News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2004 Tiger Idle erratic, dies in traffic

Started by Snowcat73, October 10, 2015, 04:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Snowcat73 on October 15, 2015, 03:08:21 PM
Thanks Bob, Motobatt is on order and should be here tomorrow, going to also order fresh vac tube for what it costs, better safe than sorry, lead should also be here tomorrow so plan to download TuneECU ready.

I'm using the bike for work on Saturday and will see how it behaves with the new battery on before proceeding further. Just received the V5 for the bike and the previous owner had it for 3 and a half years so going to try and contact him to see what servicing and maintainance has been done during his ownership as the last stamp in the book is 2011. With all my bikes I always do my own maintainance but also keep a record of it for future owners if I sell on (not that I tend to sell on in recent years).

Thanks again

Don't forget the Adaptation or 12 minute tune  after you fit the battery.  If you've an O2 sensor in the exhaust down pipe you do the Adaptation, if not then do the  12MT; both are in the "how to"

Don't dive in to doing the TuneECU thing until you've tried what you described.  Doing too much at one time will make it much harder to workout what's going on later.  Use TECU to look around by all means but try to resist the temptation to change things. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Snowcat73

That's exactly my intention Bob, exhaust the mechanicals before moving to the TuneECU, and even then one step at a time. I'm going to cautiously say I think that new battery, plugs, air filter, tb balance and new vuc pipes should do the trick

Bixxer Bob

:thumbsup

One other word of warning, don't be tempted to reset the TPS in Tune ECU (it seems to be one of those irresistable things that folks just can't help doing) until you've solved this one.  I didit  thinking it might be the cause.  It wasn't.  Worse, the sod wouldn't start afterwards.  It took ages to coax it into life with judicious use of the throttle and a good ten mile thrash to get it back to anything like normal.  I can't recall exactly what I did now but I know if I hadn't had the years playing with my Girly I'd have been in the  :Topes
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Snowcat73

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 16, 2015, 02:16:15 PM
Don't forget the Adaptation or 12 minute tune  after you fit the battery.  If you've an O2 sensor in the exhaust down pipe you do the Adaptation, if not then do the  12MT; both are in the "how to"

Don't dive in to doing the TuneECU thing until you've tried what you described.  Doing too much at one time will make it much harder to workout what's going on later.  Use TECU to look around by all means but try to resist the temptation to change things.
Hi Bob battery arrived today so just awaiting Carbtune gauge for TB sync then going to look at tune ecu, by the look of it I have sensor in the downpipe, unless this is something that will become clear with TuneECU when I plug it in can I just ask what the 'adaptations' are?

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Snowcat73

Quote from: John Stenhouse on October 20, 2015, 03:18:11 PM
See post three in this thread, it's the clearest I've evr seen it explained.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14769.0.html
Thanks for that John, makes things clearer. So the idea is to run the bike up to temp, is this set with the engine running, I assume so otherwise it wouldn't get a reading from the O2 sensor?

Bixxer Bob

Bixxer Bob

The actual step by step is in the How To section:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,12926.msg94935.html#msg94935

Don't mess with your IACV steps at this point, adjusting them is like tweeking the idle mixture on a carb, see if this solves it first.

Snowcat73

If at this point the lambda reading is out is that an adjustment through TuneECU? Sorry if all of these questions sound a bit inane, I'm sure it'll all be one clear once I'm plugged in and am looking at the software doing what it does.

Thanks agai. Bob.

Bixxer Bob

I don't mind questions, especially as I don't have all the answers  :icon_lol:

If the O2 reading isn't swinging, then do another Adaptation; no need to use TuneECU to change the settings.

The Adaptation is what the dealer is supposed to do to get the ECU to trim itself based on the sensor readings before he delivers a new bike to a customer.  It seems not all of them do, but it's a handy process for resetting trims if you have no other way to do it.  If you don't have TuneECU and can't see the O2 swinging, simply repeating the Adaptation process two or three times then going for a ride should get the job done.

I have to say though, especially as this came up in a phone conversation with Chris today, you shouldn't get too hung up on this unless it's really bad.  Chris, like myself and a few others on here, are long time Girly owners.  Just like the rest of their gender, Girlies have good days and bad days; you never really know how its going to be when you get it out of the garage.  Mine runs great most of the time but has the odd off day.  No particular reason - maybe just the way it was ridden immediately before putting it away, I don't know.  Very often I'll run through the usual service / set up routine and find, when I go for a ride, it's brilliant; but by the time I get home again, it's trimmed itself back to it's more familiar self.  It makes me wonder what the "norm" that the ECU is chasing is based on. 

I think it's called "Character".....  :icon_rolleyes:

motoOzarks

:iagree

strong battery......ride it

I had a f650gs that would sometimes die when I pulled the clutch in to change gears or would stop at a light.

All it took to fix it was to momentarily pause when I turned the key on before cranking to a start.

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Snowcat73

Fitted the battery and have to say it was immediate to notice the difference in the way the bike cranked over, certainly that's going to improve things. Could be all the fix it needs but I'm not cracking the champers just yet, if only bike ownership was so easy!!

Bixxer Bob

Can't say for my Tiger because I don't think I ever read the owners manual, but I do remember reading in my Blackbird manual that you should turn the key, wait for the ECU to sort itself out and the warning light go out before cranking it.  I firmly believe that a lot of issues stem from not giving the ECU time to do its thing, or from the battery voltage not being high enough for it to save the trim values before shutting down.

Snowcat73

Cheers for the heads up, could be a little late now, was hoping to get out for a spin tomorrow, heavy rain forecast which didn't bother me but this stinking lurgy I've picked up does, anyway I was wondering, had a set of Carbtune vac gauges on order for a couple of weeks now, still not turned up and think I might have been had but I'll take that up with eBay and PayPal. Anyway was wondering can TuneECU be used to balance TBs? I've seen it can do 1050's but wasn't sure about mine, it needs doing and don't really want to wait another week for gauges if I don't need to

Bixxer Bob

Nope, not possible on a Girly.  Get Carbtune direct from supplier: http://www.carbtune.co.uk/

You can leave the balancing for now, just ride it and see.....