News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Constant Slack Chain. Time to replace?

Started by Danwarb, May 09, 2016, 04:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi guys,

I've been having arguments with my Steamers chain tightening system with this 'allen key wind round' design.

I get the markings to be equal on each side of each swing arm before I tighten down the newly fitted allen head bolts to secure the chain in it's new taught position (a max play of 40mm).

How ever the chain keeps becoming loose again. Though I haven't checked the markings I can't believe it's these 'allen key wind round' sections that are spinning?

Could the chain really be stretching and slacking this much?

:icon_scratch:
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Mustang

are you adjusting chain with bike in neutral ? :BangHead It matters . you'll never get it right otherwise .
check your chain
530 chain has a 5/8ths pitch (.625 ) so 20 links =  12.5 inches

measure 20 links , record measurement
pick another random section of 20 links , measure and record

if your chain is good it will be the same measurement everywhere you check .
if you have different numbers than 12.5 inches in 20 links your chain is fucked

nickjtc

Stupid question: you are torqueing the pinch bolts up correctly..???

And DO NOT be tempted to over tighten the chain to compensate.... don't ask :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

And DON'T over tighten the pinch bolts... the welds will crack.  :nod

Nick Calne

:iagree ....and replacing the swingarm is a pain in the ar5e.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Geoff W

:agree and can be expensive to find.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Danwarb

Quote from: nickjtc on May 09, 2016, 05:58:32 PM
Stupid question: you are torqueing the pinch bolts up correctly..???

And DO NOT be tempted to over tighten the chain to compensate.... don't ask :icon_wink:

All you guys and your one lines have cracked me up !! 

:rofl

I probably am over tightening these pinch bolts in an attempt to stop them coming loose and the chain slacking again.

I think I'd better get a one of those wrenches where you set the torque max before using it to tighten.

Which brand or model would you suggest please guys?

:ear
Black 1995 Tiger 885

JoeDirt

Quote from: Mustang on May 09, 2016, 04:32:51 PM
are you adjusting chain with bike in neutral ? :BangHead It matters . you'll never get it right otherwise .
check your chain
530 chain has a 5/8ths pitch (.625 ) so 20 links =  12.5 inches

measure 20 links , record measurement
pick another random section of 20 links , measure and record

if your chain is good it will be the same measurement everywhere you check .
if you have different numbers than 12.5 inches in 20 links your chain is fucked

I have a 530 on my Girly... I just checked mine and got 12.5 inches. :thumbsup

First time I used 12.5 inches and "Girly" in same sentence. :icon_cry:

Bixxer Bob

Anyone got a picture of  swingarm with the cracked welds???

I'm thinking that off the bike and clamped on a mandrel to keep everything true they should be fixable......  :^_^
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

If you can find a welder who is certified to work on air frame alloys it can be done. I only know one but he's so busy doing jobs for Ryanair he has no time for anything else.

Needless to say in wary of flying with them but as he pointed out, "at least you know I welded the cracks up properly".
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Why do you guys think I'm experiencing my chain to keep slackening after tightening?

Will checking the chain for it's length every 20 links answer this if there's varying lengths?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

GavD

Dan,

Check the chain adjusters haven't been turned 180 deg in an attempt to lower the rear.

If they have, the wheel spindle will be to the top of the cam and the force of the drive chain is trying to turn the adjusters in a way that slackens the chain if the clamps aren't tight enough.

If they're in the correct position, spindle at the bottom, it's the opposite.

I had mine flipped to lower the rear, but was always conscious not to overtighten the clamps as they have been known to crack. Went out for a ride one day, gave it some beans and the drive force overcame the friction force quite significantly :bug_eye Had to crawl back home to find some tools to rectify a veeeeery slack chain.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Bixxer Bob

Gav has a point, but what Mustang was getting at was that chains don't stretch uniformly.  You'll have sections that are stretched and some that haven't.  If you set it at a tight section, then later check it on a slack section, you'll get a noticable difference.  If you've already wheeled the bike back and forth and checked the tension in several different places, you'll already know if that's the issue or whether you should be looking at the adjusters.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Danwarb

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 10, 2016, 01:24:30 PM
Gav has a point, but what Mustang was getting at was that chains don't stretch uniformly.  You'll have sections that are stretched and some that haven't.  If you set it at a tight section, then later check it on a slack section, you'll get a noticable difference.  If you've already wheeled the bike back and forth and checked the tension in several different places, you'll already know if that's the issue or whether you should be looking at the adjusters.

GOT IT !

I get this now; that the chain will be slacker if the stretched part is directly between the sprockets. Also that the only way to check this is to measure the chain. Ok I'll do this then report back with photos . . .
Black 1995 Tiger 885

threepot

Make sure the concentric adjusters and swingarm are clean. And spray a little WD40 on them,so they don't 'stick' when you turn them. I've noticed this helps.Surprising how much 'crud' finds it's way in!
95 Super111
96 Tiger