News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

About to get a 99/00 885 apart from being top heavy, anything I should know

Started by Michae, December 18, 2015, 03:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ds99

yes, but it probably has no service history, has marks on it and it's one of the earlier spoke wheel models, which are not as good at the later cast alloy wheel models.

Quote from: Chris Canning on December 18, 2015, 08:28:25 PM
,look at the 955 on eBay 14000 mile bike with panniers for 2500 and you can bet your life you can chip him at that price.

Michae

Quote from: ds99 on December 18, 2015, 11:21:50 PM
i'd got for a low miles tiger 955i, with cast alloy wheels. there's loads on ebay at the moment. and they come with centre stand, heated grips, and panniers as standard.

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-TRIUMPH-TIGER-955I-LOW-MILEAGE-FULL-LUGGAGE-SERVICE-HISTORY-MOT-/191753463193

I was looking at that but it's exactly 400 miles from me

I know you all keep saying stay away from the 885 and try and get the 955 but if it's just the engines, is the 885 that bad, if so in what way (then again i'll hopefully get a go on one tomorrow)

Michae

Quote from: ds99 on December 18, 2015, 11:26:41 PM
yes, but it probably has no service history, has marks on it and it's one of the earlier spoke wheel models, which are not as good at the later cast alloy wheel models.

After emailing about the 885 i'll hopefully see tomorrow. it's seemingly well looked after and regularly serviced ect with paperwork to back it up...time will tell

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: ds99 on December 18, 2015, 11:22:56 PM

my 2005 955i gets 60mpg, and it has 29,000 miles on it.

:bug_eye :bug_eye :bug_eye

I got 55 mpg for the first week, 8 yrs ago, but have only had around 45mpg since. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Michae

Chris Canning

Quote from: Michae on December 18, 2015, 11:21:23 PM
So it's all in the engines but I guess that'll be down to different cams, fi mainly

It's a different engine.

As for my 660 I still have it.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 18, 2015, 11:46:37 PM
:bug_eye :bug_eye :bug_eye

I got 55 mpg for the first week, 8 yrs ago, but have only had around 45mpg since.

That made me laugh + 1

Chris Canning

Quote from: Michae on December 18, 2015, 11:59:31 PM
This what i'll probably go to see and take out tomorrow

You will note the header guard has dropped off because they were welded on,another lesson they learned for 955  :icon_wink:

Michae

Sin_Tiger

Damage (dropped or crashed - history) or blistering under the non stock tank paint, use the search for futher info on that.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Michae

It's (tank) been resprayed due to bubbling hence no graphics and the to tight to put any on, I've saw on the bay staring about 8 quid, not saying they'd be any good but would have been something to put to look decent to sell it but that's me.

Sin_Tiger

That's encouraging that the seller is being open about it  :thumbsup good luck.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Michae

I've been to see it and rode faultless, no flat spots, nothing...only thing that got me was the top heaviness but apart from that it was bloody good  :nod

I know what you all say as regards the 955 but as I said before there's nothing near me (I'm near Ayr) I think there's a newer 800 but at about £5-6000 there's no point as that's not what I'll maybe be going for.

I think also said I got a good go on a mates 650GS last night...apart from having (to me) not much power/torque it was bloody good, a very well made and handling wee bike....it's put a spanner in the works.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Michae on December 19, 2015, 01:37:47 PM
Sorry Chris don't know what to look for

Have look at a photo of another 885 or 955 for that matter you will see what has dropped off,you will also note it has the bypass pipe on as opposed to the collector box,does it have the open pipe on it?

KuzzinKenny

Hey Michae !! Have a looky here....................

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_catalogue.php?model_id=23605

have fun

KK

ps Welcome to TT.com  :thumbsup :occasion14
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly