News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Won't start after a long journey

Started by Goodwinsplace, February 06, 2012, 07:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodwinsplace

Ive just done a ride from Cardiff to Brighton. Stopped twice on the way, once for fuel the other to stretch my legs.

Got to my hotel, checked in, got details for car park and bike wouldn't start!

It done a similar thing on me a few months back, left it a few hours and it started fine. Hopefully it will do the same to get me going tomorrow.

Any ideas? I'm planning a Spanish trip in a few months and don't want this at every stop.
My personal journey on two wheels: MotorbikeTest.info Blog

ChazzyB

A similar problem that foxed me for a bit was the prop stand cut-out switch plunger sticking.  :oops:
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Goodwinsplace

The side stand cutout?

Interesting, I did put the bike on its side stand whilst I checked in to the hotel.

It was an uneven ground as well, does it turn over but not start when he switch is engaged?

Mustang

side stand switch = if in gear will crank when clutch is pulled but not start

clutch switch bad = will do nothing until clutch  pulled in

and a bad relay for the safety circuit can cause both problems

kill switch on = nothing ..........no crank no start

bad wiring harness at key switch (common Girly problem)can cause same problem ........wiggle the wiring harness around where it comes out of switch

PeteH

Sidestand - up or down will start but if stuck in will cut out when gear engaged.

Could be a bad connection to your clutch switch, inside the plastic shroud(ask me how I know)

More info would be helpful....like what happens when you turn the ignition on, does the pump prime?

what happens when you thumb the starter, does the solenoid engage (click)?
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Goodwinsplace

Thanks for the replies, I got on the bike this morning, put the side stand up and started it up - running fine.

THEN, rode for about a mile, went down quite a steep slope into an underground car park and the engine light came on and the bike went up in the revs. It seemed to settle after a bit and have turned it off and left it for now.
Could this just be going down the slope and the engine being cold and oil levels?
Or could it be related to my starting issue yesterday?

Hopefully it will be fine for my 3.5 hour ride home later today

Chris Canning

The options above are viable but the first thing I'd do is open the fuel filler to make sure you don't have a vacum to make sure the breather isn't blocked.

Goodwinsplace

Brrrr that was cold.
Took me around 4 hours to get from Brighton to Cardiff, not bad seeing as the temp was in the negatives!

Anyway, my bike started no problem in Brighton. But had the engine warning light on, I assumed this could be due to me draining the battery the night before.
So jumped on and rode, all fine just the light on. Filled up for fuel in Reading - started fine eml still on. Put some more socks on and started the bike again, fine but with eml still on.
Rode home from Reading keeping speed between 50-70mph to be sure and with lots of work on the motorway.

Got back to the garage, left bike for half hour, started it again and still got eml. Could this be due to the low temps? The temp needle hardly moved the whole time I rode home.

I've done some searches and they mention doing 3 engine cycles (hot to cold) but not had the conditions to do this. Any other ideas?

Timbox2

Quote from: "Goodwinsplace"Brrrr that was cold.
Took me around 4 hours to get from Brighton to Cardiff, not bad seeing as the temp was in the negatives!

Anyway, my bike started no problem in Brighton. But had the engine warning light on, I assumed this could be due to me draining the battery the night before.
So jumped on and rode, all fine just the light on. Filled up for fuel in Reading - started fine eml still on. Put some more socks on and started the bike again, fine but with eml still on.
Rode home from Reading keeping speed between 50-70mph to be sure and with lots of work on the motorway.

Got back to the garage, left bike for half hour, started it again and still got eml. Could this be due to the low temps? The temp needle hardly moved the whole time I rode home.

I've done some searches and they mention doing 3 engine cycles (hot to cold) but not had the conditions to do this. Any other ideas?

The 3 cold/warm cycles will only put the light out if the problem isnt there anymore, the light first went on when you were riding so you may have a different issue. You really need tune ecu or similar to read the codes and see whats up, Tune ECU will also put the light out, but It will come back again if the issue is still there.
Where are you in South Wales? Ive got a Tune ECU cable if you want to borrow it, the programmes free to download, have you a Laptop?
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Goodwinsplace"Brrrr that was cold.

Your throwing spanners in works with things like the temp gauge,mine doesn't move much either unless it's a warm day.

I'd undo all the connections and spray with WD,useing abike at this time of year the shit(salt) will get into every nook and cranny,I even have to do it with my sprinter van.

How old is the battery,your a braver man than me,flat one day ride a distance another!!!,I've had a fair bit to do with batteries,if they've been flat in the end it'll come back to bite you in the backside,put a new one on,their cheap enough.

If that doesn't get the job done,get it into a dealer(Triumph),leaning how the bike ticks is great,but not in the middle of winter it ain't,I'd worry about extending your learning curve when it gets warmer.

Bixxer Bob

There speaks the Sage..... :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Goodwinsplace

Timbox2 : I just had a look on ebay at the cables, is there a certain type you would suggest?
I'm near Cardiff and work by Treforest, borrowing would be good, but I'm also happy to buy a cable as it could be handy for long term use. What software is used? - TuneECU I expect from searches.

Chris Canning : I agree, the temp gauge doesn't move much even on a good run in fair weather. I'm just giving as much info as possible.

Not sure on battery age, I've only had the bike a few months. Will be changing in the next few weeks to be sure.

I've done a fair few miles on this bike now, this ride was more motorway miles than improving any 'learning curve' but the weather was something that was more of a challenge than I anticipated.

Timbox2

Quote from: "Goodwinsplace"Timbox2 : I just had a look on ebay at the cables, is there a certain type you would suggest?
I'm near Cardiff and work by Treforest, borrowing would be good, but I'm also happy to buy a cable as it could be handy for long term use. What software is used? - TuneECU I expect from searches.

OK mate, yes Tune ECU, website tells you the spec of the cable, they even have a link to a UK website that sells them, but a bit pricey, I found mine on ebay for £5. Check out the sticky Tune ECU thread on this forum for all sorts of info.
PS: Dont get hung up on some of the stuff others have done, If your bike is generally running ok , LEAVE WELL ALONE, you have been warned :lol:
Im up near Blackwood.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Timbox2".....Dont get hung up on some of the stuff others have done, If your bike is generally running ok , LEAVE WELL ALONE......

Very very good advice, although not an option when you ride a sick bike to the dealer who does such a good job fixing it it has to be trailered home, eh Tim?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Goodwinsplace

Thanks guys. I've ordered a cable from a UK seller, Triumph spec. Cost £11 delivered but rather that than wait for china order.

I only want to take a look at error codes and diagnostics, if I ever need the mapping updated I will get wider experience on here or dealer.

I will take a look at that pinned thread, I've viewed some YouTube videos and looks pretty good stuff.