News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

About to get a 99/00 885 apart from being top heavy, anything I should know

Started by Michae, December 18, 2015, 03:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michae

I know  :icon_redface:

I'm hopefully about to get an 03 955 any day if I can either trust my bike trailer or get the money for a delivery company.

Or get a local 650GS and "Dakar it" as proper one are to much right now but the only difference is suspension anyway (and graphics).

nickjtc

Quote from: Michae on December 21, 2015, 04:32:54 PM
Or get a local 650GS and "Dakar it" as proper one are to much right now but the only difference is suspension anyway (and graphics).

I think you would regret that decision, imho. Do you want to be part of the BMW clique/snobbery/herd mentality. :nono
Or part of a group of intelligent, discerning, well spoken individuals who prize individuality over wanting to be just like the Joneses (Or Gottfrieds, as the case may be....)

I know, I'm so full of it that it's coming out of my ears.... :ImaPoser

Whatever you choose, anything on two wheels is better than anything on four..... :icon_salut:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Michae

If you're close to the dealer, sin tiger sent me the link but it's to ask if anyone's near it to save me driving 250-300 miles for a wasted trip if it's a bit of a bin, thanks  :icon_wink:

JoeDirt

Quote from: Michae on December 22, 2015, 04:22:10 PM
If you're close to the dealer, sin tiger sent me the link but it's to ask if anyone's near it to save me driving 250-300 miles for a wasted trip if it's a bit of a bin, thanks  :icon_wink:

Nice bike... It appears to be very stock. It does have crash bars, radiator/oil guards, possibly a K&N filter, center stand, and different hand grips. Just looking at the pics there seems to be no damage on the tank or panniers. The panniers are a nice upgrade, take a look at the price for a set of used ones. The tank and panniers are the first and second thing that gets hit on these bike if they are dropped or tipped over. They do offer a VIN check on the auction for £9. I would call those guys direct and see if the previous owner left any receipts. It has low miles for one of these bikes. I buy parts for mine just as new as the whole bike. I would almost buy that one sight unseen. Almost...

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: Michae on December 22, 2015, 04:22:10 PM

I'm missin somethin here  :^_^ that number brings up a fedex parcel  :icon_scratch:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

JoeDirt

Quote from: KuzzinKenny on December 22, 2015, 05:37:26 PM
I'm missin somethin here  :^_^ that number brings up a fedex parcel  :icon_scratch:

KK

Drop that number into an eBay search. Okay buh-bye.

Chris Canning

Takes me here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tiger-955i-2002-02-Service-History-Factory-Colour-coded-Panniers-/331735718138?hash=item4d3cfd58fa:g:ZMsAAOSw5IJWc9nR

Funny how folks look at different things I looked at this some days ago as a front runner and what passed my test was  blown up picture of the rear caliper which shows a rather nice non corroded bleed nipple and the same for the front wheel first question from me is always 'Has it ben ridden in the winter' if it's a yes then it's Brrrrrrr so def worth a look.

What I would ask about this who has spoodled  :icon_wink: the bike up,I'd say the previous owner as it's rare for a shop to take so much trouble!!,sump is a little scabby but so is mine and that hasn't seen a winters day in it's life.

As is this,no where as good but with a couple of days elbow grease could be got very close.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tiger-955i-very-low-miles-full-Givi-luggage-/252171906996?hash=item3ab69defb4:g:nGsAAOSwiwVWSLq-

iansoady

Looks a bit expensive to me, especially at this time of year. When I sold my 955i about 3 years ago (04 plate so then 5 years newer than this) it went for £2750. It was in similar condition and mileage.

TBH I don't think buying from a dealer at this end of the market gets you anything much.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

JoeDirt

:iagree

I don't like paying for peoples show rooms and expert staffs... :thumbsup

Chris Canning

Blimey you boys don't do much wheeling dealing since when has the asking price had anything to do with the sale price,they are both dealers and they will be expecting a P/X to turn up go with cash at this time of year anything is possible.

And don't go doing it over the phone the world is full of time wasters,walk through the door with the money in you pocket and I'm here to buy it attitude there's always a deal to be had,the problem with buying private and I've bought loads It can turn into a pissing contest.

The silver one I'd be looking 2500 and the black one at 2000.

The only thing that concerns me about the silver one is its a staged photo with a back drop which is pretty strange because while some think 3 grand or less!!! is a lot of money the reality it's a drop in the ocean relative to the cost of a new bikes in today's day and age.

Snowcat73

I know the shop very well and have several friends who have bought from them previously. The shop is owned by ex racers, they are very fair, very honest and very trustworthy. They know what they are talking about and do their best by the bikes to command the best for their bikes. They are known to be pricy to be honest and there is usually little room for manoeuvre on price but then again it is a buyers market. I would trust these guys 100%.

I remember many yes ago I hadn't long passed my test and was looking for a first 'big bike'. Was looking at a Thundercat and he was explaining what a great first bike they were, my eyes were drawn to a gorgeous R1 they had and as soon as I mentioned it he said in no uncertain terms that he probably wouldn't be prepared to sell an R1 to an inexperienced rider and he wanted to sleep at night. They are responsible and I wouldn't hesitate to trust what they were telling me about a bike.

Hope this helps.

Timbox2

Hmmm, silver one looks pretty decent to me, yes chaps I may be back, long story Ill fill you in later
2016 Tiger Sport

fattyjr

£2995 for a 14 year old bike especially at this time of year.  OUCH  it's a bit steep.  Not to

If your really interested in the bike and have the cash, I would give them a bell and see where their pain threshold is.

When I was looking for a 1200 trophy last year, I found a dealer who had one in that was on the floor at £1750.  Nice green colour to match my sprint.  I was at them for 2 weeks for a price i was happy with and got the bike for under £1000 and when i picked it up it had a folder of reciepts with it.  showed it had a major service inc valve clearance 2 years/500 miles previous at a cost of £765.

Now the tiger I have cost me £sub 600 and that came with a bucket of reciepts too.  Had a few little issues with it but that's down to being stood, but it had a brand new set of boots, chain kit and valve clearances.  Like I said in my other posts, I can afford to spend a little on mine to make it better.
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Chris Canning

Quote from: Timbox2 on December 24, 2015, 11:04:41 AM
Hmmm, silver one looks pretty decent to me, yes chaps I may be back, long story Ill fill you in later

I'd also be looking at the one at Wigan,there's a dink in the rad but nothing that couldn't be sorted I know a man that moves motorcycles  :icon_biggrin:

As for Girly prices they have been all over the place in the last 6/7 years there was a spell when you would pay more for a good steamer than a 955.

iansoady

That was probably about when I sold mine.......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650