News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Constant Slack Chain. Time to replace?

Started by Danwarb, May 09, 2016, 04:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Thanks Threepot, thanks guys . . .

Ok I can only measure a length of 10 links (maybe this is what you mean by 20) and I measure the length to be consistently 320mm from one far edge of one link to the far edge of each 10th I measured (12.59 inches).

I see from the rotary section that I've had to seriously wind it back to get the chain taught which in turn would have had me now lower the bike.

Is it case of asking my mechanic to remove one to two chain links?

What else might you suggest please guys?

Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

BruKen

In my experience chains hold good and true until a certain age and mileage and then turn to bubblegum. How old is yours?

Next, 40mm slack or what ever you quoted is a bodge. There is only one way to accurately tighten a chain and that is to compress the swing arm with a strap until it is 90 degree out. i.e. maximum extension. Then adjust so the chain has about an inch of play in one run (still quite tight) in the centre of it's length between the front and rear sprockets AT IT'S tightest point (rotate the back wheel in increments) with the bike in neutral. Make sure the chain runs true and straight by sighting along it's length using the front and rear sprockets as fore and aft sights before tightening up. Do not rely solely on the cam marks for this. Finally check front and rear wheel alignment to confirm. If any of these are out, you need to start troubleshooting why.

nickjtc

Erm, that chain looks like it has seen better days!! It might be coming to the end of its wear cycle. For future reference an automatic chain oiler, such as a Scottoiler, might be an idea....
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

BruKen

Personally I hate Scottoilers for the mess they are liable to make unless you are forever fettling with the nuisance thing. If you want one you can have mine. A good X-ring chain kept clean doesn't need to be oiled, however the sprockets do or they will snatch and wear hooked. As a matter of habit at each fuel stop or 200 miles I squirt a bit of oil on the bottom wall of the rear sprocket which dams against the chain until moving off. That's all that's required for 12k of service. Too much oil leaches the grease out of the o-rings and attracts dirt.

Danwarb

Quote from: BruKen on May 10, 2016, 05:32:01 PM
Personally I hate Scottoilers for the mess they are liable to make unless you are forever fettling with the nuisance thing. If you want one you can have mine. A good X-ring chain kept clean doesn't need to be oiled, however the sprockets do or they will snatch and wear hooked. As a matter of habit at each fuel stop or 200 miles I squirt a bit of oil on the bottom wall of the rear sprocket which dams against the chain until moving off. That's all that's required for 12k of service. Too much oil leaches the grease out of the o-rings and attracts dirt.

Thanks Nick, Thanks Bru !

WOW ! What little maintenance this kind of chain requires !!! :bug_eye

I personally use a high quality dry chain lube and regularly give my chain a squirt but I love the idea of fitting a new chain because as you can see in the photos it is rather rusty !!!

I'll also check the sprockets for becoming 'hooked'. This makes sense to look out for but I reckon their fine as the bikes only done 11,000 miles !

As Nick says I reckon it's best I replace it.

Can you give me a link to the correct chain made by 'X-ring' that you think I'd need?
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Mustang

you need two sprockets and a chain
your new chain will be fucked up just like your old chain in a matter of a few hundred miles if you don't replace both sprockets
guaranteed that's an original sprocket and its screwed to match your lovely rusted original chain
it's time for new sprockets too .

How's those 20 year old michelin's treating ya ? ya might want to think about those also , are the brakes 20 years old too?

BruKen

DID 530VX chain is what I use but am intrigued by the new super heavy duty DID's ZVM-X chain. I'm sure there are beter but these are more than adequate.

Note what Mustang has said. Always change chain and sprockets together as they wear in together. Expect a bit of a settling in period but not much before readjusting. Note longevity is related to maintenance and cleanliness. A dirty or rusty chain will limit the life of the o-rings so a regular clean with paraffin and a light oil is still required as for any chain. What I said above does not preclude maintenance. I just said it doesn't require oiling for it's lubrication as the pins are sheathed in grease behind the o-rings. Sprockets still need oiling, but no need to smother them

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Mustang on May 10, 2016, 06:42:00 PM
How's those 20 year old michelin's treating ya ? ya might want to think about those also , are the brakes 20 years old too?

:iagree

Squinting at that rear disc you're getting near it's wear limits. All these things may have a bit to do with how the bike is treating you, a bit more control and feedback and it might stay upright for longer, just sayin'

You my friend need to sit down with some lined paper and make a list, then do a bit of reading / searching on the forum before you go much further from home.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

BruKen

All said in a patronising fatherly tone. Miserable old git  :ImaPoser Where's your youth then. Bet you rode around on some right bangers in your mod and rocker years avoiding the cops and stirring up shit. Don't deny, we've all been there

Mustang

Quote from: BruKen on May 10, 2016, 09:18:24 PM
All said in a patronising fatherly tone. Miserable old git  :ImaPoser Where's your youth then. Bet you rode around on some right bangers in your mod and rocker years avoiding the cops and stirring up :Topes. Don't deny, we've all been there

no way...............................bwahahahahaha !  :rfl

JayDub

I just noticed the position of the adjusters... either the chain is stretched, or it has too may links  :icon_eek:

Sottoilers to some, are the spawn of the devil - but each to their own/personal choice etc.... the ONLY downside I have experienced with using them is the mess they make of the wheel and sprockets area, Once set up correctly and to deliver one drop per 60 seconds, this is minimised and personally I can live with a bit of oil which causes no harm, and even helps stop a steamer rim from rotting. No one can deny that they extend chain life significantly... especially if you keep forgetting to spray, or don't like carrying a can on a long run.
I wouldn't tell you to get one, and I wouldn't tell you not to either  :icon_biggrin:

BruKen

Now there is a lovely bit of old Brit iron.  :>< Back in my day all you could get in SA was the UJM and some post-war BSA's. Sanctions see. Put the European stuff out of our price range as "yoofs" Mind you, those little XT's were nimble and many is the time I evaded a speed cop by riding over stairs on a pedestrian bridge / tunnel etc or simply just leaving the road. Something these days you simply couldn't get away with.

The MOT will sort the OP out, he's on the right track

BruKen

Quote from: JayDub on May 10, 2016, 09:53:50 PM
I just noticed the position of the adjusters... either the chain is stretched, or it has too may links  :icon_eek:

Sottoilers to some, are the spawn of the devil - but each to their own/personal choice etc.... the ONLY downside I have experienced with using them is the mess they make of the wheel and sprockets area, Once set up correctly and to deliver one drop per 60 seconds, this is minimised and personally I can live with a bit of oil which causes no harm, and even helps stop a steamer rim from rotting. No one can deny that they extend chain life significantly... especially if you keep forgetting to spray, or don't like carrying a can on a long run.
I wouldn't tell you to get one, and I wouldn't tell you not to either  :icon_biggrin:

Absolutely.  Mine is a personal choice. Absolutely, spawn of the devil, and at 1 drop per minute you are changing oil in the bloody thing every 200 miles or so anyway so where's the heartache? And Absolutely, they get oil on rims, tyres and everywhere else for that matter. Of course I like to detail my bike though and am rather particular in maintenance and keeping it clean. Once oil starts getting everywhere it's the thin end of the wedge imho. Turns to a thick goo with dirt and crud and soon the bike doesn't look show room any more. So you care less and things slip. Soon no matter how much you scrub it's simply too late because you cant get to it without dismantling the bike. My wife says I've OCD and laughs. But hey, every bike ride the kids get out their mits and scrub while I eye them out over a beer and fag.

BruKen

And when I say dismantle, I'm not kidding. Anybody remember this  :rfl

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint