News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2004 Tiger Idle erratic, dies in traffic

Started by Snowcat73, October 10, 2015, 04:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Batteries are cheap and replacing can save a load of time.  Even if it's not the cause, it's one of the cheapest to eliminate.

With a bad battery it's a downward spiral; doesn't start, or starts but runs crap.  Repeated attempts to start the bike with a weak battery result in the battery volts being so low the ECU can't shut down properly, trims get corrupted, it runs crap and so on.

A battery that can't be charged overloads the charging system and can lead to problems there, although I still believe a lot of the charging system issues are down to the three spade connector having high resistance connections due to poor maintenance.

I should write a wiki on this so we can modify it as we prove theories etc...  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

motoOzarks

You won't need to reflash to fix your present issue

If the PO said they had to charge your battery then ..........

Suggesting riding through a tank or so of fuel was not intended to get rid of bad fuel.  If it was bad fuel it would just run like crap and you would know it.  It was suggested so your bikes computer could have the time to start and drive and start again enough times so the computer can set itself where it needs to be.
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Chris Canning

And on top of all the above the French Sagem fuel injection system is a law unto itself,I run 3 other bike all have aftermarket fuel maps and they run just like the day they were blown into the ECU.

Where as my good old Tiger very often runs depending on how it feels on the day,after 14 years of ownership I'm used to it but God knows what a newbie will make of it :icon_wink:

Do lots of reading and cleaning and do nothing else till you go your head around the situation,but you sure can tie a lot of things down to the 12 minute tune and the stepper motor.

Oh and balancing the throttle bodies.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: motoOzarks on October 14, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
You won't need to reflash to fix your present issue

If the PO said they had to charge your battery then ..........

Suggesting riding through a tank or so of fuel was not intended to get rid of bad fuel.  If it was bad fuel it would just run like crap and you would know it.  It was suggested so your bikes computer could have the time to start and drive and start again enough times so the computer can set itself where it needs to be.

Same as I was getting at,  although if the battery is suspect, it's not going to get any better until it's replaced.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Talking of which I put a new battery on mine earlier in the year the bike hasn't had to do as much travelling this year and while it started OK it hasn't been great and the lithium on my 660 has been really good so I'll fit one at the end of the winter.

Fentible

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 13, 2015, 07:17:04 PM
It's not a case of if's and buts dodgy tick over always takes you back to either the stepper or iffy coil

Actually not always Chris, as I pointed out in a previous post I had exactly the same symptoms on a similarly set up T595 and it turned out to be as simple as a leak in the vacuum tubes caused by the previous owner removing the Scottoiler and not plugging the vacuum feed.

Chris Canning

Sorry I only got to T595 and switched off probably Triumphs only disaster hole or no hole :icon_wink:

Thankfully Triumph learned their lesson and very quickly hence our 955 in 2001.

Snowcat73

Thanks a lot for the info guys, I really appreciate it, I'm trying to get out on the bike as much as possible and chew through as many miles as possible and as work will allow, Carbtune is in order and throttle bodies will be getting balanced along with new plugs and air filter as soon as I can. Also I will invest in a new battery, can't do any harm. Looking at a Motorbatt unless anyone any better ideas?

Your comment regarding the Scottoiler interests me also, I have one which is outwardly badly fitted, I.e the delivery tube is poorly fitted and I'm just wondering if the general neglect of this bike has extended to piss poor fitting of parts also?

When the tank comes off for the above I will thoroughly check all the vac tubes for cracks and leaks etc. Do you think it might be best to replace them anyway? Can't do any harm, would you guys use oem or can you recommend any alternatives?

Bixxer Bob

If you decide to replace the vac tubes, most use silicon vac tube with 5mm id.  The stubs are 6mm but 5 gives a tighter fit.
Don't be tempted to dismantle the IACV to clean it.  You'll need £70 for a new one....

Regarding the Scottoiler, make sure the T piece is well away from the throttle linkage.  Just after I bought mine (with SO already fitted) the first time  I opened the throttle fully, the T piece got under the cable cam and jammed it open.  Clean grundies reqd.

Motobatt is popular, but be aware that when the time comes, they give little warning at the end of their life, they go pretty quickly.  Still use them myself though, they discharge a lot more slowly than lead acid if they're stood a while, and they have good cranking power.

Snowcat73

Thanks Bob, Motobatt is on order and should be here tomorrow, going to also order fresh vac tube for what it costs, better safe than sorry, lead should also be here tomorrow so plan to download TuneECU ready.

I'm using the bike for work on Saturday and will see how it behaves with the new battery on before proceeding further. Just received the V5 for the bike and the previous owner had it for 3 and a half years so going to try and contact him to see what servicing and maintainance has been done during his ownership as the last stamp in the book is 2011. With all my bikes I always do my own maintainance but also keep a record of it for future owners if I sell on (not that I tend to sell on in recent years).

Thanks again

Chris Canning

I've spent a few bob on mine over the years and even coils at £100 a pop take some swallowing but the vacuum tubes even had me saying how much :icon_eek: :ImaPoser

Snowcat73

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 15, 2015, 04:16:48 PM
I've spent a few bob on mine over the years and even coils at £100 a pop take some swallowing but the vacuum tubes even had me saying how much :icon_eek: :ImaPoser
Yeah this £1500 bargain of the century is going to quickly become 'alright for the money'!!  :icon_smile:

Chris Canning

I view the old 955 as a great piece of kit and I spend on mine what ever it takes and over the years it's paid me back ten fold and still does.

I've been errr I think the technical term is dithering between. DVT Multi and an XR for months but you get one of these old triples running as they can and they take some beating.

Snowcat73

Got three mates all with multi's and didn't want to follow the herd hence the triple and it's got teething trouble but I'll get there it's early days