News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger won't hunt...

Started by JoeDirt, September 24, 2012, 01:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeDirt

My 2001 Tigers rings are bad. I am looking at used engine and thought I could use a 2002 Daytona Engine with my 2001 Tiger valves and throttle botties.

Was looking at this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170905304309?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Price is cheaper than rings, bearing and gaskets combined from BikeBandit.com

The head is differnent than mine, it has the small stick coils. But, I think the crank and transmission are the same. Minus the paint  :eusa_dance

I know you guys have oppinions on this... let me know.

metalguru

Looks ok the gearshift is by linkage so when fitted to the Tiger will be reversed GP shift. Good when you get used to it.
Will be a mix and match for the injectors, may need to make up some blanks, or tap a thread and seal with screws.
Change the cam cover for the Tiger.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

JoeDirt

Quote from: metalguru on September 24, 2012, 03:05:42 PM
Will be a mix and match for the injectors, may need to make up some blanks, or tap a thread and seal with screws.
Change the cam cover for the Tiger.
I plan on using my current head, throttle bodies and injectors... I am really concerned about my 2001 Tiger head fitting a 2002 Gearbox.

Beat this one to death guys... I hate spending money.

metalguru

If you have money to burn then use your head etc, as new gaskets are required at great expense from Triumph.
If you use Daytona head you need to blank the injector 'holes' in the head by cutting a thread and fitting suitable blanks, cheaper by far and less work.

Gearbox main components are similar except for reversed shift, can change it over to the Tiger internals but costs a fortune in gaskets...don't ask.

As far as engine cases go only the later girlies had the 1050 cases.

Just sayin
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Mustang

I don't see how you figure it's cheaper to use a ebay daytona motor than to do a RING job on yours

the liners are probably fine on your motor and a ring set is 85 bucks , you dont need the entire gasket set , in fact you can get away with only replacing the head gasket for around 70 bucks and a tube of hylomar under 30 bucks .

you can do a ring job for under 200 bucks

that ebay motor that you know nothing about is going to cost 700 plus 260 shipping  and you will still need to buy head gasket and tube of hylomar to swap your head onto it .
you don't need bearings to do a ring job as the liners come out and access to the pistons and rings is easy without having to even open the bottom end .

less than 200 bucks to fix yours vs. over a thousand for the ebay motor when all's said and done , you tell me which is the better route to take .................

JoeDirt

Quote from: Mustang on September 24, 2012, 09:01:21 PMyou can do a ring job for under 200 bucks

Mustang, do you replace the crank and connecting bearings when you do a ring job?

Mustang

nope not unless they are bad .............

JoeDirt

That's good to know... I figured being that deep you would just do bearings too.

Thanks Mustang!  :notworthy

metalguru

Just out of interest.......

These engines seldom suffer from ring wear and was wondering what the origin was for diagonosing ring wear?

Could just save abucket load of work and expense......... :thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

deepsouthtiger

Joe Dirt, I too am curious as to what brought you to the diagnosis of bad rings?
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

JoeDirt

Burns oil...
Runs rough...
Used compression gauge... 120psi on #1, 150psi on #2 and 150psi #3
I put a squirt of oil in cylinder and got 210psi on all cylinders.

I ran the bike with oil in cylinders and it was the best it has ran in a while.

I replaced battery, plugs, coils, regulator, stator, shimmed valves and replaced TPS sensor in the attempt of tracking down rough running... i finally got a compression gauge and did test above.

deepsouthtiger

Thanks for the info. Looks like i may need to do same.  Mine to burns oil, idles rough, and the oil has a  fuel smell.  :BangHead
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

roll_it_on

Out of curiosity what kind of mileage do you guys have on your bikes that are suffering from oil burning and low compression?

zombie2

I did the Rings on mine.
Thread somewhere around.
The reason some bikes burn oil is that the
girlies are sensitive to having the oil checked regulalry.
I ran mine at high speeds on an extremely hot day
and neglected to check the oil and ran it low.
Easy enough job and not very expensive.
Just time consuming and don't put the
camshafts in backwards :violent1
I also have the tube of hylomar if you need it.

JoeDirt

Quote from: zombie2 on September 26, 2012, 10:04:35 PM
I also have the tube of hylomar if you need it.

Thanks for the offer Zombie... I bought a tube off eBay. :pottytrain2

I have my 995i on my work bench pictured below.

After viewing your picture it looks like you did everything from the top of the motor. Also, after reading this post on Steamers led me to the same conclusion at:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5924

JetDocX went in through the top of his Steamer only as well. The Triumph service manual and Haines book would have you take the motor completly apart.

Also, do I need that fancy $200 BikeBandit sleeve puller or can i just use a steering wheel puller?