and another has a slice out of it. im guessin this is my prob. due to jaythro bein a good sport i now have a new set of o rings to fit. cheers mate  8)
ive got a question. before i push the float assemblys back in with the new o rings, is there anythin i can put on the o rings to help them slide in easier so they dont get damaged ? im thinkin either petrol or a small drop of oil.
what you reckon ?

Mustang

oil or even a little smear of grease will help tremendously ............that tip is in the sticky for the mikunis BTW

rybes

oh yeah, so it is  :oops:  i read the other mikuni guide ya see.
cheers for that mustang. im off back out in the garage. i been sat here waitin for ya to turn ya pc on  :lol:  :wink:

Jaythro

Vaseline or Grease Old Spanner Jockeys trick

You young whippersnappers these days

At least ya had the sense to wait and ask us Ole fellers LOL

Did you take photos of the carb removal process

rybes

whippersnapper ? f'in whippersnapper ill have you know im 6 months of 40  :P
i did think of usin oil but as ive not played with o rings like this in the past i thought id just ask to make sure.

and no, i didnt take any pics, sorry mate. if ya want me to tho i will. i gotta take the carbs off again as me throttle cable decided to die as i put the carbs in. the poxy thing snapped just where the cable bolts to the carb bodies :cry: not the cable but the bent tube bit, so now it sticks. wouldnt mind but its gunna take a week to get a throttle cable in this lack of everythin bikin country  :x

Jaythro

Patience is a Virtue Young Whippersnapper

If ya need I'll get one and stick it in a BIG birthday card for you  :wink:

Did you try the airbox chop we were talking about?