News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Won't start after a long journey

Started by Goodwinsplace, February 06, 2012, 07:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

Quote from: "metalguru"Bought one of these a few years ago for my Adventurer, and it does what it says on the tin.......exactly. Never had any problems with it and for a bike that is only ridden in the nice weather, it has started every time, even if left for weeks without a trickle charge.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-POWER-MO ... 53eb272628

Or to be model specific...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MotoBatt-Quad ... 2316f01ffe

Not one to rub it in.......BUT, did a bit of re-arranging in the w'shop today and was wondering if the Adventurer would start, it has not been on charge since I last used it in October last year. Turned the key and prodded the go button, made me jump when the engine near on threw itself out the frame on the starter and of course fired up straight away.

Well impressed by these batteries.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Goodwinsplace

HELP! As I have a hectic weekend with my daughters birthday I wanted to get this into a garage and get the thermostat changed over, I booked it into someone I know who does a bit of bike servicing for today.

Got to my garage where the bike is kept, started the bike first touch of the button, rode it about a mile (if that) and got engine light, high revs and then it died on me as I rode another 100 meters. I pulled over and could smell oil again.

I've managed to get it back to my garage, not had a chance to hook it up to TuneECU, will try and get up there as soon as possible.

Any suggestions? I assume this is not related to the Thermostat?
My personal journey on two wheels: MotorbikeTest.info Blog

Bixxer Bob

If you've got a mil light,2 mins with .TuneECU will tell you what the prob is.  It could just be a sensor plug come loose.  If it started straight away, your battery is probably ok, but I'd check the condition of the two plugs on the ECU and the ECU itself for water damage. This is the easy stuff before pulling the tank off to delve deeper.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Goodwinsplace

Thanks, I will get a TuneECU reading in the next day or two.

Battery is brand new and starting bike straight away.

The ECU was in good condition when I checked last week, the previous owner had even used conductive paste on the cable connection to preserve.

Has anyone had a similar bike dying and oil smell before, just looking for possible heads up and reading before I can get back to the bike.

metalguru

From what I can see, the TPS and IACV have not been touched since the last screen shot.
Would be a great benefit to you getting these two resets carried out asap before your next outing to the stealer, as you may have more sucess.
Once pc is plugged in it literally takes 2mins to do.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Goodwinsplace

Quote from: "metalguru"From what I can see, the TPS and IACV have not been touched since the last screen shot.
Would be a great benefit to you getting these two resets carried out asap before your next outing to the stealer, as you may have more sucess.
Once pc is plugged in it literally takes 2mins to do.

Is there any mechanical adjustments that I need to make prior to resetting these? I read somewhere about measuring the gap or is that something different?

metalguru

Its all in the thread so far, just plug in pc, (fully charged battery on bike and mains supply to lappy) and reset TPS (high value on screenshot) and TPS to cleanout oprating surfaces
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Goodwinsplace

Hi All, I'm back!

I have just been up the garage, reset TPS and set IACV to 0 (from -11).
I cleared the Error code, I assume due to not changing the stat as yet, and gave it a quick run.

Took her about the same distance (1 mile max) as the other day and she felt a lot more responsive, no raised revs and didn't die out on me like the last short run. I did only take it for a short blast as I'm without an MOT as of now and didn't want to be pushing it back if I went to far and had it die on me again.

I reset the error codes before the ride and the light with the same error code was back within the ride, 1 mile maximum hopefully this will go away with the new stat installed.

I had a quick look at ECU, have some photo's on my phone and it all looked dry and no visible water damage as suggested to check for.

New slides here, I forgot to resize before upload but you can see the main details: http://www.slideshare.net/goodwinsplace ... march-2012

I'm going back up the garage on Thursday evening, I'm tempted to take it for a longer ride just a few miles to make sure the fault doesn't return, with my mate riding with me incase it dies out again. Not to far though until I can get stat and MOT sorted. Anything else I need to check?

Bixxer Bob

When you say the codes were back, what were they?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Adjust IACV to about -8 at least.
IDLE SPEED CONTROL button is the one to reset
TPS is good now.
LONG TERM FUEL TRIM is on the high side but ok.
Notice he battery voltage is low, have you got the headlamps on during connection to pc? They should be off or fuse removed for duration of any test/mapping, ecu doesn't like low voltage.
Keep us updated.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Goodwinsplace

Sorry for such a long time in replying.
Here is an update, the thermostat, coolant change and Tune ECU adjustments made a huge difference, the bike runs great.

I put the bike in for MOT, taking it to the Triumph dealer in Cardiff (BIG mistake), £500 later I'm on the road.
I took her out for a long weekend tour last week, 600 miles running sweet. It's burning oil but from the threads I have read this is fairly common on some Tigers.

I'm pretty much set now for going away beginning of May down through Europe and into Spain. I will create another thread in the correct area to show our route and countries we will hit.

Just want to say a big thank you to all that offered advice on this thread.

metalguru

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

How'd the stealer justify 500 notes then?