News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coil/plug contact and copper grease

Started by 97tiger885, June 06, 2012, 07:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

On the way to the Bennington Bash Wednesday, the 885 died 2 miles from home.  (I am taking that as good road karma.)  Anyway, I finally managed to get it started, keep it running under load and limp home. I eventually traced it to a coil issue.  The number 3 plug was not firing at all.  (The mc idles fine on two cylinders but it  struggles to move especially under any kind of load.)  I remember the shop mechanic telling me a while back he had put grease in one of the caps because it was loose fitting on the plug.  I cleaned out the grease, cleaned the contacts on the the other coils and the mc is running fine.  

Finally, my question...I am guessing he used dielectric grease in the cap.  The cap seems fine to me.  If I need to use grease to maintain proper contact, what kind of grease should I use?  Can I use a conducting grease instead?  Any other method I can use to maintain contact between the lead and the plug?

Mustang

Quote from: "97tiger885"Any other method I can use to maintain contact between the lead and the plug?
yep get a new set of leads is the only thing thats gonna truly fix it

you will always have a misfire , even if its only slight due to an ill fitting cap

what happens is the little spring clip in the cap that grabs the threaded post on the plug breaks off and then you get intermittent contact

Been there done that

Ebay has some pretty good deals on Nology Hotwires plug leads
they are better than OEM and about half the price
I got a set on tigger 2 they work great

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nology-HotWires ... d9&vxp=mtr

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "97tiger885"Any other method I can use to maintain contact between the lead and the plug?

Ebay has some pretty good deals on Nology Hotwires plug leads
they are better than OEM and about half the price
I got a set on tigger 2 they work great

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nology-HotWires ... d9&vxp=mtr

Nology Hotwire plug leads?  Are the leads separate from the coils?  I assumed it was a one piece assembly - coil and leads.  So I can buy just the leads and plug them into the coils?  If so, how do the leads separate from coils?  Do they just pull out?

The item for sale of EBay...is the $89 the price for a set of three leads or  the price for one lead?  I am hoping three of differing length.

Mustang

yes the leads come off the coils .

The ebay link is for a set of three ..............they work very well on the tigger .

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"yes the leads come off the coils .

The ebay link is for a set of three ..............they work very well on the tigger .

Excellent.  Thanks for the help.  I will order a set as soon as my money transfers into my paypal acct.

Mustang

the fancy ground straps that are on the nology hotwires ......I just screwed em down with the bolt from the plastic heat sheild that attaches to the frame works great