News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

About to get a 99/00 885 apart from being top heavy, anything I should know

Started by Michae, December 18, 2015, 03:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ds99

current tiger 955i prices do seem to vary a bit.

Although i am always amazed there are dealers now trying to charge over £4,000 for one. You can get a 'new style' tiger 800 for not much more than that.

i think £2,500-£3,000 gets you a nice low miles 2005 or later 955i with service history, and probably some extras

under £2,500 and you're looking at older ones (spoke wheels) with patchy history - but still worth a look

Michae

Quote from: Chris Canning on December 24, 2015, 01:47:57 PMI know a man that moves motorcycles

Who's that....I was getting quotes from anyvan.com

Quote from: ds99 on December 24, 2015, 05:58:32 PMunder £2,500 and you're looking at older ones (spoke wheels) with patchy history - but still worth a look

That's right, they don't all have a patchy background

Chris Canning

Quote from: Michae on December 24, 2015, 07:05:42 PM
Who's that....I was getting quotes from anyvan.com

That's right, they don't all have a patchy background

Tim and know each other very well and as he knows!!! I'm the bike mover which is completely separate story as I've stopped doing it apart from local stuff and friends,what you will or won't,there are two factions who move bikes the guys who do the private stuff for peanuts and the pros who do the trade,I'll go into it another day.

Re the background I'd never buy a bike because it has a full service history means absolutely nothing!!!.

Chris Canning

I still look at this forum from the days of thinking of buying a 690SMC and it's like the wild west!!

But this maybe usefull,but I can you tell for sure cheapest way to get a bike moved is via the selling dealer.

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/general-discussion/1125625-bike-collection-delivery.html

Just remember the moment Scotland is mentioned as the destination there is always a large intact of breath.

Sin_Tiger

This 955 might also be worth consideration, higher mileage but sensible and not necessarily a bad thing, not too far.

And this 955 a bit further away but lower mileage.

And this cast wheel 05, well down south, a few scrapes etc. but real low mileage.

As Chris says, they are out there, have to do your homework, do the maths, do your risk assesment, then completely ignore all that and go with what grabs you  :ImaPoser

Right, I'm stopping looking now as every one I look at just reminds me that I've never owned a Girly  :icon_redface: and I can smell brussel sprouts so I'm off to hide in the garage, she'll never find me under that pile of Land Rover junk  :mut Good luck
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 25, 2015, 02:48:06 PM
.... do the maths, do your risk assesment, then completely ignore all that and go with what grabs you

Good luck with whatever you end up with!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

fattyjr

Service history doesn't mean it's done properly.

I know my husqvarna had just been into a husky dealer because it was running bad and they couldn't fix it (thats why it came up for sale cheap.)  Turned out it was a intermittent fault in the stator.  removed it, had it rewound and it ran great for 8 months until the magnets flew off the flywheel and had a party.

It's hung up in the garage at the mo while i play with other things
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Michae

Quote from: Chris Canning on December 24, 2015, 07:30:14 PMI'd never buy a bike because it has a full service history means absolutely nothing!!!.

I know and neither do I but it can help....but having to 2-3-400 miles to see stuff then could turn out shit, pisses you off

Quote from: Chris Canning on December 24, 2015, 08:21:01 PMJust remember the moment Scotland is mentioned as the destination there is always a large intact of breath

Even worse than £250 from Germany

Michae

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 25, 2015, 02:48:06 PM
This 955 might also be worth consideration, higher mileage but sensible and not necessarily a bad thing, not too far.

And this 955 a bit further away but lower mileage.

And this cast wheel 05, well down south, a few scrapes etc. but real low mileage.

As Chris says, they are out there, have to do your homework, do the maths, do your risk assesment, then completely ignore all that and go with what grabs you  :ImaPoser

Right, I'm stopping looking now as every one I look at just reminds me that I've never owned a Girly  :icon_redface: and I can smell brussel sprouts so I'm off to hide in the garage, she'll never find me under that pile of Land Rover junk  :mut Good luck

Thanks for the links....actually I'm watching all 3, as I said in the other post I'm either going to have to say fk it and go to one and use my gut yes or no

Chris Canning

Well my bench mark for buying private is the always the house in the background!! And the green Tiger passes the test but price is way to salty for 44000,it's 2 grand absolutely top dollar as good as the bike looks.

Re going to Scotland I wouldn't even give a quote in the end,because from my neck of woods there was going to 200 quids of fuel before I struck a blow,the way it works now is having to wait till there's a couple going north of the boarder.

Altimately the trick to buying a bike is being patient which most buyers ain't,when I wanted a K1200 is took me 2 years before I got the right one helped with joys of having more than one bike.

If one comes up in the Midlands I'm more than happy to have a look,the pressure you'll have is Timbox who may well be making a comeback although I'd point out he shouldn't have sold his it was a good one.

Timbox2

Quote from: Chris Canning on December 26, 2015, 06:45:40 PM
Well my bench mark for buying private is the always the house in the background!! And the green Tiger passes the test but price is way to salty for 44000,it's 2 grand absolutely top dollar as good as the bike looks.

Re going to Scotland I wouldn't even give a quote in the end,because from my neck of woods there was going to 200 quids of fuel before I struck a blow,the way it works now is having to wait till there's a couple going north of the boarder.

Altimately the trick to buying a bike is being patient which most buyers ain't,when I wanted a K1200 is took me 2 years before I got the right one helped with joys of having more than one bike.

If one comes up in the Midlands I'm more than happy to have a look,the pressure you'll have is Timbox who may well be making a comeback although I'd point out he shouldn't have sold his it was a good one.

I know, biggest mistake I ever made, never mind, the old codger has done me a favour writing the GS off anyway. Im out of a stupid PCP deal and Ive got a nice few quid put aside  waiting for the right moment, but this time I am being patient. Its funny, I know that for me a 1050 might be the better option but there is something about the ol Girly, it fitted me like a glove, now, where did that Wilbers go :ImaPoser
2016 Tiger Sport

Michae

Quote from: Chris Canning on December 26, 2015, 06:45:40 PM

To bad if it's a council house or flat then, we can't all live in upper middle class suburbia

So they'll go to somewhere like Germany before here (if I've got that right), fkn stupid

There's no way I'm looking for 2 years unless I really wasn't bothered but for most folk they look because they're out to buy it's a pita when it takes so long and/or nothing close. Don't get me wrong, I'll travel yes but the weathers been shit plus this time of year