News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Won't start after a long journey

Started by Goodwinsplace, February 06, 2012, 07:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Timbox2".....Dont get hung up on some of the stuff others have done, If your bike is generally running ok , LEAVE WELL ALONE......

Very very good advice, although not an option when you ride a sick bike to the dealer who does such a good job fixing it it has to be trailered home, eh Tim?

Thats the exception to the rule,over the years I've used Ideal garage,Pole Postion,Windy corner,Pure Triumph,even a Triumph dealer in Valencia all have changed maps,have had issues with various maps,but not the folk putting them in.

All a bit of side issue,cuz untill the gent puts a new battery in he'll not have aclue were he's going with anything else,if you have a battery thats gone flat and it's 18 months /2 years old or older bin it,it'll be a time bomb waiting to let you down.

flaco

Well apart from all the other stuff, I'm impressed by the trip from Brighton to Cardiff in sub-zero weather. How did you keep warm, other than extra socks, or didn't you? Heated grips? Any heated clothing? I rode from Chippenham to Truro the other day and it was not balmy.
kernow bys vyken

Goodwinsplace

Chris : New battery will go on same time as doing any tests.

Flaco : 3 pairs of socks, coat under my bike gear and Ski gloves - I didn't want to use my heated grips in the fear it would put more strain on the battery. First and last time I will ride any distance in that weather.
My personal journey on two wheels: MotorbikeTest.info Blog

Chris Canning

As I side issue,latch on to Timbox he's your neck of the woods,he's old!! :D not as old as me :(  but old enough to have been there done that and will make life a lot easier,and if your one of those reprobates who doesn't work all the time  :oops: ,might even drag you along to the Crossgates cafe at some time.

He had a really nice Tiger but has a terrible habit of wearing his bikes out  :roll:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Thats the exception to the rule,over the years I've used Ideal garage,Pole Postion,Windy corner,Pure Triumph,even a Triumph dealer in Valencia all have changed maps,have had issues with various maps,but not the folk putting them in...

Fair point Chris, but I didn't have money to go throwing at bad dealers till I found a good 'un.  And I if I had found a good un' I wouldn't have learned so much about how this Tigger works either..... :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"As I side issue,latch on to Timbox he's your neck of the woods,he's old!! :D not as old as me :(  but old enough to have been there done that and will make life a lot easier,and if your one of those reprobates who doesn't work all the time  :oops: ,might even drag you along to the Crossgates cafe at some time.

He had a really nice Tiger but has a terrible habit of wearing his bikes out  :roll:

Ha ha, yep, feeling older all the time, to be fair to the Tiger at 50,000 miles, it was just getting loosened up, It was more of f.. it, I fancy something new and expensive. But as Chris says, if you need help or have a day off for Crossgates, Im yer man, though even Im not riding in this s..t at the moment.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"Thats the exception to the rule,over the years I've used Ideal garage,Pole Postion,Windy corner,Pure Triumph,even a Triumph dealer in Valencia all have changed maps,have had issues with various maps,but not the folk putting them in...

Fair point Chris, but I didn't have money to go throwing at bad dealers till I found a good 'un.  And I if I had found a good un' I wouldn't have learned so much about how this Tigger works either..... :lol:

Not so much throwing money at dealers more the list of how either they've gone bust or Triumph pulled the plug on e'm  :D and I've had to move on,although all were talking about is shimming and maps.

Goodwinsplace

Anyone have a rough price for a new battery? Just been quoted £60+ does that sound right?
Batteries off eBay alright??

Timbox : Any local suggestions? Thanks for the offer, will give you a shout if I need a second/experienced look at things.

Chris : Yep, he sounds a good guy. Sadly I do work so not always free to go out on the bike or cafe visits. :wink:

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Goodwinsplace"Anyone have a rough price for a new battery? Just been quoted £60+ does that sound right?

Timbox : Any local suggestions?

Chris : Yep, he sounds a good guy. Sadly I do work so not always free to go out on the bike or cafe visits. :wink:

60 quid  :shock: ,buy one off ebay 30 quid and a few pennies + post,don't be put off by having to put the acid in easy peesy,the important bit make sure it has a full charge when you fit it,over night on an optimate will do fine,if you don't you'll always be playing catchup.

Chris Canning

To be honest the YTX14BS isn't enough battery for the Tiger,but short of doing what I did with an Odyssey 535 you'll just have to grin and bare it.

Goodwinsplace

Cheers Chris, didn't think it was a good deal. It was a Triumph dealer so probably the extra for the carrier bag (+5p for the bag here in Wales).

Will look on eBay in a bit.

Chris Canning

There you go from the sublime to the outrageous  :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... Categories

I did a group buy on another board for Odyssey batteries the PC680 is a fearsome thing but even they got knackered up because folk didn't look after e'm

Timbox2

Quote from: "Goodwinsplace"Anyone have a rough price for a new battery? Just been quoted £60+ does that sound right?

Timbox : Any local suggestions? Thanks for the offer, will give you a shout if I need a second/experienced look at things.

Im lazy and dont tend to do much searching, I bought a Genuine Yuasa from a Honda dealer for mine, paid about £50 I think.

Do you know Genius Motorcycles in Cardiff? In a little back Street, Beresford Road Lane CF24 1QU, just off Newport Road, he used to be good for cheap stuff
2016 Tiger Sport

Goodwinsplace

I know Genius from back in the day of riding off road bikes around 15 years+ ago!

Thanks for the eBay search, I will take a look on the computer tonight rather than my phone.

Hopefully I can get a new battery (charged up) and cable for next week to take a look at it properly.

Thanks for all the replies on this thread.

KuzzinKenny

Hey Goodwinsplace !! i got mine from this lot.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220786340723? ... 3D1&_rdc=1

quick and cheap !!  :D

KK

ps just spotted this, another option !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TIGER ... %26ps%3D63
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly