News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Constant Slack Chain. Time to replace?

Started by Danwarb, May 09, 2016, 04:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on May 10, 2016, 09:53:50 PM
Scottoilers to some, are the spawn of the devil - but each to their own/personal choice etc.... the ONLY downside I have experienced with using them is the mess they make of the wheel and sprockets area, Once set up correctly and to deliver one drop per 60 seconds, this is minimised and personally I can live with a bit of oil which causes no harm, and even helps stop a steamer rim from rotting. No one can deny that they extend chain life significantly... especially if you keep forgetting to spray, or don't like carrying a can on a long run.
I wouldn't tell you to get one, and I wouldn't tell you not to either  :icon_biggrin:

:iagree, being a Scottoiler devotee.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

BruKen

nickjtc

Quote from: BruKen on May 10, 2016, 10:14:16 PM
My wife says I've OCD and laughs. But hey, every bike ride the kids get out their mits and scrub while I eye them out over a beer and fag.

Smart man. Kids have small hands and arms so they can reach the places us grown ups could never hope to reach. :thumbsup

Timbox2

Quote from: nickjtc on May 10, 2016, 11:37:30 PM
Smart man. Kids have small hands and arms so they can reach the places us grown ups could never hope to reach. :thumbsup

Like our wallets :icon_biggrin:
2016 Tiger Sport

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 10, 2016, 10:52:53 PM
Now don't give Dan a heart attack  :bug_eye

:rfl

I've had a right laugh reading all your posts guys.

I've changed all brake pads recently and see the discs them selves as adequate for now how ever I've really got to replace the brake fluid; it's something I still don't understand well enough how to do to be confident in gong for it.

The front tire I had replaced last year with an Anakee 2. I'm really pleased with it; the rear one . . .  :m but the tread is ok.

BruKen the chain has definitely simply stretched as the adjusters where 90 degrees the right way from where they are with the same chain only 1 year ago !

Scott-oilers I'm not in to.

I like the sound of these chains that require a bit less maintenance.

Also I get it loud and clear, I'll replace the chain and sprockets at once but this'll need to wait a week or two till I get the funds.

Guys you've been such stars. I'm learning so much.

:notworthy
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

BruKen

Quote from: nickjtc on May 10, 2016, 11:34:38 PM
:iagree, being a Scottoiler devotee.

All the luddites gonna crawl out now and tell ya about the good ol days before o-rings and steam engines were all the rage  :augie Them days when stokers ran about with a oil can dispenser oiling bearings and whatnots on the fly. Dribble dribble . Got one in my garage too. Ubiquitous red. Makes a fekkin mess too ;)

:bad

nickjtc

Quote from: Danwarb on May 10, 2016, 11:43:23 PM
the rear one . . .  :m but the tread is ok.

Figure out how old it is by looking for the date 'stamp' in the sidewall adjacent to the DOT letters. If it is over 5-7 years old, irrespective of how much tread is left, you might want to think about replacing it.

We're really good on this forum about helping others spend their hard earned cash! :icon_lol: :*&*

Danwarb

Quote from: nickjtc on May 10, 2016, 11:49:08 PM
Figure out how old it is by looking for the date 'stamp' in the sidewall adjacent to the DOT letters. If it is over 5-7 years old, irrespective of how much tread is left, you might want to think about replacing it.

We're really good on this forum about helping others spend their hard earned cash! :icon_lol: :*&*

:*&*

I can tell !

Ok I'll check and add it to the list !

:sign13
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Hi guys,

I've found the rear sprocket here for £25:

http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/product.php/689553/

The engine sprocket for £15:

http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/product.php/5835966/

What number of teeth do you guys suggest I buy for the front sprocket and number of teeth for the rear sprocket?

Also are these sprockets with any motorcycle chain universal?

Cheers guys.

:ear
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sin_Tiger

As I'm sure has already been suggested, buy a set off sprockets and chain (£100 - £140 depending on how bing you want it) and save yourself a few quid, don't forget a new tab washer at the same time.

As for number of teeth? We're you happy with the way it was before, then just count the teeth on the ones you have and order the same combo or we'll send BruKen round with a pack of Jeyes finest medium grit paper   :mut
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 14, 2016, 01:17:48 PM
As I'm sure has already been suggested, buy a set off sprockets and chain (£100 - £140 depending on how bing you want it) and save yourself a few quid, don't forget a new tab washer at the same time.

As for number of teeth? We're you happy with the way it was before, then just count the teeth on the ones you have and order the same combo or we'll send BruKen round with a pack of Jeyes finest medium grit paper   :mut

Thanks Sin !

So you mean go for a pack like this?

http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/product.php/6428493/

How would the bike bah differently? Would the results either be less torque but higher top speed or more torque and lower top speed?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sin_Tiger

Yes.

The engine won't produce any more or less but it will respond differently with respect to acceleration, cruising and top gear roll on. Most riders find the stock gearing works fine for them across the range of road conditions we normally encounter.

You will need a 36mm socket (preferably an impact variety) a solid breaker bar and probably a long bit of tube and a big mate to assist. You're going to lose some oil so be prepared to refill.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 14, 2016, 01:46:43 PM
Yes.

The engine won't produce any more or less but it will respond differently with respect to acceleration, cruising and top gear roll on. Most riders find the stock hearing works fine for them across the range of road conditions we normally encounter.

You will need a 36mm socket (preferably an impact variety) a solid breaker bar and probably a long bit of tube and a big mate to assist. You're going to lose some oil so be prepared to refill.

Thanks Sin.

I'm not looking at doing this my self as I've got a recommended mechanic that says he can do it for £45 !
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Mustang

18 tooth front sprocket
48 tooth rear sprocket
116 links D.I.D. 530 x ring chain
this is a stock configuration for steamer ( the way it came from factory)
replace the rubbing strip and rub block also , you'll be sorry if you don't

Danwarb

Quote from: Mustang on May 14, 2016, 02:32:02 PM
18 tooth front sprocket
48 tooth rear sprocket
116 links D.I.D. 530 x ring chain
this is a stock configuration for steamer ( the way it came from factory)
replace the rubbing strip and rub block also , you'll be sorry if you don't

Thanks Mustang, your a star !

I'll fit an 'X-ring' chain as I've read they cause less resistance.

Being a tart I don't want a 'gold' chain and want a 'white metal' finish chain. Is there much less quality in one of this finish?
Black 1995 Tiger 885