News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Introducing the Dutch Queen

Started by Dutch, March 23, 2013, 05:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch

Have done some trips with the Wilbers shock and it's marvellous. Maybe I'll fettle a bit with the settings to see if I get get it even better than it already is.

Also had the high screen on for a few rides. Don't like it, still get the turbulence on my helmet. So I cut 6 cm off one of the oem screens. It's now right between oem and no screen. I have a ride this evening so we'll see.

Cheers, Dutch

Marc

Quote from: Dutch on June 20, 2013, 02:45:24 PM
I have a ride this evening so we'll see.

If possible show us a pic Dutch  :thumbsup
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Dutch

This is the oem screen with 6 cm cut of:

Buffeting is a lot less, a fair bit of noise is still there but the jolts to the helmet have gone so less tiresome. Might go another -2 cm, maybe round off the corners a bit more. Or even keep the middle and only round off the corners. Because I think (a fully equipped wind tunnel would be nice now) the corners create the most turbulence and lowering those will get the helmet just above the worst turbulant air.

Sin_Tiger

If you're really up for some experimentation, you might consider cutting away the lower edge to get more air flow up the inside of the screen.  Fitted the Palmer screen adjuster which for the most part does just that and made a big difference on the Roadie.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

coachgeo

Quote from: Dutch on June 27, 2013, 08:57:07 AM
.... I think (a fully equipped wind tunnel would be nice now) the corners create the most turbulence and lowering those will get the helmet just above the worst turbulant air.
Some Duct Taped string to the shield that Almost reach your face? and a friend following taking video from front and side might suffice as a wind tunnel test.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Dutch

Sounds like an idea  :sign13   Now let's see where I can get that friend ......    :hat10

Black Pearl

photo of my 'california creation'.....  :icon_mrgreen:

i am no fan of buffeting and i don't like wind noise so i went in search of options to cut down on both.... ultimately i created the smallest screen i could and this has worked out the best for me.... i am 5' 9" w/32" inseam.... wind hits me in the chest but well below the helmet.... this was cheap and easy to fabricate with leftover scrap from the bin at tap plastics... the bottom of the screen could go a little lower to cover the front fairing attachment screws, but the top is cut down to the lowest it will go while following the contours of the front fairing.... i think this is about as close as you can get to a naked bike ride - which has the cleanest air imho -  on the tiger

2006 Tiger

Dutch

Cut another 3 cm (now 9 in total) of the OEM screen and went on a longer ride day before yesterday. There is still buffeting on the low(est) part of the helmet which makes riding a full day more tiresome than it should be. And I have planned trip through Poland and the Baltic Countries in a good week time...

Today I taped some string to the screen as suggested by coachgeo. As expected the air is reasonably turbulent and the strings blew straigt back. Completely horizontal so to say.

Then I remembered I had put some cloth below the screen at the last stop day before yesterday, just to see if closing the gap between screen and fairing would make a difference. I hadn't really noticed then, but a the time I did my head was already shaken more then enough. So I removed that cloth and see, the strings went up before going backwards!!  Making a nice curve, so that gap certainly has an effect !

I am going to cut of another 2-3 cm, ending up with rather low one like Black Pearl shows above. Hope we don't get that much rain though  :hat10   Might put a sponge in the gap between screen and fairing. That's also easy to remove to see the differences with the gap open or closed.

Marc

Just installed a MRA spoiler on my Cee Bailey screen.  Works very good 'for me', no buffeting anymore and good protection  :thumbsup

previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Dutch

Just went on tour when you posted your reply. By the looks of it we must be able to tell our Tigers apart, despite the same colour  :hat10

Dutch

Some useless information: just updated my facebook profile with this photo:

Not sure if this one is Lithuania or Latvia

By the way screen: I put a sponge in the gap to close it (almost) off. Did take it out, but buffeting is more without sponge (gap open) than with (no air between fairing and screen) so it went back in again  :hat10

Marc

hmm, in that case I prefer my MRA-sponge  :icon_razz:
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Advwannabe

I have the Palmer products bracket and their large screen on mine. I didn't like the way the screen wobbled at speed so I made up some stays out of annealed copper tubing to settle it down a bit. The theory is that if I have an accident and go through the screen the tubes will tear and reduce the resistance/injuries.

As far as the buffeting noise is concerned I'm very happy with this set up after trying all sorts of other options

Edit: I also tried cutting down the screen and even ran with no screen for a while. This is better.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Dutch

Hello Tiger fans,

Haven't been on this board for a while but rest assured, the Tiger is still in it's cage  :hat10  Even gets out every now and then, though must admit I haven't done a lot of km's this year so far.  :icon_redface:   Hopefully a trip planned next month will ad a few km's.

@the moderators: I have some technical questions, would you like me to make a new topic or continue in this one?

Cheers, Dutch

Mustang

new topic ...............not that any one stays on topic anyway  :icon_rolleyes: