News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Change mileage on speedometer

Started by ghulst, November 21, 2015, 12:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Ok, I know this sounds weird, but hear me out...

Apparently my Tiger has had damage on the front. I'm not sure what happened, but it probably happened with one of the previous two owners (as I am the third). Anyway, when I got the Tiger, the black back to the dashboard was missing, so I found one in the UK and brought it home with me. When I fitted it, I wanted to see why my speedo no longer had an opening to the side. It turns out the speedo has had its bucket glassed on. Not a very nice thing to do. Anyway, I fitted the black back to the dashboard and left the speedo in there for the next couple of weeks. Fast forward to last Monday and I found a speedo at a very decent price and it is complete. However, it shows a higher mileage than my Tiger is. But I want to fit the speedo as it is completely original and it is very nice. I just want the mileage to show the actual mileage of my Tiger.

How would I go about this?

(Also, if someone has a front frame lying around, I might be interested. And can I get the foam/rubber rings for under the fairing bolts anywhere cheap?)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

ssevy

Not sure if these are tamper proof, but if not, you could buy a replacement speedo cable, insert the proper end in the speedo, and chuck the other end in a cordless drill and then go in whichever direction spins it backwards. Probably illegal, by the way.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

nickjtc

Quote from: ssevy on November 21, 2015, 12:13:53 AM
Probably illegal, by the way.

:iagree Although if you have the service records for the bike from the previous owner/s (ratifying the mileage as it is now) you could put the new-to-you speedo on and keep recording the correct mileage in your maintenance log.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ghulst

Not sure if these are tamper proof, but if not, you could buy a replacement speedo cable, insert the proper end in the speedo, and chuck the other end in a cordless drill and then go in whichever direction spins it backwards.

I reckoned something like that. I didn't see an easy way to open it to try and change it that way...

Probably illegal, by the way.
As far as I am aware it is not illegal here to change the speedo for a new speedo and transfer mileage of the original speedo to the new speedo. It would be if I would have the replacement speedo reflect a mileage which is different from the old one and then tried to sell it on to someone. (But as this speedo is 10K ahead of my current one, I wouldn't want to do that.)

Quote from: nickjtc on November 21, 2015, 12:14:56 AM
Although if you have the service records for the bike from the previous owner/s (ratifying the mileage as it is now) you could put the new-to-you speedo on and keep recording the correct mileage in your maintenance log.
I don't really have service logs for the bike. Just pictures of the speedo from when I bought it. There is no scientific way for me to verify that I bought the Tiger with the correct mileage on the clock, but it does look and feel like it is and I do believe the seller was trustworthy. So, I believe the old speedo to be correct. ;) Which means that I would like to keep that mileage that way.

Bixxer Bob

It is illegal (in the UK anyway) to misrepresent the mileage ie try to imply the bike has done less miles than it has, to increase the value.  To fit a speedo showing the same miles as the one removed is noticeable only to the person doing it and misleads no-one so in my opinion is ok.   In any event, with bikes of this age, condition and service history is more important than miles when deciding a price.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: ghulst on November 21, 2015, 12:06:13 AM
I just want the mileage to show the actual mileage of my Tiger.

How would I go about this?

I did it for the same reasons, must have similar AR genes. Must update that link as the pics has gotten lost.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Nice thread. The speedo is currently attached to my electric drill doing around 100km/h backwards. ;)
This is going to take quite some time... Didn't want to ruin the unscratched bezel... Though I might want to reconsider.

ssevy

Look for "repairing a fluttering tach" on this thread to see how I opened up and repaired my tach. Bezel friendly!
http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-tips-and-tricks-for-the-t3-classics/
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

ghulst

Thanks for that.

I am down to the last 800 kilometers now. ;)

nickjtc

So here's a thought, apropos of nothing. Is the speedo assembly/gearing built to take hours and hours of CONTINUOUS operation..... like when changing the odometer? I suppose we'll find out when ghulst gives us the happy news that the mileage is finally correct.

ghulst

Quote from: nickjtc on November 29, 2015, 01:58:46 AM
So here's a thought, apropos of nothing. Is the speedo assembly/gearing built to take hours and hours of CONTINUOUS operation..... like when changing the odometer? I suppose we'll find out when ghulst gives us the happy news that the mileage is finally correct.
LOL, that is what I have been thinking of a lot. That is also why I only rewind it at around 100km/h. That should keep it relatively stress free. The speedo is able to move around a bit while spinning etc. I guess the proof is in the mounting in this case. Only 300km to go. Hopefully I'll have time to sort it out later this week. No time today and I don't want to overshoot my target mileage. ;)

ghulst

Right... So, an image of it going forward and registering 100km/h. Just because I overshot my target mileage. :(

nickjtc

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: nickjtc on November 29, 2015, 05:30:15 PM
You have a LOT of patience!!  :icon_salut:

Or a cable tie around the drill trigger  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on November 29, 2015, 06:30:39 PM
Or a cable tie around the drill trigger  :augie

I wasn't expecting that he would sit and hold the drill, whistling Dixie.  :ImaPoser