News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Won't start after a long journey

Started by Goodwinsplace, February 06, 2012, 07:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodwinsplace

DaveB: Cheers for the offer, I think I will go with a new one to be on the safe side, do you remember how much roughly?

I need to find out the part numbers, that's my mission for tonight.
My personal journey on two wheels: MotorbikeTest.info Blog

daveb

if you go to Fowlers Bristol you will need your VIN number this ensures the correct items for your bike.

cant remember off the top of my head at the mo, think £10 or so each, but i could be well of the mark. think it was only a few days delivery. Give me a shout if you want help

Cheers

Dave

Goodwinsplace

£10 each is fine for new, I was looking at this ebay auction:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/thermostat-ho ... 1e676f40b3

And this £120 part, PFKL1206288 THERMOSTAT HOUSING ASSY £121.79
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_m ... k_03=23772

Do I not need the whole thing?

metalguru

Getting ahead of myself a bit here, the other question I was going to ask was, when you start the engine does the rad warm up at the same rate the engine does, ie one hand on the engine and one hand on the radiator? If the answer is yes then definately stat is at fault, if rad stays cold for a while then suddenly warms then temp sensor parts #2 #4 are required, otherwise
you only need parts #3 #7 #11. Don't need the whole housing.
False economy to buy secondhand.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

daveb

Quote from: "Goodwinsplace"£10 each is fine for new, I was looking at this ebay auction:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/thermostat-ho ... 1e676f40b3

And this £120 part, PFKL1206288 THERMOSTAT HOUSING ASSY £121.79
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_m ... k_03=23772

Do I not need the whole thing?

you can just buy a thermostat, is the housing broken?

Goodwinsplace

Daveb - I don't think so, I'm going by problem solving on here and suggestions to find its faulty in the first place.
I think it is right as I had a fault back last year when rode for a hour or so where it over heated and wouldn't start. All rides since have been in much cooler temperatures and possibly in shorter bursts.

Quote from: "metalguru"Getting ahead of myself a bit here, the other question I was going to ask was, when you start the engine does the rad warm up at the same rate the engine does, ie one hand on the engine and one hand on the radiator? If the answer is yes then definately stat is at fault, if rad stays cold for a while then suddenly warms then temp sensor parts #2 #4 are required, otherwise

Ummm. I will take a look on the weekend when I can next get to the bike.

How long can I run the bike for if it's got a faulty stat? Can I take it for a ride to see if the problems with the throttle have gone?

metalguru

Overheating????????
Was the fault fixed? Did the fan not cut in? Any coolant in it?

The combination of the ecu not receiving the correct engine temp through either the stat or the temp sensor being faulty may not cure the revs problem.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Goodwinsplace

Sorry I say over heating but don't know the exact cause, this was back in November and the temp gauge was fine at the time it wouldn't start, just assumed overheating as it was a long ride and stuck in crawling traffic at Wales Rally GB car park when it happened. it was a freakishly warm November day!

It started up fine for ride home that day so assumed it was a temp issue and it had time to cool.

Coolant is and was at good level. And I have used the bike possibly 10 times since.

Bixxer Bob

We seem to be  mixing issues here. Current prob is it takes ages to heat up. Doing MGs test of feeling the engine case and rad will reveal where that prob lies.  Either way, taking it for a run isn't going to prove anything until you fix the 'stat.

The earlier 'overheating' needs more info.  Like how do you know it overheated?

And I'm not sure I follow the overfuelling explanation MG, if the temp sensor reads cold because the engine is cold because of the faulty stat it'll still fuel correctly for the temp it senses.  If, however the water temp sensor was u/s they I'd say you were right.

Standing by ... :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Goodwinsplace

Ok - I think I needed to reword that post where I mentioned 'Over heating' this problem happened once on a ride in warm weather, I was new to the bike and it could have been anything relating to my crawling in muddy tracks for 20+ minutes. The actual fault could have been a number of things, I just assumed over heating - sorry for startling anyone. I have used the bike on several big rides since that day.

My concentration is on resolving this issue. I will hopefully go upto the bike tomorrow night (Thursday) so will do the radiator test then and report back.

metalguru

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"And I'm not sure I follow the overfuelling explanation MG, if the temp sensor reads cold because the engine is cold because of the faulty stat it'll still fuel correctly for the temp it senses.  If, however the water temp sensor was u/s they I'd say you were right.

Standing by ... :lol:

Really must try to fix bikes when not half asleep.

Just testing you are paying attention there BB!!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

thank God for that, thought I was losing it for a minute :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Goodwinsplace

Quote from: "metalguru"Getting ahead of myself a bit here, the other question I was going to ask was, when you start the engine does the rad warm up at the same rate the engine does, ie one hand on the engine and one hand on the radiator? If the answer is yes then definately stat is at fault, if rad stays cold for a while then suddenly warms then temp sensor parts #2 #4 are required, otherwise

Just done the test the left hand side of the bike warmed at the same rate as the left hand side of the radiator, the right hand side of the radiator was still pretty cool.
Only ran it for a minute or two to get up to temperature to notice a difference.

Therefore I assume I need parts #3, 7, 11?

Goodwinsplace

I've just ordered these parts, came to £50 in total from Bevan (Triumph dealer) in Cardiff. Will pickup Tuesday, then have to find some time to fit!

please don't tell me that these weren't the correct parts based on my description above, they are going in the bike anyway!

metalguru

Quote from: "Goodwinsplace"I've just ordered these parts, came to £50 in total from Bevan (Triumph dealer) in Cardiff. Will pickup Tuesday, then have to find some time to fit!

please don't tell me that these weren't the correct parts based on my description above, they are going in the bike anyway!

Thats the ticket, Load up some screen shots when fitted.

Don't forget the anti-freeze and system flush.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers