News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

About to get a 99/00 885 apart from being top heavy, anything I should know

Started by Michae, December 18, 2015, 03:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michae

This is one of the triumphs I had, sprint sport, it was the same engine as the 885 or even the steamer....and not one problem with it...I still miss but again I nearly dropped a few times just moving it it about.....oh dear can somebody make it smaller i had no idea that would happen  :icon_red face

Bixxer Bob

Sin Tiger's at Maybole, not THAT far from you.  Unless you're digging your way out of course.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Michae

Sin_Tiger

Have you tried North Harbour MC, they had a black 06 a while back? Or have a word with Colin at Ayr MCC, there are two or three 955's that I see in there for service MOT regularly, he might know if one is coming up for sale. Also have a word with Stuart or Jim at Route 76 in Seamill, they've had one in recently and Jim knows his ADV bikes.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

If the bike pushes the appropriate buttons, just go for it! Be patient, one will come up at the right price...
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Michae

Quote from: Sin_Tiger tlink=topic=15018.msg115213#msg115213 date=1450570492
Have you tried North Harbour MC, they had a black 06 a while back? Or have a word with Colin at Ayr MCC, there are two or three 955's that I see in there for service MOT regularly, he might know if one is coming up for sale. Also have a word with Stuart or Jim at Route 76 in Seamill, they've had one in recently and Jim knows his ADV bikes.

I'm just going by what's on the bay, a/t, ph ect and none of them are on with tigers, I guess there's no harm asking

Quote from: nickjtc on December 20, 2015, 01:36:25 AM
If the bike pushes the appropriate buttons, just go for it! Be patient, one will come up at the right price...

I did like that black 885 in the Glasgow dealer today, I know it's older engine but ran faultless...if I can live without the 955 I might, I just wish there was a 955 localish to see....maybe I'd change my mind

motoOzarks

You will have to make up your mind before you can change it

The 885 is all Tiger and every one should buy one for the wife

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

Quote from: motoOzarks on December 20, 2015, 04:08:29 AM
The 885 is all Tiger and every one should buy one for the wife

Arf, arf, arf. Indeed. As long as you can live with the beast's voracious appetite for fuel.... For all that a great bike.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

fattyjr

Hummmm

I never noticed the tiger is top heavy.  If I really had the choice on tigers, I think I would have brought an old steamer with a knackered engine and dropped in the engine out of my sprint.  The sprint was SUPER CHEAP and all it needed was an turn signal replacing and old calipers up front binning and some juicy 6 pots slapping on.

Whenever I rode the sprint, it makes me smile.  Then again I put on some killer reverse cones to give me the right engine music, just right to wake everyone up at 5:30 in the blessed am. :wheel

Not a brillant video as sprint killed my cheapo action camera
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Sin_Tiger

A few things are working in your favour:-

It's a good time of year as a buyer.
Unseasonably mild weather means you can get a test ride on unsalted roads.
You've joined this forum, so you have access to a huge amount of experience and if you have to cast your net a bit wider, there may well be someone who can help with doing initial investigations and save you some leg work.

There are bargains to be had, as an example this just popped up in Oldham[/color]
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Michae

Quote from: fattyjr on December 20, 2015, 09:46:48 AMI never noticed the tiger is top heavy

It is when you're used to sports bikes
Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 20, 2015, 11:42:07 AM
A few things are working in your favour:-

It's a good time of year as a buyer.
Unseasonably mild weather means you can get a test ride on unsalted roads.
You've joined this forum, so you have access to a huge amount of experience and if you have to cast your net a bit wider, there may well be someone who can help with doing initial investigations and save you some leg work.

There are bargains to be had, as an example this just popped up in Oldham[/color]

That's true too but being so close to xmas is tricky too to someone to look as something miles from plus something they might think's ok, I wouldn't and vice versa...best seeing yourself if you can. I think at prices at 3 grand I'd need to be a dealer so I could trade mine, I'd be cutting it to fine spending that...I've got it but get my balls kicked  :icon_redface: plus I don't have space for 2

Dutch

Quote from: nickjtc on December 20, 2015, 01:36:25 AM
Be patient, one will come up at the right price...
I was looking around for at least 6 months if not longer before I found the orange one. Guy was selling it for someone else, it had a few more miles on it than most bikers like so he asked a very reasonable price for a quick sale. So I had a look at the bike and bought it.

Good deals aren't on the web for long, so you have to check the appropriate sites very regularly.

Chris Canning

I got my fingers burned years ago by a guy in Leyland Lancashire and ever since bikes bought off ebay or privately are never more than 50 miles from home dealers are any distance.

The problem I've found with buying private it can turn into a pissing contest and a lot of private sellers are anything but honest,your never going to get a 955 with a service record cuz the majority of dealers don't know or cant remember how to work on them,my Tiger with 40,000 on the clock has probably had 18/19 oil changes(at least) but I can't prove it  :icon_redface:

As for good deals not lasting long certainly don't agree their have been some good Tigers coming up for sale at the right money and they still take their time to sell,I've spent more than my fair share of time looking at early 955's with the idea of building another bike like the one I have and there's plenty of Tigers out these at the right money.

Michae

You're right Chris about private sales, you'll hardly even get the truth, but dealers can be as bad

I'm wary when you answer, it's like waiting for your dad to point the finger and get a row  :nono  :icon_redface:  :icon_mrgreen:

Chris Canning

Quote from: Michae on December 20, 2015, 07:31:05 PM

I'm wary when you answer, it's like waiting for your dad to point the finger and get a row  :nono  :icon_redface:  :icon_mrgreen:

You missed the bit off the bottom!!!

Who's trying save you money and hassle'  :icon_wink: