News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2004 Tiger Idle erratic, dies in traffic

Started by Snowcat73, October 10, 2015, 04:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michae

Snowcat.....I've reading though this, did you get ironed out, did the battery solve it

Snowcat73

No it still has the issue, hoping to get stuck in over the Christmas period, get it stripped down, new vac pipes, throttle balance and tuneecu then see where we are. Will keep everyone posted

Snowcat73

Just a quick update for everyone, had a thousand other things to do so not really done anything on the bike but last week I was thinking about the Scotoiller again. I was due to take it for a spin and as if removed most of the rest it, only the reservoir and connection to the vac tube remained, I decided to close the reservoir completely and Bung the end. Whilst the bike was still struggling it didn't actually cut out, thinking about this today I've whipped the tank and airbox off, removed to scotoiller Tee piece and replaced the vac pipes. Couldn't get it up to temp as I was in the confines of the workshop but started it just to make sure I'd put it back together right and it seemed a lot smoother on fast idle, I'm going to get out on it tomorrow and give it a proper test ride but I'm crossing my fingers that I've fixed the issue. P.S any want to buy a Scotoiller? Haha

Chris Canning

Mine has had a few hiccups over the last couple of years and I guess the advantage us long term owners have is the patience to sort them because they are great bits of kit when they are right.

What Bix does put in a lot of his posts but maybe it should be in caps is RIDE it and I don't mean a 100 miles down the road they do change,even when my Tiger has been running well and I've decided to have another map put in by a dealer,6 months down the road its a different animal not better or worse just different.

The other 3 bikes I have 2 have PC's and the other a Rexxer map and they run just the same as the day they were set up,my Tiger never has but I live with it because it's been a grand old girl that has seen most of Europe many times over.

The problem I have had my 955 has close on 40,000 mile nearly all but a couple thousand have been done in Europe and as I ride it very little in the UK I have struggled to get some serious miles in since my blip with th stepper and new vac tubes I guess it's done 5/600 miles and it still changes every time I ride it.

I would also keep an eye on the plug/coil mine showed up on Bixs laptop as being just a fraction off and blimey did it make a difference when I changed it.

I write it off as character but I could understand a newbie getting a little ticked off over such trying to get it right.

Snowcat73

SUCCESS!!! It would appear that replacing the vac pipes has had the desired effect and the bike no longer cuts out when I stop at junctions etc. Don't get me wrong it isn't perfect yet by any stretch and the idle is still not as steady as I'd like. When the weather improves and I can get the bike outside to work on I'll complete the top end service... Plugs, air filter, balance throttle bodies and run TuneECU through it but for now I'm just going to take every opportunity to ride it.

Thanks for all the help, tips and info chaps, couldn't have done it without you all.

Cheers

Bixxer Bob

Funny thing this; Triumph say DON'T fit a Scottoiler, Clive Woods says if you have one throw it away, and - because mine was on when I got it and I already have one on my Blackbird with no issues - I thought, "Bollocks, I'll just leave it".  And left it I did.  For 7 yrs.

Then, (thanks again to Sin) I got an E-Scottoiler and threw the vacuum bits away.  And now it runs so much better.

Now, given that the Scottoiler vacuum system is a sealed system, it shouldn't affect anything, and one could argue Triumph were just hedging their bets in case they got sued, but clearly it does make a difference.  I don't know why  :^_^  it just does.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

The problem I've found with several Scotoilers is that they weren't fitted properly in the first place. Vacumn hose connected to all three carbs  :^_^ bends too tight leading to air leaks, restrictor not fitted etc. etc.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

I suppose you might get an oscillation effect with the scottoiler where the air in the tube was acting like a spring.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: iansoady on January 05, 2016, 02:21:04 PM
I suppose you might get an oscillation effect with the scottoiler where the air in the tube was acting like a spring.

That's one of the effects that the restrictor is supposed to prevent.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

The real test of how my Tiger is running??? holding the left bar end between my forfinger and thumb when out riding tells me everything about the fuelling  :icon_biggrin:

fattyjr

I have noticed with my tiger is if i am in a rush and jump on the bike, keys in, fire it up and go, I tend to get an iffy idle.

If i go to the bike, put keys in and allow the the fuel pump to time out and then fire it up, it tends to behave it's self.

Another thing i have noticed is try not to blip the throttle when coming to a stop when your downshifting. 
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Bixxer Bob

You're right about taking your time and I would add when it starts and the tickover goes high, let it have a few seconds to work out what the tickover should be and come down to that.  It'll still be higher than when hot but it's an indication that the ECU has read all the sensors and is good to go.  As you've found, if you hit start, fire and go, the ECU hasn't got a chance.  Given that the reading and sorting itself out, electrically speaking, should only take a fraction of a second, I can only guess that the programmer is playing safe and giving  time for the air in the airbox to get moving with a fresh intake of ambient air, the coolant and oil to start to circulate, the IACV stepper motor to respond etc.

Don't we just love theories???  :icon_lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

fattyjr

well to add to the theory.  Yesterday dash out of work, keys in and started bike and rode off.  it actually cut out on me as I slowed for a right turn junction.

Today, out of work. put keys in and ignition on.  PUT GLOVES ON then pressed start and it fired up.  rode home and it never faulted. it idled at bang on 1200.  I think it's a little slow so this weekend I am going to tweak the idle speed and few other things.

Also going to put some new cables on the starter and alternator.  Anyone want some?  Got plently of HD superflex cable.  Not seen it for sale recently.
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Chris Canning

My first 885i lasted 6 weeks before it blew a head gasket very common on that bike and before that had already had the sump off to replace internal engine bolts that had been wrongly plated and the plating was flaking off and blocking the oil ways.

My first came in April 99 the second in the May,MCN organised a factory visit where we got the tour and to meet the design team,even then owners were moaning like F*** about the bikes and how many attempts it took to start and get it running something like,my personnel record was 6 before the bloody thing decided to run properly.

One of the first question we asked the design team was why the tiger wasn't a 955 like the 595 Daytona there was much coughing and shuffling of feet as we were completely unaware of all the hassle they were having with overheating etc,I later found out my local dealer had so many rebuilds the factory ended up helping out.

The bottom line Triumph had started with building 3 cylinder Triples which were nothing more than tried and tested 3 cylinder Kawasakis,their first toe in the serious water of modern day fuel injected bikes was 885i and Triumph learned quickly and hence why they have such a quick revamp with 955.

Not all the bugs were sorted out even then as my 955 is testament too,and ditching the Sagem system for the jap version is where things really turned the corner.

Yea sure there are some good high mileage 885i's but because Triumph was on such a steep learning curve that is more down to luck than the tech of the model,I could write a book about sorting the Ohlins shock on my 955 it has been revalved twice and as I had pointed out to me mainly required because Triumph hadn't got a clue what they were doing with suspension and swing arms.

Have a look at any modern Triumph Tiger and you see the rising rate linkage they have learned quickly.