News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 1200 mergefest **all 1200 chat here

Started by Bixxer Bob, September 10, 2011, 11:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger-G

Note to all:  I've changed my user name from Big G to Tiger-G. This makes it the same on all the bike forums I frequent  :D

As for fuel range, let's look at where we started with the Tiger in 1993. It had a 25 litre tank and had a comfortable range of 250 miles. Then with the introduction of the 955 that went down to 24 litres and a 210 mile range. Then it was the 800 with a 150 mile range.

Is that progress ??

For those of us that class oursleves as "proper" ADV riders, where we are out all day in the middle of knowwhere with no fuel stations, I think fuel range and a big tank are important.

It seems that's not the case with manufacturers lately. They are now making "Big Trailies", that have traditionally had massive tanks and long range, and putting smaller tanks on them with much less range. Maybe they have to think of the mass market, keeping weight down for more "fragile" riders ??

There's a discussion going on on the ADV forum about the range of the Tiger 1200. These are people that get out and want to ride all day in countrys where fuel stations are few and far between.

I live near the Scottish Borders and when I go out for a ride I'm out for the day and will cover about 350 to 400 miles on little obscure roads at warp factor 10, where there are no fuel stations. I want to be able to travel long distance without worrying about fuel. Tradionally, what a "Big Trailie" did.

So I suppose some of us want a big tank and long range, and some of us aren't bothered because they don't go far enough to warrant it - horses for courses ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

mat-tiger1

Sounds like a job for the 'Aftermarket' boys, this one :!:  
I wonder if there'll be two versions like the 800 :?:
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "mat-tiger1"I wonder if there'll be two versions like the 800 :?:

You mean two versions like a stock GS and an Adventurer. :wink:

Nick Calne

If I'm not mistaken the BMW GSA has a larger tank too....?

If the new tiger tank's no bigger on the adventure equivalent, I'm going start making alu tanks in the shed.  The market will be there, not because many people need such a tank but because they want to feel like they do.  (and why not) Think touratech or similar.

I wouldn't worry if triumph make the tank this big or that big, an aftermarket tank will be along shortly as Mat-tiger suggests.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Chris Canning

It's a nice idea but would cost telephone numbers,having spent a lot of my own time having a batch of aftermarket tanks made for the BM 1100s  taking them from 18ish to nearly 24 liters,I can tell you to have a tank made you'll be looking at the very minimum of £500 if not more.

I know of a plastic option for a Ducati Hypermotard  and that was around the same price.

Chris Canning

Great artical in todays MCN about the new 1200,the spy shot taken last year in the South of France with the big tank!! that was the finished article  :roll: Triumph lost their nerve at the last minute and have done a re-design and also gone for the smaller tank.

robxxxx

I was getting more and more interested in the Explorer, until tonight. The full specs now on the Triumph website show that at 962mm wide I will not be able to get one down my back passage. :shock:
Oh well looks like the Girly will be in service for a wee bit longer.

Chris Canning

Well got to see my first one in the flesh,looks a lot better than the photos  :? a grey one and also one in white ,from behind it's very small,but if that motor is producing the HP they say it those tyres ain't going to last 5 minutes,never mind keep it connected to the road.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "robxxxx"I was getting more and more interested in the Explorer, until tonight. The full specs now on the Triumph website show that at 962mm wide I will not be able to get one down my back passage. :shock:
Oh well looks like the Girly will be in service for a wee bit longer.

:shock:  not one for proctologists then  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

chairhead

Quote from: "Tiger-G"Then with the introduction of the 955 that went down to 24 litres and a 210 mile range.

when I go out for a ride I'm out for the day and will cover about 350 to 400 miles on little obscure roads at warp factor 10, where there are no fuel stations.

That would be 23 liters :roll: ,

Thats good MPG if there are no fuel stations,still i suppose its to be expected from a real "ADV" rider :lol:  :wink:

and as for covering huge distances, well ,respect!,im more of a sunday bimble man who only rides on sunny days and when my wife allows me :wink:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Chris Canning

Quote from: "chairhead"im more of a sunday bimble man who only rides on sunny days and when my wife allows me :wink:

Which makes you part of a very large majority!!!

Mustang

is "sunday bimble " code for "snow up to my ass " :ImaPoser

Bixxer Bob

beat me to it Mustang, I was going to bring up the photo of having to warm the beer to thaw it enough to drink :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

chairhead

Quote from: "Mustang"is "sunday bimble " code for "snow up to my ass " :ImaPoser

:ImaPoser  :icon_salut
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Tiger-G

My apologies if the 955 tank is only 23 litres, I could have sworn it was 24 ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.