News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer needing new engine or repair

Started by engine22, January 15, 2014, 10:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

did it sound like this ? cam chain tensioner was my problem. made a quick temp repair that lasted 3 years by drillin out the nut at the end of the tensioner and threading it for i think an m10 bolt. was a long bolt and had to grind down the end to fit in the tensioner blade but it worked as you can see

reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

engine22

Ok guys thought I would give you an update. The new camchain tensioner came in today and I popped it in and could immediately tell it was different than my apparently non functioning one. I reset the timing marks, put the new  tensioner in, sprayed some starter fluid in and boom! Fired right up! Sure enough like many of you guys said, the CCT was the problem! Thank you guys for all of the help. I will piece it all back together tomorrow and take her for a spin and give another update.

I could not have done it without all of your help. Just look at my earlier posts. I was about to buy a new engine when all I needed was a $40 camchain tensioner!

Thank you so much guys! More updates to follow!

aeronca

Congrats on getting it up and running. :eusa_clap By the way, that bike wouldnt happen to be black would it?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

engine22

As a matter of fact it is black. I'll get a picture and a video of it up and running posted here in a little bit. And it is just my lucky day because we are having an extremely weird spell of 50 degree weather here in Durango, CO.  :wheel

I could not be happier!

rybes

engine22

Rybes I had the exact same reaction as you did in that second video when the bike started. Great feeling

engine22

Here is a video of the bike alive and well. Just went for a ride on it and its running perfectly!

engine22

One more quick question for you guys. I broke the little terminal for the plug that plugs the yellow wire into the engine on the top left end of the valve head cover. This is the only electrical plugin up there. What does this go to? Is it the engine temp guage?

GavD

Yeah, it just runs the gauge, your fan works off another sensor.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

rybes

Quote from: engine22 on January 25, 2014, 05:46:28 PM
Rybes I had the exact same reaction as you did in that second video when the bike started. Great feeling

:eusa_clap  :thumbsup its the best feelin aint it  :wheel

Bixxer Bob

Glad it was a simple fix.  Always best to try the easy stuff first, and good of Mr Bloor's men to design an engine that doesn't grenade itself if something as simple as a CCT fails!!  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

threepot

Good fix :thumbsup Came across this recently http://www.aperaceparts.com/tech/tensioners.html
Seems that the tensioner on most bikes can fail on repeated HEAVY De-acceleration,back of cam-chain loads up the tensioner? Owners of race bikes fit the manual one to prevent this. Might be a bit extreme for normal riding,but as Mustang stated,fitting a new spring,which  are available on ebay,would be worth doing anyway? (Spring length should be 73.7mm)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cam-Chain-Tensioner-Spring-Kit-Triumph-Daytona-Trophy-Sprint-Tiger-Trident-/290798758594?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item43b4f4eac2
95 Super111
96 Tiger

engine22

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 27, 2014, 12:35:11 PM
Glad it was a simple fix.  Always best to try the easy stuff first, and good of Mr Bloor's men to design an engine that doesn't grenade itself if something as simple as a CCT fails!!  :thumbsup

You are right about that BixxerBob! I can't believe I am riding around the motorcycle I have always wanted and I'm only out $690! Thanks to all of you guys who helped me with tons of great info. I would not have been able to figure it out without all of your knowledge  :bowdown

Interesting point about the CCT. A new spring would be a very good idea. A small investment for a little piece of mind.

Now that I have the bike running I have found that the speedometer doesn't work. I'm guessing it may just be a broken cable, but do you guys know if there are any common speedometer issues with this bike? Other than that its running like a top!

Sin_Tiger

That's what I call a result  :hello2

Hondas of the early 2000's are well known for the same, particularly the Varadero and Firestorm V twins.

Other than the cable, the drive from the front hub is the other likely suspect, as luck would have it the next most recent thread may provide the help you need.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint