News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Introducing the Dutch Queen

Started by Dutch, March 23, 2013, 05:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NKL

I thought it was 6 litres left when the light comes on.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

blacktiger

Quote from: NKL on May 13, 2013, 10:23:42 PM
I thought it was 6 litres left when the light comes on.

Yes, my mistake. I've got 800XC in my head. Yes 6 litres left on the 955i. i.e. 18 litres used.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Dutch

Never saw a low fuel light, but most I could top up was about 17.5 litre iirc.

Yesterday the postman came by with a nice parcel:

blacktiger

Quote from: Dutch on May 18, 2013, 04:26:22 PM
Never saw a low fuel light, but most I could top up was about 17.5 litre iirc.

Yesterday the postman came by with a nice parcel:

Mine and others I know are pretty consistent with the low fuel light coming on after 18 litres have been used.

That shock is nice. Dare I ask how much??€€€

Dutch

You may ask, but better be seated properly before continuing  :hat10

Wilbers has 4 types of shocks:
a) emulsion shock with only preload adjustable. Available for steamer, not younger Tigers
b) emulsion shock with preload and rebound damping adjustable
c) oil and gas separated, remote reservoir on hose (this one), preload, rebound and compression high and low speed adjustable
d) like c but with piggyback reservoir.

e) option: hydraulic preload (like this one, the red knob)
f) option: adjustable length (not available for cast wheel Girly)

The emulsion shock b) is a really good one for most circumstances. If you alternate between riding alone and with pillon e) is a really good option. If you put higher demands on suspension you choose c) or d). Specially if the shock has to work really hard (unpaved or off-road use) d) is better then c)

List prices including 21% Dutch VAT:
a) € 406
b) € 507
c) € 711
d) € 812
e) € 219
f) € 101

Some of these prices are not strategical as we used to have 19% VAT up to half a year ago. Motorbazaar.nl clients pay less and being a Wilbers dealer I paid less than that. Which I more than spent on the options I'm afraid  :icon_rolleyes:

Within EU VAT applies, current exchange rate GBP/EU is .85, so this shock has a list price of € 930 = 787 pound
For prices ex sales tax and in USD please work that calculator. Or sent pm  :icon_wink:

I spent last weekend in Germany in the Eifel region. Beautifull, but some of the roads aren't that smooth. The 40k M oem shock did ok, but I'm convinced this one will do a lot better. I have experienced the difference a quality aftermarket shock makes before so can't wait to give this one a good test ride 

blacktiger

Thanks. A lot of money to spend on an old bike.

Dutch

Personally I think a bike of 8 years 'old' is quite a young bike   :icon_wink: 
If you go early nineties or late eigthies that might be a different story. You know, all of the bike including technology is 20-25 year old but the bike is nowhere near classic. And most of them will never be.

As for the Girly, yes, I wouldn't mind a 1200 Tiger Explorer. But the investment in that is more than in Girly + shock. Not to mention depreciation. Pretty sure the Girly is a bit more modest than an Explorer of even a Roadie 2-3 years old.

And third, even with this shock this Dutch Queen is still cheaper than most cast wheel Girlies I've seen for sale in NL. Thanks to it "high" milage. But others have 25-30 K on them as well, so that build-on-a-budget OEM shock is not going to be perfect either.

Everyone is free to do as they please. For me, I don't mind a few scratches or a couple of miles more. As long as the price is right so I can invest in some proper technical updates. Others go for a low milage minter and accept 'reasonable' in e.g. the suspension department. An some buy the latest with the newest gadgets. Bless them, because that way there are bikes for us cheapskates to pick up in 5-10 years time  :icon_wink:

Cheers, Dutch

blacktiger

Quote from: Dutch on May 19, 2013, 01:29:04 PM
Personally I think a bike of 8 years 'old' is quite a young bike   :icon_wink: 

I was thinking about mine which is 11 years old with 68000 miles on it. The cost of that shock is about half the value of the whole bike.

Dutch

True, but it will double the fun. And is still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a roadie or R1200 GS.
On the other hand, do you buy the best tires for a new bike and only the cheapest Sjingsjong for an older bike?
Do you wear a 5 quid helmet 'cause the bike is older?

In your case I'd probably go for good quality emulsion shock, that would be the 430 pound price range. Wilbers, Hyperpro or any other reputable brand. I've read some are not without reservation against Hagon, but I've sold quite a few with complete satisfaction. I'll bet you a pint or 2 that you're convinced the investment was a good one within a few miles.

blacktiger

Quote from: Dutch on May 19, 2013, 02:01:34 PM
True, but it will double the fun. And is still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a roadie or R1200 GS.
On the other hand, do you buy the best tires for a new bike and only the cheapest Sjingsjong for an older bike?
Do you wear a 5 quid helmet 'cause the bike is older?

In your case I'd probably go for good quality emulsion shock, that would be the 430 pound price range. Wilbers, Hyperpro or any other reputable brand. I've read some are not without reservation against Hagon, but I've sold quite a few with complete satisfaction. I'll bet you a pint or 2 that you're convinced the investment was a good one within a few miles.

I see you're trying to sell me one.  :icon_wink: I had my OE shock rebuilt a short while ago and it works pretty well again. So the fun is there and the bike's not holding me back and no-one accuses me of being too slow. Tyres are a different thing as they're the contact with the road. I've just ordered a set of Dunlop Roadsmart2 to replace Distanzias. What happens in the future, who knows?

Dutch

I had a big get-off 20 years ago. Only have to look at my left hand to be reminded again. In retrospective poor suspension was the main culprit. I don't mind selling a can, but I love selling a shock. Because I know a good shock really makes any bike better. Much more than a few grams less and a few dB and bhp more can do ;)

Not to forget: most aftermarket shocks can be serviced. So I can do with the OE and buy a replacement in 10-20K. Of shell out now, have the benifits now and if neccessary have it serviced in 20K to have it as-good-as-new again.

Well, weather is fine today, won't be rest of the week so I'm off for a little spin  :icon_salut:

Dutch

UPDATE  UPDATE  UPDATE   but no pictures  :icon_rolleyes:

A) Screen
I came in contact with a guy that had both an original and a higher screen for sale. The latter has a Triumph and a National Cycle logo on it and is about 8 cm (3") higher than the oem. Short test ride with windy weather: still turbulance. One of these days the saw is going into one of the oem's cutting it down piece by piece 'till I like it  :icon_evil:

B) Shock absorber
Yesterday finally got started on mounting that beautiful Wilbers shock. After reading the how to several times. So got a idea how to approach the project. It's definatly more work than with the FZ 750, despite the center stand. Already the first thing is twice as much work with the Tiger! FZ has a one-piece seat  :icon_wink:

Good thing: the bottom had been worked on not too long ago, no corrosion, so a few ferm blows with a big hammer had it out quickly. Despite the tip of edging the bracket between coils and turning I couldn't get the shock out that way, so lowered the undertray. And most will know you have to break down half the bike to get to that naggin screw at the back  :icon_frown:

So that's how the bike looks now, like a war victim or object of a full nut and bolt restauration  :icon_eek:
Pictures will follow. Probably. Hopefully. Maybe....

The Wilbers is in place, had the lower pin in, could not get the retaining bolt in, so got it out again. Turned out I might have hit it a bit hard with a not perfect driver  :icon_frown:  Filled it out a bit, so bolt could go through again. Got frustrated so stopped for today. The pin is in the wife's freezer (hope she don't find it), maybe the cold will shrink it just enough to go in ever so slightly easier   :qgaraduate

Keep you updated later..

Cheers, Dutch

Bixxer Bob

Not quite so eye-wateringly painful, but still beyond my reach:

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/wilbers-641-monoshock-with-remote-reservoir-641-762-00-7676-p.asp

I am waiting for a Hagon coming with 10mm lowering....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dutch

Quite a regular price for a 641 without hydraulic preload. If you ride with various loads and have to choose between remote reservoir and preload adjuster the 640 with hp is preferable above the 641 without. I couldn't choose  :icon_mrgreen:

Stitch

Man o' Man is that a nice set-up Dutch. I too am budgeting for the Wilbers unit similiar as you acquired but without the piggy back reservoir.  Cost per mile fun is well worth it!
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955