News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Can Mustang figure this out...

Started by JayDub, March 15, 2015, 08:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on March 18, 2015, 09:59:32 PM
I gave away a dozen shims from my old GS750 last year  :icon_cry:

Hmmmmm. The old GS750 is sitting in the back room collecting dust. Maybe I should pilfer all the shims out of it (I have the Suzuki tool) for potential future Steamer adjustments.  :icon_wink: :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

motoOzarks

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 18, 2015, 10:52:38 PM
Do you want to borrow my Mustang tool, you can pass it back to me later?

That just sounds wrong
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

ram33

i went to my triumph dealer to get a couple of shims when i did mine and he just went to the workshop to get them and gave them to me free  :icon_biggrin:
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Erm... that's between Sin and me motoOzarks  :bad  :icon_biggrin:
Thanks Niall, your generosity knows no bounds, were you intending to post it then I would post it back?
I will just do the 2 IN and 2 EX I think.  I'm impatient so I'll pop the cams out and just see what's already in there, then I can put it back together untill I get some shims then maybe use the tool to install them - the weather is just too good atm  :wheel

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on March 19, 2015, 11:52:45 AM
I will just do the 2 IN and 2 EX I think.  I'm impatient so I'll pop the cams out and just see what's already in there, then I can put it back together untill I get some shims then maybe use the tool to install them - the weather is just too good atm

Tell us how it went. Never having had to change shims before I'm interested to hear about another wrenchers experience.

GavD

:iagree

If you get a chance to post some pics too, that'd be great. I'm thinking of having a camchain/shims learning experience next winter.
The shim clearances are all within tolerance at the mo, but I'm starting to think that my camchain may be a bit rattly. I'll have to listen to a few other steamers when we meet in July.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Mustang

its pretty straight forward..............

Mustang

take note of where and which way the cam caps go ............IT MATTERS !

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on March 19, 2015, 04:32:14 PM
Tell us how it went. Never having had to change shims before I'm interested to hear about another wrenchers experience.
Its not really advisable to do it the way I did, especially if you have not done it before.
Its best to remove the cams completely, but I'm a cowboy.... I cheated and lined up the cams so none of the lobes were putting much pressure on the valves - by turning the motor - then just took out the bolts and cam caps (the caps are hand engraved with numbers so you know what position  they are from), then gently lifted the cams and put a bit of rag under them while I removed the shims one by one to record the sizes, then found that some numpty had inserted one shim upside down and obliterated the numbers  :icon_rolleyes: Its handy to have a micrometer  :nod
The best bit was removing the shims as they were held firmly by vacuum, due probably to the circular groove on top of the bucket.
I ended up using a well worn thin screwdriver to gently 'chisel' them out at the slots  :icon_eek: and a pair of curved long noes pliers to grab them with
Sorry there's no pics - but I got this post a few hours afterwards.

Mustang

shim ................ magnet
match made in heaven

Mustang

out of curiosity what size were the shims ?
steamers generally have 2.75 to 2.8 shims when new

nickjtc

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on March 19, 2015, 09:25:00 PM
shim ................ magnet
match made in heaven
I normally use one of those telescopic jobbies, but I lost it, and all my other magnets are covered in metal filings and just too difficult to clean (I shouldn't keep them all in the same place - but away from the grinder)

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on March 19, 2015, 09:27:45 PM
out of curiosity what size were the shims ?
steamers generally have 2.75 to 2.8 shims when new
The IN on CYL 3 are both 265 and
The EX on CYL 2 are L/H 270 R/H 2.675
I didn't measure the rest as I won't be changing them this time.