News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Interesting symptom - warm/hot start

Started by FoothillRyder, August 01, 2012, 06:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoothillRyder

I've not done all the 'data collection' for this; but will do more over this coming weekend. What I've observed is this:

- Bike starts with little/no choke (we're having a warm spell, so this is not alarming) when cold, idles fine, runs fine.

- Bike runs very well under all conditions I've subjected it to.

- Bike must be cranked a LOT to restart after a thorough warmup and shutdown. By this I mean several 'hits' of the starter and MANY engine revolutions before she fires.

Here's where I'm still 'iffy' on the symptom; but here's what I think I've observed:

- The fuel level in the tank APPEARS to have an affect on the hot start. When the tank is more than half-full, it seems to make this symptom worse. When the tank is nearer to empty, the problem may go away.

and NO, venting the tank (opening the filler) doesn't seem to have an affect.

Fuel mileage seems very normal, went nearly 200 miles without needing reserve on a mix of highway and secondary roads.

Any thoughts are welcomed, and thanks!  8)
- FoothillRyder

'97 Trophy 3, '98 Tiger, '96 Sprint
AMA 289558, COP# 0001, BIR# 47
www.foothillryder.com

PompeyLad

Do you mean nearly 200 miles until needing reserve or are you talking about the fuel warning light coming on?

FoothillRyder

Quote from: "PompeyLad"Do you mean nearly 200 miles until needing reserve or are you talking about the fuel warning light coming on?

I mean 200 miles before needing reserve. Fuel light comes on at about 150.
- FoothillRyder

www.foothillryder.com

Mustang

check the jets 1st time you have the carbs out , someone could have 'played'

FoothillRyder

Quote from: "Mustang"check the jets 1st time you have the carbs out , someone could have 'played'

That makes some sense, although would this not be more likely a pilot screw setting? My first observation was that the bike starts instantly, with no choke at all, when it is 'cold' (morning temps are in the low 70's F). I guess it's possible that the pilot jets are larger than 'normal'; but if the plugs are out of the pilot screws I think that's the first place to start, yes?
- FoothillRyder

www.foothillryder.com

PompeyLad

If it helps, As Mustangs says "someone might have played" When I got my tiger it would start with almost no choke and was harder to start when warm but not too bad. The PO had installed 134 mains in #1 & 3 and 132 in #2. All so he could run with both snorkels open. Rejetted to 108's and I now get the more normal 180 miles to the light and passed 230 before filling up with no need for reserve. This all with Mikuni's by the way. Don't really feel any difference in power delivery either.

JetdocX

When you have the carbs off, consider replacing the float valves.  If they are leaking even the tiniest bit, you'll flood the engine.
From parts unknown.

FoothillRyder

Just spent four days out on the Tiger, roughly 900 miles total. Rode across the heat of the San Joaquin valley (upper 90's) to the coast (mid-70's in the afternoon, low 50's in the morning). Here are my observations:

- Down nearer to sea level (I live at 3100') she had less of an issue, even in the heat.

- At the coast she never had any issue, and even needed a bit of choke in the morning.

- Got back to the heat earlier today, and a bit of the symptom reappeared.

Gotta be jets, and no, the engine isn't being flooded by stuck floats. Carbs were checked out and synched by a dealer just before I got the bike.

Thanks for the inputs. Looks like I have some work to add to the list.  8)
- FoothillRyder

www.foothillryder.com

BruKen

I'd go with jetting to big for your altitude / worn / non standard. Sounds classically rich to me.